three

{ chapter three  ~  journey to the past }

{ chapter three ~ journey to the past }

The stunning sun slowly and silently rose behind the broken home of the Kings and Queens of Old. The beautiful rays cascaded the ruins with beautiful colours of pink and orange as they rose from the darkness. Although the fallen castle was crumbling, it still held the beauty and daintiness it always had. And, even though those fallen castle walls wouldn't be called 'home' to anyone, they would always have a large place in Queen Mila's heart as her home, as her refuge, as the place that kept all of her picture perfect memories safe from the troubles that they had faced through the years. And even though Cair Paravel was ruined and crumbled, it was still magnificent and picturesque.

Queen Mila had rode the night, no worries of danger filled her mind as all of Narnia was now at peace. Thanks to herself and Caspian. The girl had arrived at the ruins of her home just before sunrise. So she waited, waited upon her steed as the sun coated its gorgeous, golden glow across the fallen kingdom. Mila watched in awe, she had witnessed the sight countless times. In fact, it has become a tradition between herself and her husband. On their second wedding anniversary, they had woken before the sun, so Mila and Peter ventured out and witnessed the masterpiece of a Narnian morning. So for every anniversary they spent in Narnia from that day forward, they raced to watch the sunrise. However, on their 10th wedding anniversary, Mila watched the sunrise alone...

She didn't mind as much though, the silence of the beautiful morning allowed her to confide in her thoughts; thoughts that consisted of Peter and herself. Happy thoughts, thoughts that had his themselves at the back of her mind suddenly produced themselves forwards as much fonder ones.

Her bronzey orbs fixated on the castle walls still, even after the sun had risen. She simply admired the beauty of her home. The sound of distant galloping was heard, Mila didn't remove her gaze from the ruins. "Oh, thank goodness you're alright." The voice of Caspian said as the galloping came to a stop. "When you weren't in the castle, we thought something terrible had happened." He told her truthfully. "How would something terrible have happened to me if Narnia is at peace, Cas?" Mila replied, her brown eyes still on the ruins of Cair Paravel. "Something still could've happened Mi, you have to tell one of us when you leave. You're a Queen, after all." She nodded, accepting what he had said but then changed the subject. "It's beautiful, don't you think?" She could feel Caspian's gaze. "Of course." He replied, too watching the ruins. "Peter and I would come to watch the sunrise on our anniversary. Today would be our 10th." Caspian glanced over to his friend, his hand reaching for her shoulder, "Oh Mila, I'm so sorry. I hadn't realised today was your wedding anniversary." The Queen shrugged. "It's alright, it was nice being alone and seeing Cair Paravel and the sunrise." She smiled, her eyes averting to her comforting friend. "We can go back now." Caspian shook his head at his friend's words, "Why don't we make a day out of it? There's food with the guards. We could explore the ruins. You can tell me stories of your time here." He suggested. Mila grinned, "Really? What about your duties?" Caspian shrugged, "They can be left for a day." The young Queen grinned. "Race you!" She called before galloping off, leaving Caspian behind.

Mila smiled as she jumped from her horse. She could smell the salty ocean more vigorously, as she stood on the grounds of her home. "Oh finally." Mila said as Caspian sided with her, "Took your time." The young King groaned, "We both know I would have won that race if I didn't have to stop, put together a small picnic, and dismiss the guards." He retorted. "Keep dreaming Caspian, keep dreaming," Mila told him before grasping his wrist, not forcefully, she was simply excited and wanted to explore her home. "Hurry up, I want to explore!"

Mila and Caspian ventured into every corner of the fallen palace. "There." Mila pointed, "That's where Peter and I married." She grinned. "Over here, this is where Susan, Lucy, and I would have tea." Caspian followed her as she rushed around, pointing and talking about all of those memories as she stood in the place that held them. "Here is where Eds and I thought up the majority of our pranks." She chuckled, "Now I have to tell you, they were some amazing pranks." Caspian smiled, "You are quite the prankster." He told her.

She carried on, darting up and down the ruins as she picked up seemingly useless things, however, they all held significance to the Queen. "Edmund had a solid gold chess set, you know." She said, holding up the Knight. "No one could beat him. He would gloat, of course."

She paused for a moment. The heavy breathing from Caspian as he struggled to catch his breath could be heard. Mila and he hadn't stopped properly for the past few hours, so, given the chance he attempted to get back a small bit of his strength. Queen Mila's eyes wandered before she dashed off again. "Mila!" Caspian called, "Can we slow down? We do have all day." He chuckled before following her.

Mila stood in the centre of the hidden room, a room filled with chests, one she stood in a little over two years ago. With her family. "Wow," Caspian said in awe as he followed down the steps to join Mila. "This has been here all these years? Untouched?" Mila nodded, "Until we returned it had been untouched." She opened a chest, her own. A light chuckle escaped her lips. She hauled up two small items of clothing. One pink, one blue, both detailed with beautiful golden lace. "Baby clothes?" Caspian questioned. Mila nodded, "A gift from King Lune." She said, "Just before I lost the child." Caspian peered over her shoulder. "They're beautiful." He told her.

The two Royals searched through each trunk, and Mila would tell Caspian the small tale behind each one. Sometimes she laughed; others she cried. And as the sunset, Mila spoke of how she missed Peter dearly, but how she was sure they'd be together again. She wasn't hopeful of it, she was positive.

Edited - 20/04/2023