Lachlan + The Sidemen- Paralyzed

Lachlan's P.O.V.

I don't think anyone knew I was in a wheelchair. I didn't talk about it on my channels, no one could see it on my facecam and I didn't feel like it was pertinent to what I was doing- I wasn't a vlogger or a lifestyle channel, I didn't give advice on how to live like me. I was quite happy that I had a job that could work around my disability and that I could work from home, and I didn't want to ruin that.

But still, no one knew.

Because of it, however, I couldn't travel that much. Airlines did their best to accommodate me but it was difficult- especially with the risk of being recognised. By the time I had a couple of million subscribers I still hadn't left the country, to visit friends, to go to conventions, nothing. I couldn't risk it and by that point I didn't want to see the reactions of the fans if they discovered what I had hidden from them.

My wheelchair was custom, I had had it for 3 years now and had been through 5 others since I was 5 years old, when I was hit by a car. I broke 3 vertebrae in my spine and ever since then I had been partially paralyzed from below the waist. Partially as in I could stand, with aids like crutches or someone holding me up, but I couldn't take any steps. I had learned to live with it. It had been difficult to cope with mentally but once YouTube kicked off it was both easier and more difficult at the same time. Easier because I could afford a house and live mostly independent with only occasional help from my brother, and harder because of the fear that someone would find it.

It was a two way street, and eventually I would have to pick a lane.

----------------------------------------------

"Come on Lachy! It's gonna be great! You could stay with me and go to the convention, if it's money your worried about then I'm sure I can get the boys to help." He said, throwing his arms up to emphasize his point.

But that wasn't what I worried about. Obviously. Vikk saw my pinched look and continued.

"Please Lachy? I've met all of the other boys but none of them have ever met you in real life! We want to meet up!" He was pleading with me now, his eyes wide- giving me puppy eyes.

"Vikk just..." I sighed. "I'll... fine. I'll come to the convention."

He cheered on the other side of the call before I could finish, but I interrupted him.

"Please Vikk, just listen. There's something I've never told... any of you guys." Vikk furrowed his brow. "If I come... it's going to be very obvious. And I'll book the tickets myself."

"O-okay?" He said, confused. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I've told you something and if I don't come, you'll never stop asking. Just... understand that there's a reason."

----------------------------------------------

The reason I had to book the tickets myself was because I had to tell them I was in a wheelchair, which meant I had to get a seat with extra leg room, and I needed someone to guide me through the airport and to take my wheelchair before I got on the plane. Long haul travel with difficult, normally in a wheelchair you had to shift and relieve pressure on your skin so you didn't get skin sores, and getting to the bathroom was even worse.

However, I survived. Two flights, one layover and 24 hours later I landed in London and I was anxious. I didn't know what Vikk's reaction would be and how I would be accommodated. I was first off the flight and it took minutes to get my wheelchair and through customs, which I was thankful for. But it only meant I got closer to Vikk faster.

Lachy: I'm waiting outside by the pick-up area

Vikk: That was fast, didn't you just land?