Chapter 22

This chapter tells you how Yuwen Yue survived from the icy lake scene...

*******

The voice seemed to fade into the distance as his body had long lost all temperature. It was as though all his blood had been drained as well, as his limbs were completely sapped of energy. Suddenly, a boom resounded. Lifting his head up, he saw that Yue Jiu was using all his strength to tackle the ice layer above with his head.

Boom! Boom! Boom! The sounds were like thunder, assaulting Yuwen Yue's heart. The blood flowed down from the young guard, quickly diffusing into the water around.

Right now, Yue Jiu's face was paler than snow, with not a tinge of color left in his lips. He was like a ghost that had just crawled out from the grave. With his remaining strength, Yue Jiu continued to swim. Even as his limbs started to go numb, he continued to repeat that motion. Once, twice, again... Suddenly, it was like a ray of light suddenly pierced through the clouds above into Yuwen Yue's heart. This man before him was his subordinate, and had followed him since he was four. All along, Yuwen Yue thought that it was only natural that they follow him. Yet, at this very moment, he was suddenly reminded of words that a certain girl had told him. In her cold beauty, she firmly declared without skipping a beat, "No one was born a slave."

No one was born a slave...

With another boom, another spurt of blood splashed in the water. Even in the frigid water, he could feel the boiling blood. His body was suddenly filled with energy again as he swam up. Pushing aside Yue Jiu's bloodied body, he started to dig at the ice layer with Chu Qiao's dagger.

"I must not die!" he told himself. "I must not die yet! I still have lots of wishes that I want to accomplish." Even as his lungs felt as though they were about to explode from the lack of oxygen, and even as his body was frozen stiff, along with his wounds stinging with pain, he continued to fight to survival like a robot.

I cannot die! I cannot die! I cannot die!

Boom! The ice layer broke, as he floated up. The sunlight pierced his eyes, as the fresh air welcomed him. Breathing in big gasps, he desperately filled his lungs with air.

"Yue Jiu! We are safe!" he shouted. Staring around, he could not find Yue Jiu's figure any longer. Diving back down, he finally found Yue Jiu's body in the depths of the lake. The young swordsman was covered in wounds, with his face completely pale. Eyes staring wide open, his hair was in a mess filled with bloodstains.

With all his strength, Yuwen Yue pulled Yue Jiu up, and forcefully performed chest compression on this servant, and rubbed on Yue Jiu's hand and face hoping to warm him up. Loudly, Yuwen Yue shouted, "Wake up! I order you! Wake up!" In all his life, Yuwen Yue had never cried so hard. On that day, he cried for a slave. In the vast plains, he cried like a wolf howling to the moon.

Three days later, he found Yue Qi who had fortunately escaped death. This servant had gathered the remnants of the Yue Guards and had searched for Yuwen Yue for three full days. There were over twenty guards who had frozen to death because they had repeatedly dived into the frigid water to look for him. After which, they had brought him to the Wolong Mountain. Only after half a year later did he make a full recovery, yet he was faced with a broken future. On that fateful day, he stared at the intel that Yue Qi and the other Yue Guards had brought back, from sunrise to sunset.