Mitchlan- I'm Glad You Came

Mitch's P.O.V.

Lachlan had always been the more outgoing of the two of us, going out to parties, getting a girlfriend, travelling the world. I, on the other hand, was quiet, single as hell- actually, I had been until single until I turned 20 when Jake asked me out and we had been going strong ever since, but that's besides the point- and so much of a homebody that I could barely leave the city without getting massive anxiety.

So that was why, when both Lachy and I were invited to London for a YouTube convention, I panicked. I had an anxiety attack not long after I was told and the only people who could bring me down from that was either Lachlan or Jake, and the latter was in Canada. Lachlan had to cuddle with me for almost an hour before I calmed down and even then he still had to reassure me.

"We'll be staying with the Sidemen and we won't be going anywhere that you aren't comfortable with, I promise." He whispered, running a hand through my hair. "I'll be with you the entire time."

My chest heaved a bit and I closed my eyes, still panicked. I hated travelling with all my being because of the anxiety it caused and even if he was with me, it really wouldn't help that much. I still hated travelling.

"Mitch, I promise that it'll all be alright." He breathed. "I'll be there."

--------------------------------------------------

I think the flight was the worst bit, being cramped in a tube of metal hurtling through the sky all while trying to remain calm. We were in business class, compliments of YouTube, which meant we had slightly more room than normal and Lachlan was sitting in the seat right next to me, but I couldn't keep still. I almost had another attack until Lachlan leaned over and spent a while squeezing my hand to reassure me. Let the flight attendants think we were a couple but I was so nervous that I really couldn't care.

"It's okay, you're okay." He whispered, his fingers running up and down my forearm. "I'll still be here."

---------------------------------------------------

By the time we landed I was flat out exhausted, barely able to stand upright and Lachlan's arm resting lightly around my waist was the only way I was able to walk. One of Vikk's friends was meant to be picking us up but Lachy had already texted him, asking him where he was- he was half way there. I sighed but managed to stay standing as we got our bags and fought our way through customs before I finally collapsed at the pick up entrance to carpark, tucking myself into Lachlan's side. He laughed.

"Take a nap if you want Mitchy, Si'll be here in about half an hour."

I only nodded and it didn't take me very long before I was fast asleep, exhaustion completely taking over.

---------------------------------------------------

I didn't wake up the entire ride back to the Sidemen house, Lachlan carried me into the car and then again into the house, because when I woke up it was almost 12 hours later and I was tucked into bed, Lachlan cuddled up beside me. He had just woken up too and blinked at me through half lidded eyes, giving me a tired smile.

"Mornin' Mitch." He mumbled. "You alright?" I nodded.

"Mm." I breathed. "Still tired but alright. Did you carry me in?"

"Yeah, Simon picked us up but you were sound asleep so I just didn't wake you. I fell asleep like an hour later anyway." There was a pause and then my stomach grumbled, earning another quiet laugh. "Do you want some breakfast?"

"Yeah, please." I groaned, slapping his shoulder playfully when he laughed again. "Oh come on, your stomach is like a whale right now too."

"Touché."

We were downstairs in about 10 minutes, where several people were already awake. I waved at Vikk, the only person I actually knew, as I sat down at the barstool beside him. Simon, Josh and JJ were sitting in the other seats or leaning up against the bench.

"Hey Mitch." He smiled, pushing a bowl, spoon, a box of cereal and a carton of milk towards me. "Sleep well?" I nodded. Lachlan slotted himself into a seat on my other side, quickly stealing everything Vikk had pushed in my direction.

"Lachlan!" I whined, attempting to take it back. "That's mine!" He only giggled and refused to give it back, leaving me with nothing to eat, blinking at an empty bench. "You're an asshole."

He only grinned. Josh shoved me another bowl and spoon at me across the bench and I caught them thankfully, reaching across Lachlan to steal back the cereal and the milk. This was usual of the two of us, Lachlan being the overbearing older brother and picking on me like he always did, and the others watching us- laughing quietly. I crossed my legs on the barstool, very deliberately filling my spoon with milk, dumping it over Lachlan's head and then smacking him with it.

"Still an asshole."

--------------------------------------------------

That was how easily I felt relaxed around the other members of the Sidemen. I didn't normally feel this comfortable around anyone, let alone my brothers friends that he barely saw- especially comfortable enough to scrap with Lachy in front of them. It was playful scrapping, yes, but lots of thing made me anxious and this would probably be one of them.

Going to the convention was still nerve-wracking but the others seemed to know because throughout the time we spent there I was never alone, someone was always with me. I was incredibly glad. Lachlan had stuff to do, he was obligated to do certain activities because we had been flown out and technically speaking I was his plus 1, so I wasn't. I stuck with other boys instead, chatting and laughing and just generally enjoying myself.

"Do you and Lachy argue a lot?" Simon asked me one afternoon at the convention, while we were hanging out the back.

"No, not really. It's playful arguing mostly, being idiots, pranking each other. There's only been a couple of times I can think of that we actually argued and that was years ago when we were teens." I mused. "It's mostly Jacqui and Lachy that argue to be honest and there's enough of a gap between me and Steph that we don't argue much. Lachy and I just kinda always got along."

"Wow, I wish it had been that easy between me and my brother when we were little." He laughed, giving me a glance.

"Well it doesn't help that he's always been Mr Overprotective Big Brother so that's probably why." I smiled though. "But I don't mind. I love him and I'm not about to stop him."

"I can see why. You can tell he really loves you, you know?"

"Oh I know." I smiled, running my finger along the tabletop in front of me. "He's always been like this, protective but pushing me out of my comfort zone, that sort of thing."

I paused.

"Honestly, I'm glad I came here." I mumbled. "I should thank Lachy more."

"You should, cause I'm glad you came too."