sixteen

{ chapter sixteen  ~  home }

{ chapter sixteen ~ home }

A simple and delicate smile etched on her heavily wrinkled and slowly aged face. Mila sat within the comfort of her family home, her fully grown children sat around her, as well as their fully grown children. She had lived an exceptional life.

Mila clutched Lexi and Markus' hands firmly in her own small hand. Salty tears trickled down their grown faces. Mila analysed the wearing on their faces, the smile lines, and the slowly forming wrinkles. Yet all she saw was her little boy and girl. Their small smiley faces as they grew into the brilliant young people they had become that very day. "You two should go home." Her voice was still frail and delicate just like it had always been. "But mum." Markus began, only for Mila to lift her hand causing him to stop. "If today is my last night, then so be it Mar. Passing onto the next life is a destiny, one we all know will soon come." The elderly Queen stopped at the sight of her frowning daughter, "Don't speak like that Mum!" Alexandra whispered, not wanting the playing children to hear. "You still have a few years left in you!" Mila chuckled, "I think Aslan thinks it's my time, and I respect that. Plus your dad is waiting for me, and then you two when your time comes." The mother and children cherished a hug as they remained in the moment for a few seconds. Soon Mila's grandchildren joined, all wanting to hear Narnian stories from their Granny.

That was how Mila spent her last days in Finchley, in the arms of her family until the time she took her last breath. Death greeted her like an old friend, with a beaming of the golden sun and a welcoming roar. Aslan walked towards her, greeting her once again young self as she delicately glided towards his godlike figure. "Welcome Home, Queen Mila the Hopeful." He told her, his great mane bowing out of respect and dignity. "Home." She simply spoke as she glanced up at the beautiful palace in all its glory.

Cair Paravel.

Queen Mila followed the lion's head tilt. She first said her goodbyes to him before she hurriedly and childishly rushed up toward her home. She could hear his voice as soon as she reached the top of the large flight of stairs. It was almost as if she were dreaming. Mila was almost certain she would wake up any minute, she would be lying in her double bed alone, her wrinkled face and hands cold, and from there she would get on with her usual day-to-day life, slowly forgetting all about her dream of her passed husband.

"Get the horses ready will you Ed!" The voice rang out. Mila honestly couldn't believe the sight when she rounded the corner. Peter Pevensie hadn't aged, the stubble of his beard remained as did his soft golden hair that Mila had loved to run her fingers through. He was exactly how she remembered him.

The, once again, young Queen stepped out from around the corner, her eyes locking almost instantly with those of her husband. The dashing and handsome blue eyes that hadn't lost their sparkle after all these years. "Mila." He whispered in awe. She watched as he blinked his eyes continuously, and with every blink, he was almost certain she would vanish from sight. "Destiny." He whispered once again before hurriedly making his way to her, his steps getting faster and faster as he drew nearer. Without saying a word he simply whisked her up into his arms.

The sun beamed through the glass roof of Cair Paravel, and the glistening light cascaded crystals around them as they spun in each other's arms. Neither wanted to let go, even if each other's clutch was becoming painful due to the right grip. "Your my destiny Mila Pevensie." Peter whispered to her as he kissed her gently. "And you are mine, my love."

Destiny is a funny thing... It will bring two together and just so happen to be the same thing that rips and tears them apart. But it always ensures that those same two are brought together, whether fantasy and reality want it or not. Simply because destiny is destiny and that is destined.

And this was our destiny, Peter's and Mine...

Edited - 21/04/2023