two

{ chapter two  ~  home again }

{ chapter two ~ home again }

The crashing waves only brought one thought to Mila's mind. The soft sands beneath her, now, bare feet only made her think one thing. The beautiful view that stretched far off into the distance only made her feel safe and secure because she could only think of one thing. She was home.

Queen Mila smiled as she watched the Pevensie siblings rush off into the sea. They splashed and played as they, too, were happy to be home, because Narnia was their rightful home.

The young Queen simply observed her husband as he splashed and acted childish in the waves amongst his siblings. Although she was too far to tell, she knew the Narnian sun was shining brightly in his eyes causing them to reveal all types of deep blues and making them look like shimmering sapphires. She could see his smile. A smile that made her world light up. A smile she would always describe when one of her old Narnian friends asked her what she adored about the King. But what she observed most was that the boy was a King again, in every right he could act as Kingly as he wanted. "Mila!" He shouted, which shook her from her thoughts. "Aren't you coming?" He asked her eagerly.

Mila discarded her heavy red blazer as she rushed towards the sea. Her laughter filled the air quickly, a laughter that all Narnians throughout the ages had remembered to sound like a melody, but of course, she didn't know that. Peter grasped the girl and twirled her around as she reached him. The young Queen held his cheek as she quickly placed her lips against his. She had missed feeling sparks fly as she kissed him, maybe that kind of magic only happened in Narnia. "Edmund!" Mila shouted as she glanced at the boy who had drifted into his own memories. "What is it?!" Peter shouted as he and Mila splashed the boy. "Where do you think we are?" He asked. Mila chuckled. "Where do you think!" Her best friend turned to her. "I don't remember any ruins in Narnia." Mila glanced up at where he was looking. Neither did she. Mila carefully took herself away from Peter's grip as she made her way back to the beach. "Where are you going?" Peter called. Mila's breath hitched. There was only one place that belonged on cliffs as beautiful as those, especially with a view as beautiful as the sea before her. But she had to make sure. "Exploring!" She shouted back, her voice higher than usual, a slight uneasiness settling in the pit of her stomach. "Aren't you lot coming?"

Mila had remained silent as she rejoined her family. She hoped her gut instinct was wrong. She and Peter explored the beauty of the ruins, the old walls held secrets, and many of them were theirs. "Who do you think lived here?" Lucy asked. Mila joined her on the, now destroyed but still beautiful balcony. "I think we did," Mila spoke the first words she had done since the family caught sight of the ruins. Susan agreed as she held up a gold chess piece. "Hey. That's mine." Edmund said, taking the small gold piece from Susan. "From my chess set." Peter held Mila close. "Which chess set?" The girl chuckled. "Well he didn't have a solid gold chess set in Finchley did he?" The girl felt her deep, brown eyes wander for a moment before she locked eyes with Lucy. "It can't be," Lucy mumbled before she and Mila rushed off. The family followed.

"Don't you see?" Lucy smiled. "What?" Peter said clearly not catching on. "Imagine walls," Mila told him as she pointed to where they would have been. "And columns there!" Lucy added as she placed each of her siblings in front of ruined stone thrones. Mila stood by Peter, her eyes glancing to where the roof would be, "And a glass roof." The girl frowned. She imagined how it would have been. "Cair Paravel." Peter gasped. Mila sighed, her gut instincts as right. "Who would've done such a thing?"

The family explored the ruins of their home a little more. Mila furrowed her brows as Edmund bent down. "Catapults." He stated. "What?" Mila and Peter said. "This didn't just happen. Cair Paravel was attacked!" Mila shook her head, "But Narnia was at peace. Who would've attacked?" The young Queen sighed, before following the boys toward a secret cove.

Mila watched as Peter broke down the weather-worn, wooden door. He tore his shirt slightly before preparing some sort of torch. "You wouldn't have any matches would you?" He asked. Edmund began looking through his bag, "No! But would this help?" He asked, pulling out his new torch. Mila chuckled alongside the family. "You couldn't have mentioned that a little sooner!" Peter groaned as he laughed but he still gratefully took the torch from the boy.

Mila smiled in awe as she entered the dark cove. Hints of gold were lit up by cracks in the wall that allowed light to cascade through. "It's still here." She gasped before rushing over to the chest of her own. "I can't believe it." Peter smiled as he joined Mila's side to help her with her chest.

Mila stayed silent as she pulled out many things from her time in Narnia. She carefully took a necklace, a locket that held a painting she adored so much, and she tied it around her neck. The girl's deep eyes fell onto two golden bands that glimmered in the light. "Peter." She whispered as she held the larger one up. "I believe this belongs to you." She told him as she presented him with his wedding ring. He grinned as he took the smaller one and slid it on her finger. "I thought we would have lost these forever." He told her as she slid his own onto his finger. "If you'll have me." They both whispered, before going back to their joined chest. "King Lune gifted these." Mila chuckled as she pulled out baby clothes. Peter kissed his wife's forehead. "Maybe that's the reason we lost the baby?" He suggested. "Because we had to go back." Mila nodded. "Maybe." She whispered before pulling out her own sword, as Peter grasped his. "It's what's inside that makes the warrior. Not the blade they hold." She whispered as she held her sword close to her. She heard Peter unsheathe his own, "When Aslan bares his teeth, winter meets its death." Peter read directly from his blade. "When he shakes his mane, we'll have spring again." Lucy finished.
"Everyone we knew. Mr. Tumnus and the Beavers." Mila shook her head. "Orious and the army, they'll be all gone." The young Queen turned back to her chest, as she began to grab clothes she estimated would fit her teenage body. "I think it's time we find out what's going on," Peter said, immediately knowing what Mila was thinking. "We need to find out what's happened to our home."

edited - 20/04/2023