one

{ chapter one  ~ the proposal }

{ chapter one ~ the proposal }

"I don't get it, Su." The now, 21 year old, Queen Mila sighed as she threw herself onto the white sheets of Susan's bed. "We've been together for seven years! I didn't think we kept secrets from each other, but he's creeping from our chambers early in the morning and not returning till late! I feel like I never see him anymore." The girl sighed. "Well, he is the High King." Susan reassured, she obviously knew the situation, "Maybe he's just busy." Mila sat up, her tiara slipping from her messy brown hair slightly. "Yeah, maybe." She sighed. The girl rested her hand on her knee before laying her face on her palm. "How did practice go?" Susan asked, changing the subject completely. "I haven't been practicing." She told the girl. "I've been fretting!" She groaned. "Do you think he's going to leave me? Did you see the way that girl from Archenland was looking at him? She was pretty, I'm sure Peter would prefer her over me any day!" Lucy who had entered the room midway through Mila's rant joined her on the bed. The fifteen year old Queen lifted Mila's head as Susan sorted out her crown. "You're being ridiculous Mi!" Lucy told her. "Peter loves you and only you, you are so in love I don't think you'd ever find your way out of love!" Lucy smiled, "Anyway, Edmund's looking for you. He said he's ready to beat you again in training." Mila rolled her eyes, "Beat me? He's joking, right? I'm unbeatable, I'm Narnia's sword-fighting champion!" Lucy grinned at Susan. "Then you should go show him." Susan chuckled. "You should go show him who's the best, just please don't hurt him too badly. He's a drama Queen." Mila chuckled as she rushed to the courtyard to meet Edmund.

"A little birdie told me you think you're better than me!" Mila shouted as she approached Edmund, a grin on her face. "I don't think, I know." He told his best friend as he pulled her in for a hug. "But I guess we'll never know." Mila furrowed her eyebrows. "What do you mean, we'll never know?" She questioned him. "We're not training today, besides this whole champion thing is pretty childish don't you think? Your the best swordswoman, I'm the best swordsman." She simply agrees, knowing arguing with Edmund never went anywhere. They always seemed to end up getting ice cream after literally being at each other throats moments prior. "Oh, and I have a surprise for you." Mila smiled. "What is it?" The teenage boy rolled his eyes as he 'booped' the girl's nose. "Well if I told you it wouldn't be a surprise." He spoke the obvious as he handed her a pretty red ribbon, "Follow it." He told her. "Wait, Ed! Explain further!" She called. "Just follow it, Mila!" He called back, his giggles distancing as he rushed out of sight.

Mila glanced at the small and dainty red ribbon, she let out a sigh before following Edmund's instructions. Passing the shimmering water fountain, and crossing the old wooden bridge that had a view of the ocean. Mila found herself making her way down a familiar path. Her journey came to an end as she stood amongst the beautiful flower field of her childhood. She chuckled as she untied the ribbon from the single yellow rose that lay against a pretty willow tree. "You've always liked the colour yellow." A deep voice came from behind. Mila turned as she smelt the flower. "Why hello stranger." She said as she eyed up the boy of her dreams. "Long time no see." Peter sighed, he hated how sad she looked. "I'm so sorry, my love, I've been busy planning this." Mila smiled slightly, "You've barely spoken to me for weeks because you were planning a trail for me to find a flower?" Peter shook his head before kissing the girl. "No, I've been planning this." He pointed to the beautiful picnic blanket that lay amongst blossoms of every colour and fragrance. "Oh, Peter!" Mila squealed as she flung her arms around him. "I love you!" He told her. "I love you more."

The two royals dined like Gods as they picnicked. "I actually brought you here for a different reason." Peter suddenly said as the sun had begun to set. The deep pink haze that surrounded them set the mood. Peter took Mila by the hand as the two stood underneath the Willow tree. He coughed nervously before looking into the eyes of the girl he loved. They had been each other's firsts, but still, he got all stuttery and sweaty-palmed whenever he was around her. "I'm just going to go straight to the point. Because if I tell you what I rehearsed I'll mess it up and this will become a disaster." Mila chuckled. "Tell me, Peter." She told him, a simple but warming smile framing her face.

The young man took a deep breath.

"I want to marry you, Mila Jones. I want to marry you because you're the only person who has made me feel complete through all of these years, with you by my side I feel like a better person. Seven years ago to this day, I met a beautiful and independent girl, you, in case you hadn't realised, and I knew from that moment that you were special. I got these jittery things in my stomach, and to this day, they have never gone away, that must mean you the one! You, my love, my Queen, my world, are the only one I want to wake up to and the only one I want to kiss goodnight, for the rest of my life. The first time I looked into those stunning eyes of yours I fell so deeply in love. And when you in love and you've cherished moments with your soulmate, there's only really one thing left to do. So, um," Peter grabbed a red velvet box from his back pocket before getting on one knee. "Will you, Mila Jones, make me, um, the happiest man alive, and marry me?"

Mila's eyes had begun to water, her smile grew wider as she stared at the man of her dreams kneeling before her. "Say yes." He whispered to himself. "Oh, she's going to say no." Mila chuckled as she knelt down in front of Peter. She took her finger and lifted his chin so his eyes would meet hers. "Yes." She told him. "Of course, I want to marry you." Peter excitedly flung his arms around Mila. The two lay in each other's arms on the picnic blanket until after dark. "I think we should head back. What do you think future wife?" Peter said as he held out his hand. "I agree future husband," Mila said as she grasped the young man's hand.

As the two entered the palace, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy waited eagerly for their return. "So when's the wedding?" Edmund asked. "Ooo a Royal Wedding! How exciting." Lucy squealed. "I can help design the venue if you want!" Susan smiled. Peter frowned. "She said no." Mila sighed. "I'm not ready." The three Pevensies' faces dropped from their previous joyous expression to one of sadness and confusion. Mila started laughing. "Yes Su, you can plan the wedding. Lucy, I need your help with a dress and Ed, please stay out of the way until the big day. Any disasters will be blamed on you." She chuckled. "As you wish future Mrs. Pevensie." He bowed, jokingly. The siblings rushed to surround the couple. A royal wedding would soon be in the works.

Edited - 19/04/2023