six

{ chapter six  -  favourable memories }

{ chapter six - favourable memories }

The walk to where Lucy had seen Aslan was long and tiring. Mila remained at the back with Edmund, the two explored the new Narnia as they followed Peter. Neither one had apologised yet; both were too stubborn and both too headstrong. The bright, blue sky soon changed to cast a glow over the land as it became a more pink and orange hue. "Shouldn't we make a camp?" Mila questioned, her voice loud and clear so Peter would at least get a hint. "It was dangerous to venture into the night thirteen hundred years ago, I'm sure it's dangerous now." Edmund agreed. As did Peter as he suddenly called that the group would stop up ahead and make a fire.

The couple sat at opposites of the camp, the rich and warm vibrant flames concealed their thoughts of ponder and their stares to themselves although they were directed to one another.

Peter thought long and hard about how he would apologise to his wife, in Cair Paravel he would take her to a midnight picnic or give her flowers of pink and yellow, but he couldn't do that now. Mila wondered too, how she apologise to the one she loved. She rarely had to do it before, and now she wanted to be the first. She wanted to lie by his side for the first time in a year and whisper Goodnight into the darkness. Mila wanted to wake up to Peter's sleeping face and simply observe him until she came face to face with his dashing, blue eyes.

The Hopeful Queen lay silently for a long while after the fire had given its last breath. The darkness of the forest consumed her, she was disappointed she couldn't lay under the beautiful stars and point out her favourite constellations. The noise of the wind blowing elegantly through the trees calmed her nerves, as did the sound of rushing water that came from the deep sapphire blues of the River Rush. Mila let out a sigh, before rolling onto her front and glancing around their makeshift camp. Back in Cair Paravel, she would roam the dim yet beautiful hallways of their palace until her thoughts could only think of sleep. Or she would wander the gorgeous gardens until sleep consumed her. She would later be found laying on the grass by Tumnus or Oreius.

She let out a sigh as she stood up, the cold air hitting her body as soon as she did so. The Queen smiled at the light that came from the forest. Fireflies. It was as if her feet were floating, she glided towards the beautiful sight. The low humming of the insects played like a melody in the Queen's ears. "Couldn't sleep?" A voice said from behind her. Mila didn't jump nor did she turn to look at the male. "May I?" He asked, all the girl did was lightly pat the rock that she sat on.

Peter Pevensie took a seat beside his Queen. "Look Peter-("Mila, I'm-")" the two spoke quickly on top of each other's words. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have left my sword. I could have gotten Lu hurt." Peter took his wife's hand lightly, "You could have gotten hurt too." She smiled. "I'm sorry I yelled. I just don't know what I'd do without you." The young Queen rested her head upon her King's shoulder. "Promise we won't fight ever again?" She whispered into the air. Peter nodded as he pulled Mila closer to him. "I promise."

The two sat in comfortable silence for a while. The beauty of their surroundings is reflected in both of their eyes. "You know." Peter suddenly spoke up. "My favourite memory of us began like this." Mila giggled as she looked into her husband's sapphire eyes. "It was the beginning of many beautiful memories." She told him as she placed a light kiss on her husband's lips. "It was the beginning of a beautiful life, I wouldn't change it for the world," Peter whispered to her.
The two remained in each other's arms for a while, each of them bringing up random memories from their past, each one sentimental or funny. They even began talking about their almost Prince or Princess. There were tears, there were smiles and laughs. But most importantly the couple was back to their usual selves. Back to their bubbly and romantic (or gross as Edmund would often say, but he loved them really) selves. Mila and Peter were happy and they were home at last.

edited - 20/04/2023