eighteen

{ chapter eighteen  ~  the undead Queen }

{ chapter eighteen ~ the undead Queen }

Holding Edmund by the leg, Peter Pevensie shouted at him to get up. He had been doing this for the past five minutes. Edmund had never been a morning person. "Honestly Ed." Mila chuckled as she approached the two Pevensie boys. She stared at Edmund as he clutched the hammock, not mentally or physically prepared to get up at such an early hour.

Peter kissed his wife's head, "Good Morning?" He greeted, yet it came off as more of a question. "Good morning." She replied, ignoring his questionable statement. "Have you been up long?" He asked, his hand still tightly around Edmund's foot as the younger King clung to his sleep. "A few hours maybe?" She honestly told him, "Don't worry, Caspian couldn't sleep either, he kept me company." Peter smiled, happy she wasn't up alone, even if Caspian and he had gotten off on the wrong foot. "He's nothing like Miraz, Peter. I believe you two would get along if only you tried." She simply told him before flipping Edmund's hammock. She hummed in contentment as he fell to the stone floor. "Come on sleepy head." Mila said to him as she pulled him up, "You should probably prepare Peter." She smiled, kissing his forehead. Peter said his 'goodbyes' as he left to prepare. Mila left also, Edmund being dragged behind as he groaned about how sleep was important. She couldn't help but chuckle. "I'm not a morning person Mila, it's not funny." The older girl grinned, "I'll let you take an hours nap if you agree that I'm the best swordsperson Narnia has ever seen." Edmund shook his head, "Oh look, suddenly I'm wide awake." He told her before sprinting off to find some food.

A shaky sigh escaped the young Queen's mouth as she sat on a small ledge that hung over the entrance to the ruins. Millions of thoughts ran through her mind as she awaited for signs of the Telmarines arriving. There was nothing. Not even the trees moved slightly to announce the Telmarine troops' arrival. Mila hectically fiddled with her wedding ring, the friction was so firm and warm that her skin underneath began discolouring. She shook slightly before muttering to herself, "Pull yourself together. You're a Queen. You shouldn't be afraid." Yet she was afraid, Mila Pevensie was terrified. Miraz didn't know she wasn't dead. He probably would enjoy brutally killing the one she loved in a 'fair' duel. In front of her eyes as he witnessed her world come crashing down. Now that's what she would get for going up against him...

Mila jumped at the sight of vast numbers quickly approaching. She stood up from her bubble of thought as she rushed down to announce the Telmarines' Arrival. "They're here." She spoke, her voice belittling the strong-looking Queen. "Everything will be alright Mi." Peter comforted her, recognising the fear in her voice. "Stay with Ed, and don't get in the way. Miraz won't touch you, he'll fear starting a larger war." Peter told her, he kissed her head gently before walking forwards. "That's what I'm worried about." She whispered. Edmund glanced at her, he knew exactly what her thoughts were. Miraz was hungry for a larger battle than a one-on-one. He would wipe out the Narnians at every chance he could take. Edmund held out his hand for his best friend to take. "Peter will be alright, Mila. He's been training." Edmund reassured her. Mila let out a shaky sigh before smirking, her face becoming braver than the weak and terrified Queen she was only moments earlier. "We'll just have to have hope." She told him before the two rushed to join Peter.

The vast Telmarine Army wasn't intimidating at all, she thought as she approached Miraz. Glentstorm nodded at the three, armour wearing royals as they peacefully approached their enemy. Miraz's face seemed to change at the sight of the undead Queen who was situated between the two Kings. However, he stayed silent.

Cheers erupted from the Narnians as Peter withdrew his sword. Mila wasn't looking at the Telmarines, yet she could still feel their confusion and hatred gaze upon her petite figure as she whispered potential fighting strategies she had picked up over the years. The silence was deadly as both swordsmen stared at one another. It was as if they were attacking in slow motion, hesitant to begin. "There is still time to surrender," Miraz spoke, taunting Peter as the two glared at each other. "Well, feel free." Peter shot back, without hesitation. "How many more must die for the throne?" Miraz asked. "Just one," Peter replied simply as he pulled his helmet down over his face. And finally, their duel began...

Mila watched in awe as she watched her husband duel, he had definitely matured as a swordsman, and he was better. A lot better. She flinched at every blow that was given to the boy, almost as if she could feel each time the sword chipped at his skin. The duel was becoming brutal quickly. Neither man wanted to back down so easily. The bystanders watched in awe, each side rooting for their King. "Told you he'd be alright," Edmund told his friend who grasped his hand every time Miraz's sword flung towards Peter. "There's still time for it to go horribly wrong," Mila replied, of course, she didn't want that to happen, but there was always time. Just as she spoke her words, Peter's face was bashed. His helmet crashed to the floor in the process. Mila gripped Edmund's hand so tight that he had begun to feel pain, however, he wouldn't tell her this. She seemed to relax slightly at every squeeze.

High King Peter the Magnificent still stood strong, his discarded helmet as the least of his worries, his mind was set on one thing. Fighting for his kingdom. Mila's eyes frantically followed her husband as Miraz took the upper hand, she watched as he was thrown to the floor. Miraz's heavy foot flung towards his arm. Peter cried out in agony and pain. "Peter!" Mila cried out. And if it wasn't for Edmund's grip around her hand, she would've rushed straight over to him. She held her breath as she watched the battle once again become more brutal. She didn't release any air until a horse was heard. The riders were Caspian and Susan. If this had happened at any other moment, Mila would have squealed at the sight of the two together, however, due to the circumstances, she could not. "Does his Highness need a respite?" Miraz taunted. "Five minutes?" Peter muttered back. "Three!"

Mila could see the sheer agony on his face. "Come here." She ushered, grasping his unharmed arm. She hadn't given him time to compose himself before she instantly began searching his body for any injuries that needed attention immediately. "Lucy?" Peter asked concerned for his youngest sister. "She got through," Susan replied, which caused the married couple to let out the worried breath they were holding. "With a little help." She said her eyes following Caspian. "Thanks." Peter sighed, still in pain. "Well, you were busy." Caspian honestly said. "You better get up there, just Incase," Peter said to Susan. "I don't expect the Telmarines to keep their word," Mila said, casting a side glance to Miraz who was speaking into the ear of his advisor. "I think it's broken," Mila said as she pointed to Peter's arm. "More like dislocated," Edmund mumbled as he stared at Peter's odd-looking arm. "Be careful," Susan whispered as she began making her way to the archers. "Keep smiling," Edmund mumbled, which caused the Royals to instantly beam from ear to ear. The Narnians cheered at the sight of their leaders...

"What do you think happens back home if you die here?" Peter said to his brother. Mila saw the look in Edmund's eye. She knew it would be better to relocate the arm unexpectedly. The Hopeful Queen took his hand, she kissed it lightly which calmed the young King. "You know you've always been there, and I never really..." a groan cut him off as Edmund relocated his arm. "Save it for later," Edmund said, not really one for sympathetics. And he didn't want to hear Peter's death speech. Peter kissed Mila as he stood, and the young Queen handed him his sword. "Be careful." She told him. "I love you, you are my everything. My destiny." He whispered as he stood, Mila shed a tear. "I love you too Peter, but this isn't goodbye. Your stronger than Miraz."

Or so she hoped...

Edited - 20/04/2023