one

{ chapter one ~ a wardrobe }

Scared was an understatement.
She was terrified.

The darkness engulfed her as she pounded on the hard wood of one of the wardrobes that had been thrown to the floor in the mass destruction of Mr Tumnus' cave home. Princess Mila of Narnia was previously watching through the small gap between the doors of the wardrobe as her dear friend fought back the wolves as they demanded him to give up the two humans he had been associating with. She held back her cries and her screams, just as she had done ten years prior when the White Witch brutally murdered her two aunts and her father.

As the wolves tore through the small cave home, Mila had spent most of her days reading within, she sat in the fallen wardrobe. With no chance of escape and no way out. She was certain she would soon meet death. She would soon be blessed with seeing her family again. But the sharp claws of the 'royal' guards never came to hit the wardrobe she had taken refuge in, nor did the sharp teeth of their cruelty clutch her skin causing her to bleed as they dragged her to their Master. Instead the only thing that came was silence.

The icy winds outside masked the terrible screams from Tumnus and the harsh growls and howls from the 'secret police'. All there was was silence. Mila knew better, she waited to cry out in agony, she didn't scream for help. She thought, maybe a member of the White Witches followers waited outside for her to climb out of her hiding place. She thought, maybe, a wolf was waiting to snatch her and kill her quickly. So instead she stayed. The cold and dark and small wardrobe would become her home, until someone she could trust came to help her. She hoped Aslan could hear her prayers.

Mila attempted to stop her eyes from rolling into the back of her head. Pain was slowly taking over her limp body as she lay on her front in the wardrobe. She was unsure where the pain was coming from, whether it was her head or her stomach, all she knew was that blood was slowly seeping. She could feel that, she just didn't know where it was seeping from. Darkness had consumed her along time ago, but after each breath she felt like she was nearing a deeper slumber. The voices of children sounded distant but the chance of hope kept her awake, awake for maybe a slight chance of survival.

"Lucy!" The shouts of a teenage boy came. Lucy. The name was familiar. It gave her hope. Especially if the name of the girl was the same sweet girl she had met a few days prior, but she wasn't sure just yet, so she remained in her dark and solemn refuge.

One heavy breath soon became five as the Pevensie children entered the now run down home of Mr Tumnus. "Who would do something like this?" The voice Mila recognised as Lucy Pevensie came. She knew she could trust the young girl, but who where the other three? Could she trust them just as much as she trusted Lucy even though she had only met her once. Then a boys voice came, the same one that called the girl from earlier. "The fawn Tumnus, is here by charged with high treason against her Imperial Majesty Jadis, Queen of Narnia. For comforting her enemies and fraternising with humans. Signed Maugrim, Captain of the Secret Police. Long live the Queen." The cries of worry for Mr Tumnus came from little Lucy Pevensie. "If he was arrested for being with a human, I don't think there's much we can do." Mila heard a sigh as she thought about saying something. "You don't get it. I'm the human."

The weakened Princess took her chance. She attempted to haul herself up right but due to the lack of nutrition from hiding inside a closet, she instantly fell back down, causing a loud bang from the girl in the process. "What was that?" Came the worried voice of a female, roughly Mila's age. She let out a sigh before knocking on the wardrobe to notify the group they weren't going crazy. "Lucy? Is that you?" Mila said in a croaky voice, she was surprised the young girl knew who it was. "Mila." Lucy spoke to seemingly no one. "Where are you?" Mila's voice was dry, she could barely say another word, so instead she pounded on the side of the wooden box that held her prisoner. "Help me, Ed." Came the same voice from before. Mila soon felt her body lift with the wardrobe before the doors flung open.

She winced slightly, fully expecting to hit the harsh, wooden floor that was dotted with the sharp shards of Tumnus' tea set. But instead she felt two arms wrap around her torso. "Are you okay?" Looking into the blue eyes of the boy who caught her Mila nodded. Her eyes quickly averted away from him until they landed on Lucy. "Oh Lu. They found Mr Tumnus! They know about you." The little girl frowned at the sight of the beautiful and strong Princess she had met only days ago. She was a mess, blood treacled down her now ghostly pale face, the bags under her deep, brown eyes where illuminated by the sun light that only reached the girl's face as it bounced off of the white snow. And her pretty, ivy dress was torn. "How didn't they find you?" Mila shrugged. "I'm unsure, but we have to find Tumnus." Lucy nodded, agreeing with the Princess. "I'm guessing this is your family." Mila whispered into the cold home. "Yes." She turned to smile at each of the siblings, her eyes landing on the blonde boy from earlier. She remembered those stunning blue eyes. "I-I'm Peter."

Edited - 19/04/2023