one

{ chapter one  ~  a head full of regrets }

Quarters inside the large stone walls of the new Narnian Castle had been set up for Queen Mila.  Beautiful, but empty quarters. Caspian had picked her out the most beautiful of chambers; ones that belonged to his own mother when she was being courted by his father. The chambers had many windows, which caused the stunning streaks of sunshine to flood into her room causing it to be bright and full of happiness. Yet they weren't, although light flooded through every window, a strange darkness hung in the hopeful Queen's rooms. Light blue curtains hung from those windows, the blue matching perfectly with the cream furniture with the golden finish. Anyone would be comfortable; happy with such living quarters, but not Mila. She longed for her husband.

She regretted her decision dearly. She yearned for his touch, his words, his comfort, his presence. She longed for her sarcastic banter and joking with her best friend. She missed her long days picnicking with Susan and Lucy as they talked and ushered about the potential suitors for the two younger girls. She wanted it back. She wished she could've taken it all back. She wished she could go back to the day they left. And she would've went with them. Without a doubt. Because although she loved Narnia, it wasn't the same without Peter or the Pevensies. Because although she was born there, the beautiful country hadn't begun feeling like home until she met the siblings. She just wanted to be home. And her home was with the Pevensies. Wherever they were.

No one. Not even Caspian dared to see how the young Queen was coping. Mainly because they all knew, they all knew she was heartbroken. Within the first few days, Caspian would call for her, and tell her there was a shoulder to cry on. She would tell him to leave every time.

Queen Mila had been given the nickname the weeping queen by maids. Her wails could be heard all around the castle, day and night, rain or shine. She simply couldn't help it. Her thoughts would take her back to Peter, the Pevensies, and even Finchley. She had longed for Narnia whilst she was there, however, she missed the small town cafés and the fascinating lectures she would attend. She missed it, even though she longed to be away from it.

Her wails and cries had become a frequent melody to the people that resided within the harsh and cold stone walls of the castle. Caspian tossed and turned that night as he listened to her screams, he could even hear her small feet pounding against the stone floor as she paced her chambers. He flung himself from his bed and made his way to her room. His knock sounded distant as he waited outside of her room. He waited patiently. "Mila." He simply said his palm resting against the wooden door. "As your friend, I'm worried." He spoke. "And I know you're probably going to tell me to go away like you have these past weeks but I want to let you know I- " his speech stopped as the large door crept open, revealing the small frame of the weak Queen.

"Oh, Mila." Caspian shook his head as he watched her, she wore the same dress she had on the previous day. The bags beneath her eyes were large and those gorgeous brown eyes were surrounded by red. She broke. She crumbled into his arms. "I miss him Cas." She sobbed "I really miss him." Caspian rubbed circles on her back, "I know, but Aslan said you'd see him again." The Hopeful Queen glanced at him, "When? One year? five? ten?" She frowned, "It's too long! I can't wait that long!" Caspian smiled at her, "Forgive me Mila, but it will seem so much longer if you keep moping about. This past month has felt like a year to me, so surely it's felt longer to you." She nodded, "Oh it has, Cas. It really has." The Narnian King took her hand, "Then promise me, tomorrow, I want you to get dressed and come to breakfast. Then we'll go riding. Perhaps practice some sword fighting? We will make a day out of it." Mila nodded, "I promise."

And so she did, she got dressed, went to breakfast, and got on with her day. Queen Mila ensured to keep her promise. And she did...

Edited - 20/04/2023