44

On the way back to the anteroom, Kaminari had been asking me random questions, only about half I actually paid attention to. Once we did reach the anteroom and had taken the targets off, I went and found Todoroki.

     "Hey, Todo! Glad to see that you passed," I said.

     "You passed as well?" He questioned.

     "Yup!" I was about to say more but then Kaminari had appeared by my side.

     He put an arm around my shoulders and said, "Yeah, we had to save her from this one dude who turned her into a meatball."

     I laughed. "You guys didn't even know I was there until the end! I'm glad you guys showed up, though."

     I didn't notice it, but Todoroki's expression had changed slightly when Kaminari put his arm around my shoulders.

~

     So the whole class managed to pass the first test. That's actually a relief. But now, it's time for the second test of this exam.

     "Oh, right. For the 100 of you who passed the first test, please turn your attention to the screen."

     I looked up at said object on the wall. It was showing us the testing area we had just been in. I was slightly confused until one of the buildings had an explosion, causing it to split in half. The top of the building slid off, falling to the ground.

     This happened throughout the arena, shocking us.

     "There's only one more round to the exam. Your goal is simple: undertake rescue exercises and save the bystanders who are trapped in these disaster sites."

     So it's rescue, huh? Guess I know what I'll be doing during the test..

     "Save the what now?" Kaminari and Mineta asked from behind me.

     "The bystanders. We learned about them in class, remember? They're people at a disaster scene," Hagakure reminded the two boys.

     "It can also simply refer to innocent citizens on the street," Yaoyorozu added.

     "Use this time to show us how you will carry out successful rescue procedures once you receive your provisional licenses. Treat this as though it were the real thing."

     On the screen, we could see a bunch of different people in the arena. "These specialists have been trained as professional 'persons in need of rescue.' They're very popular. Introducing the 'Help Us Company,' also known as HUC for short," Mera announced.

     "The HUC bystanders have dressed up like injured victims and will be located throughout the disaster site. We'll be judging how well you keep them safe as you go about your mission. Oh, by the way, We'll be scoring you on a point system. If you have more points than the benchmark at the time the exercise comes to an end, then you pass the exam. We'll start in ten minutes. Take care of any necessary preparations now."

     I decided to spend those minutes sitting at the edge of the room. There wasn't much else for me to do anyway. I had barely been paying attention to the conversations going on around me when I heard someone start talking to Bakugou and Kirishima.

     "I think you met Shishikura in the test. My classmate with the flesh-molding power?"

     Oh, meatball dude.

     "Yeah. I took him out," Bakugou replied.

     "I thought so. I'm guessing he may have acted rudely, or perhaps offended you. He has a tendency to try and push his own values onto others. He probably couldn't help it in your case, since you're pretty famous. I apologize for him. I'd like to build a good relationship between our schools."

     I lost interest after that. Well, it was the end of that conversation. I started to pay attention again when Todoroki said something. "Hey, you with the collar." The dude stopped. "Did I offend you somehow?"

     Inase Yoarashi looked over his shoulder, intimidatingly. "Oh, no, I'm sorry. Did I hurt your feelings?" His voice was sarcastic. "Well, the thing is, son of Endeavor... I just can't help but hate both of you. You've changed a little bit since the first time our paths crossed. But you definitely still have your father's eyes."

     I stood up, wanting to go and try to defend Todoroki. As I was walking towards Todoroki, the dude covered in hair spoke. "Something wrong, Yoarashi?"

     "Nope, not a thing, sir!"

     I was at Todoroki's side now. I put a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, don't let him get to you. He shouldn't be judging you based on how you look."

     The bell rang, signalling that our ten minutes are up. "Villains have performed a large-scale terrorist attack spanning all of Insert City Name Here. Since most buildings collapsed, there are many injured."

     "Due to heavily damaged roads, the first responders have unfortunately been delayed for the time being." The walls started to slowly fall backward. "Until emergency services arrive, the heroes in the area will lead the rescue efforts. Your task is to save as many people as you can and help the injured. And with that... Begin!"

     We all then ran to the scene. I decided to stay with my class for now. We all followed Midoriya as he decided to follow the sound of a crying child. "Look! There he is!"

     "My grandpa! He's been crushed! I think he's hurt," the HUC child cried.

     "Oh no. This looks bad," Midoriya pointed out. "Where is he?"

     "'This looks bad'? That's points off your score!"

     So they're the ones grading us? I guess that makes sense...

     "The first thing you should do is see how bad my injuries are and if I can walk. I'm breathing kinda weird, too, aren't I? And didn't you even notice that I'm bleeding from the head? People with hero licenses should be able to judge a victim's condition in an instant!"

     Well damn.

     "Your gross lack of training is all too apparent right now. You better shape up and pay attention, newbies! You're not just here to provide aid. Until the police and firefighters show up, you need to exercise authority and make sure this goes off smoothly. Think of the victims here. They must be terrified. There are many aspects of being a hero. But take note. There is one thing to keep in mind above all else. Anyone who needs rescuing is having the worst day of their lives. And the first thing you said was 'This looks bad'? Seriously?"

     Midoriya hit the sides of his head with his hands. "Hey! It's fine!"

     The HUC child went back into character. "Over there! My grandpa!"

     Midoriya crouched in front of him. "Don't you worry. We'll definitely save him." He turned to us. "I can carry this boy to the first aid station myself. You guys, go on without me!"

     I stayed back when the rest of the class moved away from us. "Let me take him. I can stay at the first aid station and help them," I told Midoriya.

     "Are you sure?" He asked me.

     "Of course. Now, hurry up and join the class."