thirteen

{ chapter thirteen  ~  a simple yet sad see you later }

{ chapter thirteen ~ a simple yet sad see you later }

The morning had all been a rush for Mila, usually a Wednesday like this would have begun with rising with the sun and getting the twins dressed and fed before hurriedly rushing them to the local primary school. The Pevensie twins were notorious for being late. However, this morning was different. Mila and Peter had slept in, allowing themselves to rest. The beaming sun that peered through the hastily shut curtains didn't bother them as they simply hugged one another in bed with their eyes closed. Paradise. However it didn't last long, the hustle and bustle of the twins soon filled the small hallway between their bedrooms and their mum and dads. "Here we go." Peter mumbled as he heard the distressed voice of Markus, who was complaining about how Lexi had almost pushed him down the stairs.

"Why didn't you wake us up, Mummy?" Lex shouted as she harshly slammed open the door of Mr. and Mrs. Pevensie's bedroom. "We're going to be late. Again." Markus then said as he rubbed his eyes. "I told you two last night." Mila groaned as she sat up to greet her children with a smile. "You're not going today because Daddy's going on a trip." Alexandra and Markus' eyes widened in excitement. "Are we going? " Markus grinned, jumping up and down as he did so. "Oh please Daddy, please!" Alexandra begged, her pet lip pouting as she batted her unusually long eyelashes at her father. "I would take you all if I could, darlings," Peter told them, his smile widened as his two children climbed into bed to hug their father and mother. "But work only wants me to go, and get back quickly. I shouldn't be too long." He told them. "Besides, if you two came with me, who would look after Mummy?" Peter said to them, only for Markus to scoff. "Mummy doesn't need looking after, Dad! She survived the White Witch, Miraz, and battles in Narnia." He grinned, the twins were proud of their mother and father, and the Narnia stories were something they always looked forward to. "Your right Mar, your mum doesn't need looking after, but you two need to stay here." He told them as he hugged them even tighter, Mila included. "I'll be back soon."

The family of four stood before the large hustle and bustling train station. Mila hauled the large suitcase for her husband, so he could spend a little more time joking and running around with his children. "Platform 4 is this way, Peter!" She called as she watched the 3 loves of her life rush in the wrong direction only to U-turn and hurry back in the direction of the mother and wife. "Have you got your ticket?" Mila asked him as she fussed about his blazer. "Yes, Mum." He sarcastically replied, earning a grin from his wife. "Oh I'm sorry, I thought I had brought my Husband to the train station, not his younger brother." Peter tutted, a light-hearted chuckle escaping his chapped lips, "I hate saying goodbye to you." He whispered, as he lightly kissed her hands. "It's not a goodbye, it's a simple but sad see you later," Mila reassured her teary-eyed husband. She crept on her tippy toes to lightly kiss him. "Mar, Lexi." She shouted at her two beady eyes children rushed towards her. "Be home soon Dad! I have that football match on Saturday!" Markus smiled as he hugged his father. "And I want to play with our swords when we get back!" Alexandra told him, as she was taken into the loving and warm embrace of their father. "Right, that's the last call for the train!" Peter said, at the shouting calls of the conductor. "Be good for your mum, you two!" He firmly told them, "No nonsense." The twins shook their heads, chuckling at the unusual firm tone of their father. "I love you Mi." Peter smiled as he kissed his wife. "I love you more." She whispered to him as she held him tight as if it was the last time she would ever hold him. "Now go, or you'll miss the train," Mila said, unwilling to pull away from the warmth. "What if I want to miss it." He honestly told her. "You can't now, go." She said as she pushed him towards the train entrance. "Remember your meeting Ed and Lu at Oxford on the way back!" He nodded as he turned. "See you on Monday!" He called, which earned a wave from his wife and children. "We miss you already Daddy!" The twins said in unison. Peter blew them a kiss. "I miss you all already!" And before Mila knew it, she was watching Peter leave on his work trip. His waving arm suddenly disappeared into the distance. "It's okay Mummy, don't cry. Dad will be home soon." Mila heard Markus say. She quickly wiped away the tears from her cheeks. "I'm not crying, baby. Now, should we go get some scones?" Her phrase earned a cheer from her children who eagerly grasped her hand and practically hauled her out of the Finchley train station. It's only 3 days, she reminded herself, he'll be home soon.

 Edited - 21/04/2023