Chapter Three: Party

The final bell rang. I got up from my seat and walked out of my last class of the day, making my way out of school.

The conversation I had with Beth and Nelly wouldn't leave my mind. Since lunch, I've been thinking about what she said.

'He's unstoppable, he has gone too far.'

It was how she said it that creeped me out the most.

I walked down the path and found my mum leaning against the car door, waiting for me. "Hey, how was school?" She asked, hugging me.

"It was okay, I guess," I shrugged.

I got into the car and put my seatbelt on. "I have some news." She cheers, "My boss, Mr. Johnston, has invited us to a gathering he is hosting tonight."

"Do I have to go?" I groaned.

"Yes, we are new here, Lydia! I can't go myself."

I frowned and crossed my arms. "Fine." My mum let out a small cheer as she tapped her hand to the beat of the song that was playing on the radio.

We pulled up to the house, and the car came to a stop. I got out and ran up to my room to get ready.
"How do I dress?" I shouted down to her.

"Formal!" She yells back.

"Shit," I mumbled, digging through all of my clothes. The one thing I hated the most was wearing dresses.

My mum bought me a dress last year, which now gives me a reason to wear it. I found the dress as it was a full black dress with spaghetti straps. I stood in the mirror, surprised at how it looked on me. I didn't hate it at all.

I decided to straighten my hair and quickly do my makeup, as she was desperate to leave. "Lydia, are you ready yet?" I heard mum's voice from the other side of my door.

"Yes, coming." I grabbed my heels and opened the door.

"Woah! You are stunning." I was stunned by how gorgeous my mother looked tonight.

"Gosh, Lydia, you must get it from me then."

We both smiled and made our way to the car. My mum followed the directions she was given, and we ended up in the town hall.

We parked and walked up the steps to the front door. The doors opened for us as we scanned the hall. Everyone was dancing or talking to each other. We both walked to the middle of the hall until someone tapped my mum's shoulder.

"Ah! Hannah, glad you could make it." A man kisses my mother's hand as he looks behind her. His eyes caught onto me as his eyes widened.

"Oh, Mr. Johnston, this is my daughter, Lydia." I waved as he just stared.

"I see... Nice to meet you. If you excuse me for a second."

I looked over at my mum as she stood and smiled at everyone dancing. Suddenly, she spots one of her friends she met at work today and tells me to join in the fun.

At last, I was alone once again. I made my way to a table, cutting through the crowd of people. I felt eyes at the back of me, so now and then I'd turn around to see people dancing.

I was almost out of the crowd of people until I accidentally bumped into a hard body frame. I closed my eyes, ready for the impact, until I felt their hand touch my waist, catching me before I fell. I opened my eyes as he stared into them.

"I'm so sorry, I'm so clumsy," I apologised. I was so embarrassed. He continued to look at me, not saying a thing. I gave him a small smile as I turned and walked away.

I walked over to a table and wasted time sitting myself, watching everyone dance. The classical music in the background was like a lullaby. I was fighting to keep my eyes open as I looked up towards the sculpted wall to see a massive clock hanging as it showed it was 11:40 pm.

I wanted to go home now. I had finally found my mum, and we said goodbye to her boss.

Before leaving, I turned around one last time, gazing around as I caught the man who I accidentally bumped into staring at me.

If anyone is reading this book I hope you like it so far :)