four

{ chapter four  ~  spare oom }

{ chapter four ~ spare oom }

"I'm coming with you, Peter!" The young Queen's shouts were so loud she was surprised the whole castle hadn't heard her. "You're staying here!" Peter argued back with her, "It could be dangerous!" Mila chuckled harshly as she looked at her husband, "Dangerous? Really? I've fought wars, Peter! I'm literally the best swordswoman in Narnia." She gave him a sympathetic look, a look she knew usually made him weak in the knees. "Please let me come on this hunt. We said we'd stay by each other's side." Mila frowned. Peter glanced at her eyes before quickly looking away. He took her hands before letting out a sigh, "Mila." He whispered. "You've been through a lot, you've just lost the baby for heaven's sake! You should stay here and rest. I won't be gone long, a few days at the max." The Queen groaned. "All I've done is rest, Peter! Losing our little Prince or Princess was hard, I probably won't get over it, but I am not going to sit in the palace waiting around! Besides, Susan and Lucy are going." Peter held his wife by the waist, a stern look etched upon his face. "Susan and Lucy didn't just have a miscarriage during their second trimester." He simply stated. Mila groaned once more. "Fine." She huffed folding her arms over her chest, she still wore her nightgown. "I'll get Orious to prepare your horses!" She refused to make eye contact, and a slight stubbornness towards the King had grown, especially whenever they argued (which was rare in their case). "Come on, love." Peter groaned as he tried to get Mila to look him in the eye. "Look at me, please?" He sighed. "Can I at least get a kiss before I go?" Mila still refused. She now even turned away from the King whenever he stood in front of her. It was quite childish but amusing. "Fine, you can come with me. But you ride with me, you remain by my side. Oh and no pranks with Edmund!" Mila smiled before kissing her husband excitedly on the lips. "I do love a good adventure!"

Mila held tightly onto the waist of her lover as the family of Pevensies rode into the depths of the forest. A beautiful white stag galloped ahead of them. The strong autumnal winds blew loosely through Mila's hair, it knotted and tangled her deep brunette locks. The young Queen sighed as she turned to see the youngest boy slow down. "Come on Ed," Susan spoke as she joined her younger brother. "Are you alright Edmund?" Mila asked, concerned about why her friend wasn't being competitive like he usually was. "I'm fine, just catching my breath." He told the girls. Mila and Susan chuckled at one another. "Well, that's all we'll be catching at this rate!" Lucy joined the group of four soon after. "What did he say again, Susan?" The Gentle Queen smiled. "You girls stay at the castle and I'll get the stag myself." Mila chuckled at the girl's impression of her younger brother. "I only wanted you two to keep Mila company." He told them honestly. He didn't want his friend to be alone whilst they went off on their adventure.

The three girls chuckled alongside Edmund and Peter who simply grinned at one another. "What's this?" Peter said, looking at a singular-looking object that had been taken over by Mother Nature. The High King jumped from his horse, he turned to help his wife also. She eagerly stepped towards it. "It seems so familiar." She whispered into the autumn warmth. "I just can't put my finger on it." The three other Pevensies joined the couple. "As if from a dream," Susan added. "Or a dream of a dream," Lucy mentioned. Mila tilted her head as she noticed the peculiar-looking object was indeed a lamppost. "Spare Oom." Lucy suddenly said, a small but confused smile on her face. "Spare Room? Isn't that what you mean, Lu?" Mila said, remembering the past at how Peter would correct the two words from her.

Mila watched as the youngest of the five darted off, "Lucy." Peter called. Susan followed a groan escaping her lips, "Not again." Mila glanced at Edmund and Peter before she followed the two girls. "Lu!" The young Queen called as the group ran through leaves of greens and yellow. "Come on!" Little Lucy Pevensie said once more, an eagerness in her voice. "Stay close, alright," Peter whispered to Mila as he took her hand firmly. "Always." She whispered back, turning to catch a glimpse of Edmund to ensure his safety and closeness to the group.

"These aren't branches." Peter groaned as he pushed a large and soft object out of the way of himself and his wife. "They're coats," Mila confirmed, confused at why and how there were coats in the woods. "Ow Susan! You are on my foot!" "Watch it, Mila!" Edmund groaned. "Stop shoving Lu!" "I'm not on your toe!" "Will you lot stop shoving!" The group of adults kept groaning and arguing as they shoved themselves into a smaller and more enclosed space. Eventually, they all fell out onto a wooden floor.

Peter Pevensie glanced at his surroundings. Spare Oom. The wardrobe from their childhood. They were children again. His blue eyes darted from each of his siblings before he locked eyes with Edmund. "Mila!" He shouted, wondering where his soulmate was. "I'm alright." Her voice calmed his nerves. Queen Mila stood tall in the centre of the room. She wore the same torn dress and cape she had done the day she had met the Pevensies. "Where are we?" She asked as she knelt between the group of siblings. "Spare Oom." Lucy whispered into the silence and confusion of the room. The unlocking of the great wooden door caught the attention of the five. "Oh, there you are!" An older-looking man said as he entered the room. "What were you all doing in the wardrobe." Mila glanced at him, before clasping her hand around a locket. Or a place where her locket should have been. "You wouldn't believe us if we told you, Sir." Peter smiled. "Try me." The older man said, his eyes falling onto the girl who, clearly wasn't supposed to be there. "I'm Professor Digory Kirke." He told Mila as he held his hand out for her to shake, she hesitantly did, thoughts rushing to the front of her mind. "Digory." Mila worded, before a small look of excitement settled on her face. "Digory."

Edited - 19/04/2023