thirteen

{ chapter thirteen ~ reunited at last }

As the sun slowly rose over the grassy hill of the camp, Princess Mila opened her eyes. She let out a small yawn before allowing her eyes to dart quickly to the makeshift bed. She let go of her breath as her deep eyes settled on the still-sleeping boy. She allowed him to sleep a few moments longer. Simply admiring how peaceful he looked, she wanted him to feel at peace. And finally, he was. Mila simply took a strand of her brown hair behind her ear before lightly shaking the boy awake. "Edmund." She whispered, a caring tone taking over her groggy morning voice completely. "Ed." She spoke. Her smile brightened as he opened his eyes. He too wore a smile. "I told you, you'd wake up safe and sound." He nodded. "Thank you, Mila." He told her as he sat up. "But what do I do now?" She paused for a moment, "I'm guessing Aslan would like to speak with you." She told him. "Don't worry, he's not as scary as he looks." She grinned at the look of horror on the boy's face. "I'll be nearby. Come find me if you want to chat." She gave him a smile before leaving him to his thoughts.

Mila wandered the beautiful greenery of the camp, her eyes occasionally wandering to make sure Edmund was alright as he stood tall above the camp alongside Aslan. A smile formed on her lips as she saw him point to Cair Paravel, her home, and hopefully the Pevensies' home.

The Princess quickened her pace at the sight of a familiar Centaur. "Orious!" She called, her little legs taking her as fast as they possibly could. "Do you fancy a little bit of training today? Maybe we could invite Peter and Edmund? Especially since we all need training a little more." Orious smiled as he looked down at the girl. "Edmund will need rest today, my Princess, my friend, but we can train later on today?" Mila nodded, "How about after Lunch, then we can train through till dinner?" The large centaur shook his head, his hair blowing softly in the wind. "We won't need that long, you're already exceptional with a sword. Besides, you should have some fun. You missed your childhood." Mila looked up at the centaur who held his hand on her shoulder. "Why don't you spend some time with Peter? A little birdie told me you two are getting along nicely." Princess Mila couldn't stop the deep rouge that flooded her cheeks. "Okay, so training after lunch." She spoke too fast, and her words were almost unrecognisable. "See you then." She called as she rushed off, far away from Orious and the teasing, childlike army.

"Edmund!" The voice of Lucy Pevensie grabbed Mila's attention. A bright smile grew on the older girl's face as the saw the three siblings' faces light up at the sight of their brother. Mila simply observed the sight, it was a truly beautiful moment. She watched as Peter glanced towards the army that slouched around in the distance. He nodded as if to thank them silently. Mila watched as Edmund walked down the bank towards his family, the three stayed put, not really knowing if they could rush up and hug him like there was no tomorrow. He stopped slightly beside Mila, a look of fear on his face. She returned his worried looks with a smile of warmth and comfort, but the fear on the boy's face didn't budge. "Don't worry Ed." She whispered. "Like I said last night, they've missed you dearly." He motioned her head towards the three siblings who awkwardly stood. "But Peter." He whispered back. "Has been worried sick about you since you left the Dam. He was going to run into Jadis' castle and endanger himself, just to save you. Now go on." She now stood by his side. A hand of comfort was on his back as she lightly pushed him forward.

Peter observed the situation. Mila hadn't known Edmund for very long before he had run off. He smiled as he watched the girl speak to her brother, he saw his face go from one of fear to a slightly more comfortable look. He could see her smile, it was a nice kind of smile, a comforting one, one he would probably give to Susan or Lucy if they needed support. "Edmund!" Lucy called again, which grasped the attention of the oldest. He watched as his younger sister wrapped her arms eagerly around Edmund. At that moment, his thoughts of anything else were pushed to the side, and once Susan had finished hugging her brother and checking over his cuts and bruises, Peter flung his arms around the smaller boy. As he did, his eyes caught Mila's, who smiled so brightly, his stomach felt like it would erupt at any moment. He mouthed a quick 'thank you' to the girl before hugging his younger brother harder, he wasn't going to be let out of his sight.

Edited - 19/04/2023