four

{ chapter four  ~  Trumpkin }

If Mila was sitting on her throne, she would've been at the edge of it. The fight was intense, obviously not as intense if it was her who wielded the blade, but it was still fun to watch. "Edmund!" Mila and Lucy shouted as the boy got caught on the nose. "Oh, are you alright?" Mila furrowed her brow, she wasn't used to Edmund being taunted, he usually did that. The young King quickly recovered as he pushed the small person with the edge of his blade. Of course, the dwarf pulled back faster, the sharp blade of the High King was being swung left and right. After a few powerful swings from Edmund, Peter's sword was discarded on the sand. "Beards and Bedstains. Maybe that horn worked after all." The Dwarf said from the floor. "What horn?" Susan questioned. "Your horn I'm guessing," Mila replied as she helped the dwarf up. "Queen Mila." She told him, and he bowed in response as he stated his name. "Trumpkin."

Mila sat silently, her head resting on Edmund's shoulder as she stared at Peter as he rowed the small boat. "Narnia seems boring." She mumbled into the silence. "Don't you think?" Lucy agreed. "They're so still." The youngest said, her eyes looking at the surrounding area. "They're trees, what do you expect?" Trumpkin stated, confusion lacing his voice. "They used to dance." She replied. Mila smiled ever so slightly, "And their breeze would sing melodies like no other." The young Queen coughed, "When did the Temarines come to Narnia?" She questioned, her hand draping along the side of the boat as it cascaded through the delicate blue waters beneath them. "Not long after you lot left. Those that survived retreated to the wood and the trees they retreated so far into themselves they haven't been heard from since." Mila's small smile turned into a frown, "I don't understand, how could Aslan let this happen." Lucy mumbled, "Aslan? I thought he abandoned us when you lot did." Mila sighed, "We didn't mean to leave, you know. And if we could've returned home sooner I'm sure we would have." Trumpkin shook his head, "Makes no different now, does it?" The eldest began rowing faster, "Get us to the Narnians, and it will."

Everyone stayed silent for the remainder of their journey ashore. Mila often let her eyes wander to the unknown of the new Narnia. She once knew every corner, every burrow, every inch of the wonderful Kingdom but now she was lost. If she wasn't in front of everyone she probably would have broken down. Her home, a place she had longed to be held within was destroyed. The memories she had created there were gone but the young Queen kept her head high. She didn't want to show weakness to anyone. After all, she didn't know who she could trust in this new Narnia.

Once the boat was ashore, Mila began exploring alongside Lucy. The two girls walked hand in hand as they attempted to point out which way certain places would be, should be, unless they had been destroyed also. The two girls smiled, at the sight of a bear. A friend. "Hello there," Lucy called to the bear who was minding his own business. The three Pevensies who remained to man the boat glanced over, beaming smiles on their faces. The bear seemed a little nervous at the sudden interaction as he stood on his hind legs. "It's alright," Mila called, maybe her sword was frightening the beautiful animal. So she quickly unbuckled the leather belt and placed her weapon on the floor. "We're friends," Lucy told him. The two girls continued to approach the bear. "Stand still, Your Majesties!" Trumpkin called over the worrisome growls of the bear. The two Queens turned at Trumpkin's shouts, just as the bear began to charge at them. "Susan do something!" Edmund and Peter shouted at the sister who fumbled with her bow in a panic. Mila grasped Lucy by the hand as the two rushed forwards, back to the safety of Peter and the others. The elder girl subconsciously made sure Lucy was in front at all times, ensuring the girl was safe before she was, just like she had always done. With pure adrenaline pumping through both girls' veins, they rushed quicker than they probably would have ever done. But sandy and stony beaches are difficult to run on. When Lucy plummeted to the floor, as did Mila. The elder Queen threw her arm over the younger girl, in hopes of protecting her. Mila's sword was out of reach my simple metres. The screams of the girls would have been heard from miles if it weren't for the roaring waves of the flowing river. An arrow struck the bear causing its almost lifeless body to hit the ground, but the arrow wasn't Susan's.

The siblings rushed toward the two girls. "You're alright!" Peter told Lucy as he grabbed his sister, then his wife. "How could you have been so stupid!" He raised his voice slightly which took the whole group aback. "Why did you discard your sword? You could have been killed." Mila took herself out of his grip as she watched Trumpkin grab her sword and hand it back to her. "The poor animal seemed scared! Of course, he would have been, a sharp weapon approaching him!" She replied before turning from the boy, she couldn't deal with him right now. "He was wild," Edmund mumbled as he attempted to comfort his best friend, something he always did after she argued with his brother. "Get treat like a dumb animal long enough, you become one," Trumpkin mumbled as he finished the bear off.

edited - 20/04/2023