sixteen

{ chapter sixteen  ~  for Narnia }

{ chapter sixteen ~ for Narnia }

"They're coming Sire, in numbers far greater than our own." Mila held her sword firmly in her left hand as she awaited the arrival of the witch's army. "Numbers do not win battles!" Mila agreed. "No, but I bet they help!" He groaned, still not fully believing he could lead the Narnians to victory. "We can do this," Mila told him, which caused him to smile. "Be careful okay?" He said as he look down to meet her brave gaze. "We'll look out for each other. A Narnian Army is family in my eyes. And families look out for each other. You taught me that." He lightly took her hand in his own, bending down to kiss it gently. "Please say we'll get through this." She mumbled. "We'll get through this." She told him, obliging to his needs. "My King." She smirked, before preparing her stance for battle, just as the Witch's Army rolled over the peak of the hill. For possibly the last time, although the three had already promised it not to be, they all glanced at each other. Peter and Mila locked eyes before the two ensured Edmund felt ready. His nod secured everything. Peter unsheathed his sword. Mila's face remained stern, she was prepared, she was eager, and she was ready for battle. The army cheered from behind her and the opposing army charged toward them, they were eager for slaughter.

"Let them run to us, it'll tire her army out a lot faster, giving us the advantage," Mila told Peter as they prepared the battle plan. "They're hungry for death and destruction, her army won't hesitate to run at us first, then we'll attack, just as they reach us."

Mila watched as the army grew nearer, the smirk on her face never faltered as she watched the enemy run, all whilst growing tired and weaker. She allowed Peter to make the command. She watched as his sword made the signal. The first stage of the war had begun.

She observed as eagle-like beasts flew overhead, dropping rocks onto their enemies. This stopped many of the apprising teams. Their bodies lay crushed beneath Narnian boulders. But, the witch's army where skilled with archers. Narnians were shot left and right, Mila watched as they fell to their deaths after being impaled.

"Are you with me?" Peter asked Orious who stood by the children. "Till the death." He replied. Mila nodded. "Till the death." She repeated. She raised her sword alongside Peter as he cried out, "For Narnia, and for Aslan!" The second stage began.

Most of the army were much faster than Mila as they rode on horseback or were half-horse. She ran at a pace that wasn't too fast nor too slow, meaning she wouldn't waste too much energy. Mila was quick to meet her match as she smashed swords with a dwarf follower of the White Witch. Her skills were far better than his, of course. She also had a height advantage, but he had helpers. Soon Mila found herself targeted by three small men, each of them leaping towards her. Her silver armour prevented her from getting too hurt, but her face bled slightly, as did her leg which was now visible due to the slash in her deep red dress. Luckily the colour masked the blood. The girl chuckled, "Is that all you have elf?" She taunted as she threw herself and her blade toward the three. Two down, one to go. She felt this was too easy, she wanted a challenge, but Mila also knew that if she got too cocky she'd meet her downfall. "A good swordsman doesn't taunt their opponents." Mila chuckled as she caught the dwarf's neck on the tip of her blade. She watched as he fell to the floor, "Good thing I'm a swordswoman."

The Narnian army didn't seem to be getting anywhere. No progress was happening during the war. Mila groaned, the only thing that was happening was they were losing. They were outnumbered. They were being defeated.

Mila fought a few more victims, each meeting their death from her father's blade. "Fall back!" Peter shouted as Mila clashed blades with another dwarf, who ended up being killed. "Lead them to the rocks!" He called before riding towards her. "Your leg?" He asked worriedly as he pulled her onto the back of his horse. "Is fine." She told him, "So what's the game plan?" She questioned as the two rode amongst the army. He shrugged. "I don't know."

As the witch's army drew nearer, Edmund set off the archers, as a result, most of the threats were injured or luckily killed. But they were far from safety yet. Mila and Peter rode further, the whimpers of pain from the white unicorn were barely heard as Mila and Peter were flung from the gorgeous beast. Peter got up quickly, the threatening army of the witch charging toward him. "Stop!" He shouted as Orious and a few soldiers charged toward the chaos of the opposing team. Death and destruction grew all around. "Peter!" Edmund shouted, from above, in hopes his brother would hear him. He glanced up, "Mila!" Edmund shouted, pointing to the girl who lay against one of the boulders amongst the rocky terrain.

The Princess coughed slightly, the impact of her hitting the ground had kicked the air from her lungs. "Mila!" Peter shouted, concern and fear lacing his voice. "I'm okay." She told him, she struggled to stand ever so slightly. "No, no your not." The boy told her.

She was in the same state she was in when he first met her. A deep red substance dropped from her head. He watched as her busted lip trembled. Her deep brown eyes were full of fear, and confusion but they still had hope. "We can still do this!" She told him. Peter shook his head, "You're going to get out of here! You're going to go with Edmund and leave." Mila shook her head. "I'm staying Peter. I'm fighting for my country!" Peter held the girl, mainly wanting to support her but he also wanted to get his pleads through to her. "Listen to me!" His shouts, caused her to jump. "I can't lose you, Mila. Not now, not ever!" The war around them had seemed to stop, but it hadn't, it had only grown more ferocious. Mila smiled. "You won't lose me." She told him. "I'm planning on staying with you, as long as you'll have me." Peter held her in his arms for a moment. "Of course, I'll have you! I want to cherish you and stand by your side!" Mila's smile grew wider, she lightly placed a kiss on the boy's cut cheek. "I'll go with Edmund." She told him. "But if I have to, I'm stepping in. You can't prevent that from me, Peter. That's my destiny." He nodded, before grabbing his sword. "Be careful!" She called to him before heading to join Edmund.

She watched as Peter headed towards the White Witch. She watched as many fellows were frozen in time and turned to stone before they were smashed into a million pieces. "I'm going to help Peter," Edmund told Mila as she stood amongst the archers. A bow in her hand although she wasn't nearly as good as Susan. "Edmund!" Mila called as the boy rushed down the hill. "Be careful!" She watched as both boys fought the war. She often shot a few arrows, each one missing but at least she was trying.

"What's wrong? What's happened?" Mila hurriedly said as Edmund and Mr. Beaver rejoined her. "Nothing." He replied his eyes and mind filling with something else instead of listening to Mila as she fussed his wounds. "Peter said get out of here!" Mr. Beaver said. Mila's eyes widened as Edmund unsheathed his sword. "Peter's not King yet!" The girl watched as he darted off, the only thing she knew to do was to follow him. "Edmund!" She screamed as Jadis plunged her sword into his stomach. She had gotten her traitor's blood.

Mila looked at Peter who stood frozen, he had just gotten his brother safe but he was unable to physically do anything. Mila took action. She lunged forward, catching the Witch's arm. Jadis turned, her reflexes quick. "Your time will come!" She repeated the phrase. "Not yet!" Mila shot back as she and the Witch clashed blades. "Ready to die, Princess?" The Witch taunted. Mila lunged, her sword missing the witch by inches. However Jadis' actions were quicker, and Mila was struck.

Things seemed to go in slow motion for Peter, he had just potentially lost his brother and the love of his life in a matter of seconds. Jadis watched in awe as Mila's body fell lifeless against the luscious green grass. 

Edited - 19/04/2023