five

{ chapter five ~ underneath the starlight }

The small cries from Mr Fox where drowned out by the crackling noises of the warm fire. Princess Mila sat beside Peter, she winced in pain every so often as he tried to clear up her still blood stained head. He mumbled an apology every so often. Mila sighed as she watched the boy tip a small amount of alcohol onto a new piece of cloth. "We should have sorted this sooner." He told her as he struggled to wipe away the dry blood from her brow. "Hopefully it won't get infected." The girl nodded, agreeing with him. The light from the fire gave Mila the warm glow she had been needing, although she looked beautiful pale (and sickly, might I add) the warm flames brought out the natural freckles that dotted her nose and cheeks. "You have freckles." Peter smiled as he glanced at the small dots that covered her blushing cheeks. The Pevensie boy watched as she glanced down at them from beneath her long lashes, she then put her hand to her face. "I've never liked them." She told him. "I think they look silly." Peter chuckled and shook his head. "No, they don't." He whispered to her as he brushed her hands from her face. "You look cute." He hadn't realised what he had said until after he had stared into her dark eyes for a while. "The freckles. I mean. They look cute. Not you." Mila giggled slightly at the sight of Peter's eyes dancing everywhere but her own. "Not that you aren't cute." The Princess smiled when he seemed to have calmed down. "Thank You." She smiled at him, "Your eyes." She said, feeling somewhat obliged to compliment him. "They're really pretty, you know. They have this shine in them that reminds me of the stars." Peter grew a deep rouge before mumbling a quick thank you to the girl.

The truth was, Peter Pevensie wasn't used to the attention. None of the girls on his street or the friends of Susan batted an eyelash his way. He had very little experience with girls, apart from the fictional characters from fairytales he had read and often grew slight crushes on but he didn't talk about that. The attention from an ordinary girl would have been nerve-racking but from a Princess... Peter didn't really know how to react.

Mila felt the same. Talking to a boy was nerve-racking. The only boys that had ever really complemented her were her father and uncle when she was young. And Aslan when he met her all those centuries ago. Since then, the only compliments she received were from the secret police when she would accidentally come in contact with them, and even those were somewhat backhanded. Hearing an actual boy, not a centaur or fawn, her own age give her a slight bit of flirtation she was a blushing mess. But she knew better than to fall for him straight away. A Princess has to have options, or so her aunts would say, would he be right to help rule by her side? But Mila didn't really have that problem to think of; she didn't have her country anymore.

The soft snores of Susan and Lucy created noise in the makeshift camp. The loud snores of Mr. Beaver genuinely disrupted the peace but Peter and Mila didn't seem to mind. They both shared his coat as they lay together under the stars. "My eyes don't sparkle like that," Peter whispered as he pointed out a bear constellation. "They do!" Mila moaned in protest. The conversation, more like a debate, about how pretty Peter's eyes were had been going on for the past hour. "Well if mine remind you of the stars what do yours remind you of." She shrugged, "They're brown. Brown eyes are boring." Peter slightly shook his head, "But in the sunlight, they look like pools of honey." He whispered. "And if the light hits them at the right angle, they light up like the night sky." Mila smiled. "Brown eyes, I read somewhere, hold mystery and beauty. You may not think it Mila but your eyes are gorgeous." It was now her time to huff, although what he said was sweet, Mila didn't believe him. "I believe my eyes show darkness because of all of the tears I've cried." She mumbled. "My father used to say they were a light brown, almost hazel, but since his passing, they've sort of deepened. They're almost black now." Peter frowned. "They may be almost black Mila but, right now, I can see the constellations reflecting in them. The light could show hope." Mila didn't really know what to say, as much as she tried to put herself down about the insecurity of her eyes, Peter made her like them that slight bit more. "Now, no more talking about your insecurities. Not everyone is perfect Mila, that's just the way the world works." She nodded, seemingly agreeing with him. "Don't fight me on this, but your perfect." She mumbled, Peter couldn't hear her over the snores of Mr. Beaver, "You and your family. And even if you're not the people to help us and Narnia. Your still perfect."

Mila and Peter stayed silent after that, in each other's arms to stay warm as the fire had blown its last breath a long time ago. Soon, both Peter and Mila were snoring lightly. Both in content with being together at that moment. Nothing crossed either of their minds in their world of sleep, no horrors or terror. Just happy thoughts. And that's how it should forever be.

Morning broke almost as quickly as Mila had closed her eyes. "Thank you for your kindness." Mr. Fox spoke as soon as everyone was awake. "But I'm afraid that's all the cure I have time for." Lucy's smile dropped almost instantly, "Your leaving?" She questioned making the fox nod. "It's been a pleasure my Queen and an honor but time is short and Aslan, himself, has asked me to gather more troops." The beavers gasped. "You've met Aslan?" He spoke, "What's he like?" Mrs. Beaver asked in awe. "Like everything we've ever heard. You'll be glad to have him by your side in the battle with the White Witch." Mr. Fox said, mainly addressing Peter. "But we're not planning on fighting any war," Susan spoke up before her older brother could. "But surely King Peter. The prophecy!" Mila simply put her head down, the pressure Peter would have felt would probably have been unbearable. "We can't go to war without ya." Mr. Beaver told him. Peter let out a sigh as he ran his fingers through his dirty blonde hair. "We just want our brother back," Peter said, in all honesty. Mila rested her hand on the boy's shoulder and gave him a comforting smile, "And we'll try everything we can." There was an awkward silence for quite some time. "Mr. Fox, if you see Aslan tell him to expect us shortly. We need his help to save Edmund. And tell him I may need some training. There's a war soon. And I'm planning to help." Mr. Fox bowed at Mila's words. "Thank You." She finished. "It's a pleasure, my Princess. As was it meeting you. Hopefully, we meet again, in less brutal circumstances." Mila smiled and nodded before waving the fox goodbye. "We should get going." Mr. Beaver spoke as he dusted himself off. "Aslan's camp will be quite a walk yet."

Mila jumped up, so fast she felt slightly dizzy. She tucked her hair behind her ear before turning to the Pevensies. "Don't feel pressured into fighting this war." She whispered to them so it was out of earshot of the Beavers. "Aslan and I will figure something out." Peter smiled gratefully before taking Lucy by the hand. "Hurry up!" Me Beaver called back. Peter rolled his eyes slightly causing Mila to chuckle. This adventure was going to be a long one.

Edited - 19/04/2023