six

{ chapter six ~ merry christmas }

The scenery from there on out was mainly rocks and trees and lots and lots of snow. So much snow, Mila was beginning to grow tired of it. Although, Peter did share his coat with her, which made the trip a whole lot better. She stumbled slightly as the group came to a stop, but due to her closeness with Peter, he stopped her from falling completely. In any other situation the landscape would have pleased Mila, she would have been pretty happy to let her eyes dance along such a beautiful view, but now wasn't the time to sit and stare at the horizon over the frozen river. It wasn't the time to think about that river melting to bring back summer as she used too many years ago. It just wasn't the time.

"Aslan's camp is near the stone table just across the frozen river." Mr. Beaver pointed out the location they were heading to. Peter looked around. "River?" He questioned. Mila nodded, "The rivers have been frozen for over a hundred years." Mrs. Beaver told him. "It's beautiful when it's flowing though." Mila butted in, the thoughts she had pushed aside coming to her. "From what I remember anyways." Peter smiled, he saw the light dance in Mila's eyes, he liked how happy she looked thinking about her past. She looked happy when she thought about Narnia before the White Witch. "It's so far." Peter sighed. "That's the world dear. Did you expect it to be small?" Mrs Beaver said from beside Lucy. "SmallER." Susan complained. Mila chuckled, she had thought the same many years ago. "Well come on. We have to start somewhere." Mr. Beaver told them before walking ahead with a silent Susan.

"Tell me about it," Lucy said to Mila as she walked in front of the Princess and her brother. "About what?" She turned to the girl. "The river, when it flows." Mila let out a small chuckle. "I was four the last time I saw it, but I'll try and remember." She told her before attempting to vividly picture it in her head. "Okay, so." She said to the girl, now Susan had begun walking with them. "There's this big waterfall, and when the sun hit it on a really hot day it tended to make the water look like sparkling crystals. Flowers of all sorts of colours, I only remember the beautiful yellow ones, as I used to match all of my dresses to them." She giggled as she walked into a daze of her imagination. "The grass! Oh the grass, Lucy! It was so soft between your feet and it was greener than an emerald!" Mila could tell Lucy was imagining it too. My father and I used to have a picnic there every Sunday. We loved the sound of the rushing water. It was always a calm break away from the castle! The trees surrounding it used to dance and sing with the wind! It was truly wonderful!" She opened her eyes again to see the smiling faces of the three Pevensies. "It sounds beautiful." Susan smiled. "Where you close with your father?" Mila nodded, "Very." Susan grinned, "He gave me a necklace for my third birthday." She chuckled, "He said he was going to keep it for my 16th but he was too impatient." She put her hand around her neck as if to feel something that wasn't there. "But it's in Cair Paravel. Hopefully. I left most of my things there. I left my life there in fact." She shook her head. "Less of that. Tell me about Fin-ch-ly." She sounded out. "Finchley." Peter corrected before Susan could. "It's pretty boring really. The war is stopping us from describing any decent scenery." Mila nodded. "There are pretty flowers though!" Lucy excitedly told her. "Oh and trains and cars." Mila's face grew twisted with confusion. "What is trains and cars?" She questioned them. Susan laughed before smiling at the girl, "They'd be pretty easy to understand if you'd actually gotten the chance to see one." Mila listened eagerly as Peter, Susan, and Lucy told her about the wonders of their home. Finchley, England was a lot different from Narnia. But different intrigued her.