three

{ chapter three  ~  a woman's birthright }

Mila had planned the perfect evening to tell Peter the news. The slowly sinking sun cast a sun-kissed gaze over the balcony as the young woman looked out to the wondrous waves of the splashing sea as she awaited her husband's arrival. Her deep purple dress brought out her newly curved stomach slightly more, which would often displease women but to Mila the sight of her stomach was a joyous event.

"Good Evening, my love," Peter said as he made his way onto the balcony to kiss his wife. "Edmund said you needed to speak with me." He told her. Peter looked tired, his golden crown sat crooked on his messy, dirty blonde hair. The bags under his eyes were clearly noticeable. His Kingly duties were beginning to get the best of him. "Hello, Peter." The Queen blushed, it was as if they had taken a step back to when they were teenagers again. "Hopefully my information doesn't bring you added stress." She told him, kissing his cheek slightly as stared into his eyes. "Anything that involves you is never stressful, Mila. What is it?" The girl smiled before lightly placing her husband's hands on her stomach, on top of her own. Peter's eyes widened in disbelief. "We're going to have a baby?" Peter said eagerly, tears filling his blue eyes making them represent the ocean outside of their home. "We are!" Mila smiled, her own dark eyes tearing up too. The King grasped his wife lightly by the waist as he twirled her around. He was ready to be a father. He was ready to be a parent alongside the love of his life. He had only dreamt about it for a while and now, it was actually happening.

The loving couple and excited almost - parents stood tall in the gardens of Cair Paravel. Flowers that grew colours of Pink and Blue dotted the garden as did guests and friends from faraway Narnian lands. Many people came in colours of the gender they hoped/thought the baby would be. Others, including Mila and Peter, wore white, not caring if their baby was a Prince or Princess as long as they would grow up happy and healthy.

"King Lune!" Peter welcomed with open arms as the Archenland King entered their little Garden Party. "King Peter, Queen Mila. Congratulations on the news! Parenthood is a wonderful thing!" He spoke from experience as he proceeded to give them a gift. Mila smiled gratefully. "Oh Lune, you shouldn't have! They're beautiful!" The royal couple smiled as they observed the two baby grows. One pink, one blue, both detailed with beautiful lace. "Fit for the future King or Queen of Narnia." Lune chuckled. Mila folded the two small items of clothing before thanking the friendly King. "I hate to do this on such a special day, but may I take your King? Our chat will only last a few moments." Mila nodded, "Of course. I'll be with Ed if you need me." She told Peter before making her way to the younger boy as he stood alone.

Queen Mila shook her head as she approached the boy, he stood at a table that was covered with champagne glasses, four of which were empty. "Don't get too drunk Ed. We all know what happened last time." She chuckled. "Well, I don't!" The boy frowned. "No one will tell me what I did!" The pregnant Queen laughed. "That's because you made a fool out of yourself! You'd benefit in life without knowing!"  The two friends laughed, champagne glass in each hand. Of course, Mila's was filled with Orange Juice.

"When are you and Peter going to cut the cake?" Lucy asked, a joyous smile on her face. She wore a simple pink dress, tied with a blue ribbon. The youngest Pevensie was rooting for twins. Mila turned, a smile on her face. "Peter and I planned for sundown." She told the girl. "Besides, that boy from Archenland is here. The chef's son." Mila grinned. "I think he's looking for you." The youngest Pevensie grinned before blowing a kiss to her Sister-in-Laws's stomach.

Mila watched, a simple smile on her face as one sister went and another came. "Any young men taking your fancy Su?" Mila asked as the archer took a glass of champagne. She shrugged as she drank the whole glass in one go. "Everyone seems to think so highly about themselves, don't you think?" Mila nodded. "They do seem a little snobby." She chuckled, "Maybe a lot." The two girls, including Edmund, talked for quite a while. Until Mila and Edmund were alone once more.

"I swear Mila!" The boy laughed, alongside his friend who had laughed so hard she was finding it hard to breathe. "If you don't call your future son Edmund, I won't be very happy." Mila shook her head, "My child cannot and won't ever be named after you Ed!" She chuckled. Her eyes wandered to Peter who still spoke fondly about Business with King Lune. "And why's that Mila? Why won't your child be named after me? The best?" Mila laughed at the boy. "Because you, Edmund Pevensie, are the best. Imagine if my baby topped that!" The two friends erupted into a fit of giggles again. Just like they had been for the entirety of the party.

But Mila's laughing was cut short due to a sharp pain slashing ferociously through her stomach. Her groans caught the attention of Edmund who immediately began fussing with her. "Erm. Um. Okay." He begins, the site of blood splashing Mila's beautiful white gown startling him slightly. The crowd hadn't seemed to notice yet, but Susan had seen the look of panic in her little brother's eyes. Instead of rushing to Peter, she rushed to aid the Young Queen. "Mila, breathe," Susan told her. "I'm losing the baby. Aren't I, Su?" The girl gave a look to her brother. "Stay calm okay, I'm going to go get Peter." In one swift motion, Edmund has taken his best friend into his arms as he made his way into the security of the palace.

Mila lay on her bed, tears streaming down her face. The guest had all been asked to leave. Mila had lost the baby. Peter joined her. "I'm sorry." He told her as he took her into his arms. "I should have been there with you when it happened." Mila shook her head through her tears. "How would you have known?" She whispered. "It's my fault. I didn't protect our baby. I wouldn't be a good mum." Peter shook his head, "No, No, my love! You're going to be a great mum! Maybe the time wasn't right! Everything happens for a reason!"

Everything happens for a reason...

Edited - 19/04/2023