nine

{ chapter nine ~ finally a princess }

Mila's laughter filled the camp as she and Orious slammed blades. Mila could tell slightly that the centaur was going easy on the girl, after all, she was a beginner. "You learn fast." He told her as Mila thrust the sharp blade toward the centaur. "I've had some experience, you know! Just not a lot!" The centaur chuckled. "Still stubborn I see." Mila rolled her eyes as she continued to throw the blade toward Orious'. Their training had gotten intense over the past few hours since they began at sunrise. "Being a spoilt little Princess and a daddy's girl was hard work, Orious!" Mila chuckled before resheathing her father's sword. "My dad told me stories about your father," Orious told the girl. "You're a lot like him. You'll be a great leader, Princess Mila." The centaur chuckled as he watched Mila fiddle with the sleeve of her forest green dress. "You're worried." He spoke. "Your father, I remember, used to play with a loose thread on his clothes. You are doing the same." Mila looked up, "I don't think I can be as good of a warrior as he was." Orious placed his hairy hand on her shoulder. "You're your own person, Mila, whether your better or slightly less. You'll be a great hero to Narnia. Just like King Alexander." The girl smiled. "Right then, that's enough training for today!" He told the girl, clapping his hands as he went to walk away. "Same time tomorrow?" She called, the centaur shook his head. "Take a break. Overworking isn't going to get you better. It'll make you worse."

Mila fiddled with the flowers she held in her fingertips. The colours of yellow and pink seemed to make her rosy cheeks stand out more. "That's pretty," Lucy said as she joined the older girl. "I'm glad you like it; because I made you one." She told her as she placed a blue and red flower crown on Lucy's beautiful brown hair. "It matches your dress," Mila told her as she finished the rest of her own crown. "Shouldn't you have a real crown?" Lucy asked. "You're Narnia's Princess." Mila chuckled. "I do. It's too little now." The two girls giggled. "How was your practice with Orious?" Lucy curiously asked, who shrugged in response. "It's not enough. There's a war happening and there's no way I'll be able to fight with a few sword tricks." Lucy looked at the girl. "What did the sword say, "The warriors within?" Mila shook her head slightly  "It's what's inside that makes the warrior, not the blade they hold." She recited perfectly. "Exactly." Lucy simply said. "It's what's inside that counts." Mila furrowed her brows before watching Lucy stand up. "What do you mean?" But she never received an answer as Lucy had already darted away.

The Princess let out a sigh before leaping up, almost effortlessly, from the ground. She dusted off her ivory and green dress before making her way away from the camp. The grass grew longer around her as she distanced herself from the hustle and bustle of the preparing army and ventured further into the unknown of nature. Mila knew she was safe, she wasn't far from the camp, so if anything happened to her, her screams would be heard from camp and luckily she had her sword. (She brought it with her to practice a little more without Orious telling her to 'take it easy'.) Mila took a deep breath, allowing the warm spring air to enter her immune system. She could smell each flower, she could even smell the salt from the river that ran alongside the grass she was running through. She loved the smell of the salt water, but it pained her also, she was so close to Cair Paravel, she knew that as the saltwater river ran directly into the stunning, shimmering ocean that could be seen from the palace, yet she was also so far. But being hopeful, she knew she would be home soon, she just had to fight first, so she began swinging her sword.

The skills seemed to come to her, she threw the sword around effortlessly as she pretended to impale her victims on the battlefield. With every swing, her beautiful dark hair blew lightly in the wind. Mila seemed to know the new actions and tactics she was performing, almost as if her father's sword had a mind of its own. A hardened smile remained on the warrior Princess's face as she continued to swing her sword. She didn't even question how she knew the actions, she simply just continued with her 'practice'.

As the sun slowly began to sink behind the tall mountains, Mila's arms grew tired. Before her arms fell completely limp, she resheathed her sword before throwing herself to the ground. The Princess lay in the tall grass, to anyone walking past, she would go completely unnoticed. She smiled as a light breeze blew around her. She kept her dark eyes on the sky, the reflection within them revealing the dashing sunset before her. Soon after she closed her eyes, and inhaled deeply through her nose, the wonderful smell of a Narnia spring entering her nostrils once again. She kept her eyes closed, almost as if she was trying to keep the memory in her mind forever. "There you are." A voice said before Mila felt the presence of another lying down beside her.

She opened her eyes as she turned her head, revealing the beautiful, blue eyes of Peter Pevensie. "How was your day?" Mila quickly asked him, not wanting an awkward silence to enter their surroundings. Peter smiled a bright smile, "Splendid. Just Splendid." He whispered, not really wanting to disturb the quietness of the Narnian Nature. "I can ride a horse now." Mila chuckled. "That's useful." He grinned and nodded. "It would have been better if we spent some time together. How was your practice with Orious." Mila shrugged the question off. "The nights still young Peter." She told him before jumping up from the grass. "Walk with me?" She smiled down at him before pulling him up. And the two walked off, further from camp but closer to the flowing river.

Edited - 19/04/2023