fourteen

{ chapter  fourteen  ~  you will meet again, dear one }

Hand in hand, Mila and her children made their way across the busy street. The forceful wind from the dashing cars and buses swiftly struck up a harsh wind that blew through their hair. Markus' grip tightened on his mother's soft and gentle hand, the force of the busy street worrying the small child momentarily, he would relax just as quickly with the response of his mother squeezing his delicate palm or the short and sweet words that came from her mouth. Lexi would occasionally let go, which made Mila frantic as she hurriedly pulled her eldest child back into the loving nest.

For a Monday afternoon, the streets were unusually busy, especially since everyone would either be at work or school, so the sudden large crowding around the usually empty train station confused the mother of two as she made her way over to one of the cafe's that littered the opposite street. She quickly dismissed the thoughts of the hectic station as she and her kids sat down at an empty table and began ordering a light bite. "How long till Dad's train gets in?" Lex asked as she sipped on her juice carton. "About ten minutes ago, darling. He should be meeting us here soon with Auntie Lucy and Uncle Ed." The twins chuckled at the sound of their Uncle Ed, they had been planning on pranking him, and for a bunch of 10 year olds, the small prank was pretty well planned. "I told you two not to prank your Uncle." Mila sternly said, only to expose light hearted chuckle. "Okay, okay. Remind me of the prank again." Mila listened actually interested in her children's shenanigans. She nodded as Markus hurriedly spoke about how Lex was going to 'fall over' and 'graze her knee' when in reality she had plastered Mila's makeup underneath her tights that she was planning on tearing. "Luckily you have a lot of tights then, huh Lex?" Mila shook her head as the girl chuckled.

The sun was warm as it streamed through the windows of the cafe as Mila glanced out of the window, her eyes fixated on the train station as she waited for the three familiar faces of the ones she loved dearly. "Mum! Markus is kicking me!" Lex complained, "Stop it." She simply said. "How long till we can see Dad and prank Uncle Ed." Markus only whined in response. "How long until I can play dolls with Auntie Lu?!" Mila simply looked at the two, the bags under her eyes a lot more apparent through the slowly fading concealer she had applied that morning. She looked physically worn out, not that she had been doing anything to physically wear her out, but waiting for her husband had begun to bore her. She honestly wished she could've just waited at home and watched the boring Monday tv that actually interested her for some reason.

"Have you heard about what happened at the train station, Mindie?" two elderly women spoke as they sipped on their coffees beside the Pevensies' table. The mother slowly began to worry her ears perked as she listened to the two woman's conversations. "A train crashed. It derailed. Apparently, it was horrible!"

Mila's chair screeched across the freshly polished, white cafe floor as she quickly stood up. "Stay here!" She hurriedly told her children, as she forced her way through the now, crowded cafe. "Can you watch my children?" She hurriedly told the waitress who stood by the door. "Thank you!" She called her voice distressed as she darted towards the train station.

She had now only noticed the crowding ambulances and police cars, the flashing lights, the worried pedestrians, and the calling out wives, husbands, parents, and children who littered the barriers that held the station captive. Distressingly, yet politely she forced her way through the crowds to the barrier. "Ma'am you can't go down there!" An officer called as Mila forced her way through the crowds and into the station below.

Her breath was heavy and her feet grew tired yet she didn't stop until she had made her way to the platform that her family should've returned from. Bricks crumbled, metal folded, and the train was derailed as it lay lifeless upon the platform that should've hosted many passengers as they came and went. The young woman could barely keep her screams in as she tumbled to the floor at the sight. Nothing but a ringing was heard within her ear as she glanced around the station, her eyes begged for a sign of life, any sign of life, it didn't even have to be her husband. "Please." She choked. "Peter!" Her silence soon turned into a sob as she crawled her way toward the traumatising scene. "Can anyone hear me? Peter? Ed? Lu? Anyone!" Without an answer after only a few moments, she allowed the thought of death to sink in, something she never thought she'd have to worry about until later in life.

The young Queen was once again shaken, she was weak, pale, sobbing, and distraught. The state she was in when she had first met the Pevensie boy had returned to haunt her as she lost the Pevensie man. "The trainwreck was a tragic accident, dear one." The voice of a familiar stranger rang through her ears as she sobbed. Mila glanced up, the oceans of tears in her eyes fogged her vision however she rushed and grasped the blurred figure. "Aslan."

Mila remained like that for a while, her petite form hugging the great lion that had come to visit and reassure her. "Why." She had simply said as she tightened her grip on him. "Why them?" Aslan shook his mane, "Everything happens for a reason, dear one. Tragic accident or not." Her breath shuddered, "I thought we had more time." She honestly told him, "He's not going to see the twins grow into adults, he's going to miss those troublesome teens, we're never going to get that home in Edinburgh by the lake we used to talk about. He won't get to walk Lexi down the aisle, he won't be able to give Markus our rings to marry the one he loves. I wish we had more time." She watched as the lion nodded. "He will be watching Mila, he will always be beside you to guide you, the same with Edmund and Lucy." She nodded, trying to acknowledge that as much as she wanted to beg Aslan to bring them back it most definitely wasn't going to happen. "You will see him again, and so will Alexandra and Markus." Many thoughts clouded her mind as she thought of all of the memories, but another thing remained her children, how was she even going to explain this?

"Just tell me they're fine Aslan, tell me that death came quickly and they didn't even have the chance to process it. I don't want to know that they were in pain. I don't want to know that Peter had a chance to think of us losing him. Tell me they're at least in a better place." The majestic lion nodded, "It was painless, my Queen. And each and everyone one of them have returned to their rightful place." Mila smiled, "Home?" She watched as he nodded. "And Alexandra and Markus will get their chance to learn and thrive just as Peter and his siblings did." She let out a breath, "They'll get to experience home?" Aslan nodded. "Now, I have to return to normality, and as shall you. Your children need you, Mila, now more than ever." She smiled and nodded. "Aslan? I know you'll see Peter and everyone when you go back. Can you tell them I love them? I wouldn't ask but it means so much to me." Aslan bowed, "Of course." He simply told her before vanishing before her very eyes.

With tear-stained cheeks, Mila returned up the steps from the destroyed underground station. She was quickly joined by the worried faces of her children who grasped her legs tightly and needingly. Mila had never held them so tightly before, but she never wanted to let go. "Can we go see Daddy now?" The simple request forced her to break down again, something she didn't want to do in front of her children. "Daddy's gone away." She whispered, "When will he be back?" The twins felt the grip from their mother tighten. "Not for a long time, my loves. Daddy, Auntie Lu, and Uncle Ed have gone home, to Narnia, they were needed there." She hurriedly whispered to them, not wanting to tell them the full truth just yet, she hadn't even accepted it herself.

He was gone - physically. Mila could still occasionally feel his presence. She could feel the warming comfort of his arms as she slept alone in their double bed. She could feel his eyes staring as she cleaned the dishes, just as he always did, however, whenever she turned she didn't see his smirking face or childish smile or those glimmering, sapphire blue eyes she adored so much. She could hear and feel his aura as the twins played in harmony, something they only ever really did around Peter. She knew he was there, and although she couldn't see him or kiss and hold him, she occasionally thanked him, just for simply being there. The two were destined to be together, and Mila knew she would definitely see him again.

Edited - 21/04/2023