nine

{ chapter nine  ~  all you have to do is hope }

A small smile formed on Mila Pevensies lips as she sat alone in the small and claustrophobic bathroom of the cafe she and Edmund had decided to go to. Her smile faltered occasionally as she wondered - what if this all went wrong? Two faint pink lines formed on the small wand she held firmly between her two fingers, it should've been a joyous moment. She should've been wondering how to tell Peter. However, her mind simply filled with dread and devastation. What if it all went wrong again?

A knock on the small toilet door snatched her away from her thoughts. "Mi? Are you okay?" Edmund's voice sounded quiet through the large wooden door and her clouded mind of thoughts. "Um, yeah." She called back. "Give me a moment!" The young adult composed herself in the mirror for a moment and took a deep breath. "You're a Queen, Mila. You can do this." She muttered to herself as she delicately shoved the positive pregnancy test into her handbag.

She joined Edmund outside who gave her an odd glance but spoke nothing of it until the two had gotten another coffee and sat back down at their usual table. Edmund Pevensie stared at his sister in law and best friend as she quietly sipped on her coffee. He analysed her face and posture which was slightly different from her usual one. It was one he remembered from their time in Narnia. A specific time to be exact. "You're pregnant aren't you." Mila glanced at the younger boy as she spat her coffee out in disbelief. "How did you." She simply muttered. "I'll take that as a yes then." He said. "You're acting the same way you did after the..." He paused for a moment. "You're worried about losing this one too, aren't you?" Mila nodded, her eyes failing to make contact with the boy sitting opposite her. "Well, I believe Edmund Jr or Edmundina will be a bundle of joy in 9 months' time." Mila scoffed, "Like I said the first time Ed. My child will not be named after you." The boy pouted and attempted to cry, however, this didn't work so instead he splashed coffee onto his face to look like tears. "I just don't see why not, he or she would be a little Angel." Mila simply shook her head as she chuckled. "Don't say anything to Peter, Ed." She whispered. "I don't want him to get too excited." The boy nodded, holding out his pinky as a way of promising.

"Oh my!!" Susan and Lucy gasped as Mila joined them for tea the following week. "Well, don't you look radiant." Mila smiled awkwardly. "Thank You..?" Susan grinned grasping a hand over Mila's, "Congratulations on the pregnancy Mimi." Mila smiled before glancing up at the boy who was walking towards them with cups of coffee. "I'm going to kill you, Ed." She gritted through her teeth. "I'm my defense I only promised you about not telling Pete." Mila rolled her eyes, as she playfully glared at the boy. "So when are you telling Peter?" Lucy questioned as she sipped her tea. "Tonight. Maybe tomorrow. I'm not sure." Mila said honestly, before dismissing the conversation completely.

Peter Pevensie was home late that winter evening, Mila had prepared dinner like usual and waited for him on the small dining room table. "Sorry, I'm late, love. You know how the boss can be." Mila simply smiled as she kissed his cheek. "I know." The two began a simple conversation about their days before Mila began fiddling with her two wedding rings. "What's up?" Peter asked as he dropped his cutlery. He watched as his wife took a shaky breath, "I'm pregnant." She quickly mumbled. "Really?" Peter gasped a large smile forming on his face. Mila nodded her head. "Aren't you happy, sweetheart?" Mila looked up a smile forming, "Of course I am. Just worried. Terrified really." Peter approached his wife, he gently took her hand as he knelt beside her. "We'll be fine. We will have a beautiful little family. I promise."  Mila smiled as she grasped her husband with such compassion. "I guess all we can do is hope."

Edited - 21/04/2023