seven

{ chapter seven ~ we will have spring again }

"Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy quickly said. "I'm not that fast dear!" Mr. Beaver told her. Mila stared at the melting river. "Come on!" Peter told the girls and the beavers before making his way down to the river banks. "Wait! Will you just think about this for a minute!" Susan protested. "We don't have a minute," Mila replied as she continued to make her way down to the river. Peter agreed. "I was just trying to be realistic." Susan quietened down. "No, you're trying to be smart! As usual!" Peter told his sister before joining Mila. The Princess paused at the howls from the wolves. "We need to cross before they get here!" She told them before coming to a halt at the breaking ice.

"It's now or never." Princess Mila whispered as her eyes lay on the specific spot her blue and green picnic blanket used to lie. She gasped slightly as she and Peter stepped on one spot of the seemingly frozen river. Their weight caused the ice beneath them to crack. "Wait. Maybe I should go first." Beaver offered before making his way across the ice. "You've been sneaking second helpings haven't you!" Mrs. Beaver said as the ice cracked beneath Beaver's feet. "Well, you never know when your last meal is going to be." He chuckled to himself.

Peter took the first step onto the ice and everyone else followed. Mila remained at the back with Susan. Both of the girls paused to grab each other as they slipped on the cracked ice. One time, Susan gasped as she felt how cold Mila's bare arm was. "If mum knew what we were doing!" Susan called from the back. "Mum's not here!" Peter moaned as he and Lucy continued to almost float across the ice. Mila looked up at the sound of barking. "Oh no!" Lucy shouted as soon as she spotted them. "Faster!" Mila told the group. "We can lose them in the woods in the other side!" But the wolves had already begun surrounding them from all angles.

As the wolves surrounded them, the ice from beneath them broke also. "Peter?" Susan and Lucy yelled, wanting their brother to do something. From the front, Peter held out his sword. Mila did the same at the back. "Put that down boy!" Mila heard. "Someone could get hurt!" Mila let out a laugh. "If anyone gets hurt it'll be you, Maurgrim!" The wolf growled at the Princess. "You give the Princess a sword and she thinks she's a warrior." He snarled. Maurgrim then turned to Peter. "Leave now while you can. And your brother leaves with you." Mila shook her head at the boy, she knew all about the tricks the White Witch has. "Stop! Maybe we should listen to him!" A chuckle came from the wolf as he prowled closer. "Smart girl." Mila took a few steps forward so she came off as more threatening but that didn't seem to work. "Oh come on, this isn't your war. All my Queen wants is for you to take your family and go!" Mila snarled slightly. "Look! Just because some man in a red suit hands you a sword it doesn't make you a hero!" Susan shouted into her brother's ear. "Just drop it!" Peter went to lower his sword when Mila took a finger and raised it. "The warrior is within you! Not the sword!" She whispered. "Narnia needs ya!" Beaver shouted as he was held to the ground by the bearing teeth of one of Maugrim's wolves. "What is it going to be Son of Adam? I can't wait forever." Maurgrim grinned. "And we all know the little Princess doesn't have it in her!" He jumped at her slightly with his teeth unclenched. Mila stumbled back at the sudden movement, causing her to fall to the floor. "Peter!" Mila and Lucy shouted as the ice from the waterfall began to weaken. "Hold on to me!" He told the three girls as he drove his sword into the ice causing it to crack. Mila got to her knees and did the same.

The three girls all let out a scream as the water from the waterfall flung the ice they clutched too forward. Mila held onto her sword, out of fear of losing it, and her life. She was more concerned about losing her father's sword, however. She gasped as she came up from the cold water. She gripped onto Susan's coat and her sword as they now descended down the flowing river. The rocky waves that hit the ice often came as a challenge as they always almost pushed each of the children off. "Are you okay?" The voices of Mr. and Mrs. Beaver came from the water as they steered their ice raft. "Does it look it?" Mila screamed back as the current pulled onto her leg.

She let out a cough as she rolled herself onto the still-icy river bank. She then turned to Peter, the smile on her face wiping instantly as she noticed Peter holding nothing but his little sister's coat. "Lucy!" Jumped up shouting. "Lucy!" Mila's eyes turned back to the ferocious river, she knew even if Lucy was in the water, there was no way she would have survived the cold or the current. "Has anyone seen my coat?" The voice of little Lucy Pevensie made her heart stop. Mila couldn't help herself, she literally flung her arms around the little girl. "Don't you worry dear. Your brother has you well looked after!" Beaver told her. Peter attempt to ring out Lucy's coat, it was still wet, but at least it would shelter her from the wind. "I don't think you'll be needing those coats anymore." Mila turned to notice the small yellow flowers she used to love as a child.

A smile grew on her face as she darted towards the small patch. "It can't be!" She told the beavers. "They don't bloom in the winter!" Mrs. Beaver placed a hand on the Princess's shoulder. "It's not winter anymore dear." And that was when Mila noticed it, the blazing sun that left a warm cast on her face. "We have spring again." She smiled before approaching the Pevensies.

Edited - 19/04/2023