Chapter 21

Sorry guys for the long wait...
Enjoy reading...

******

As he spoke, the man realized that he had uttered the wrong words. How could Chu Qiao still be addressed as General, given that she had betrayed Yan Bei?

“General, I… I…” AhJing did not say another word as he turned to leave. The moonlight shone on his body, appearing as a pale shade of white.

Yan Bei missed her presence; it was not just that man alone. Fate was often so irreversible, just like an arrow which had been shot out from a crossbow.

AhJing shook his head slightly as he draped his heavy cloak over his shoulder for some warmth.

Hongye was woken up by the sounds of rain at dusk. She sat on the mat in the big lonely palace, as her greenish-blue robe was slightly tainted with sweat. As the cold wind blew towards her, chills traveled up her spine through the cold beads of sweat, causing some goosebumps to appear on her skin. She rubbed her skin gently, only to discover that her fingertips were colder.

On the other side of the mat, a clear, white letterhead lay there quietly. It had been slightly damaged, showing that it had been used many times. The look in her eyes was cold as the rain droplets fell to the ground, drop by drop. The chimes by the window started to resonate with a clear, pristine sound as the palace curtains swayed slightly and elegantly like a dancer swaying her waist.

The contents of the letter read:

“The situation is critical. Brother, you have three options. Firstly, you can eliminate the Nalan family and its young emperor, then imprison the eldest princess and kill the King of Pujiang. This way, you can assume full control of the political power in Song. Secondly, you can marry the eldest princess and give yourself the title of ‘King of Shezheng’. This way, you can deal with the King of Pujiang, abandon the provinces along the eastern regions, and preserve the land by the capital. Thirdly, you can ask Wei for a union through marriage, but you cannot afford to rile up the royals of Wei, in case they are ousted and replaced. This person needs to have considerable military power, needs to be of an appropriate age, needs to be one of the noble aristocrats there with considerable backing and power. Most importantly, this person needs to be ambitious enough politically to covet after the Wei Empire. Once the wedding invitations are sent out, the King of Pujiang would not dare to dispatch troops towards the capital. Once spring is over, when Jiang Yong sends his army over to the eastern regions, the crisis will be averted.”

There was no need to study the letter further under the lights; everything had been internalized. Hongye leaned by the side of her bed quietly, a deep look in her eyes. There was actually another way, which was for Yan Bei and Song to form a union through marriage. Not only would the crisis regarding the King of Pujiang’s rebellion be averted, Yan Bei’s forces would be further strengthened. They would be able to sandwich Wei from the east and the west, reinforcing each other. However, he was naturally reluctant to do so. He had never thought about this before.

A man of appropriate age with considerable military power, born in the noble families of Wei and power-hungry. How many people like this existed in this world?

Hongye raised the corners of her lips, revealing a bleak smile.

Brother, you will not be able to let go after all.

Presently, Wei and Yan Bei were engaged in battle. The ethnic minorities causing disturbances in the northeast. Within the country, there was an internal power struggle; evidently, the royal family was on the verge of being destabilized. Song and Wei had not been in conflict for many years; their diplomatic ties were stronger than that as compared to Song and Tang. Furthermore, Song was an important trading hub which was prosperous. Wei would not give up the chance to form a union with Song at this time. However, this man that held military power, who was also the Chief Marshal of the Wei army, was the King of Qinghai. He had the backing of his powerful family too. How would he be so easily manipulated by others?