three

{ chapter three  ~  'I've dreamt of this moment }

Mila impatiently tapped her perfectly painted fingernails against the mahogany dining table that sat off centre in the living room of the Pevensies' house. She and her siblings-in-law had returned back to Finchley only a day prior to the rest of the Pevensies who would be returning from America that night. Mila groaned, the wait was antagonising, she had already waited for years in Narnia, so waiting in Oxford for weeks shouldn't have been a problem but it really was. "Mum just called," Edmund said as he joined his friend at the table. "They're getting a taxi, they shouldn't be too long." Mila smiled before frowning. "What if Peter's found someone in America? What if he hates me because I chose to stay in Narnia? What if.." Edmund grasped her hand, causing the girl to stop rambling. "Peter loves you." He simply said. "He wouldn't stop going on about you to all the soldier boys he met in America. My dad's excited to meet you too." Edmund watched as the girl sighed in relief. "You told him I was here?" She watched as the boy scrunched his face and shook his head. Edmund knew his father would enjoy meeting the girl regardless of whether he knew she was patiently waiting in their dining room or not. "He told me it slipped his mind," Lucy called, She had been washing and putting away dishes. Much more than what Edmund had been doing, if anything he was making more of a mess.

Mila grew nervous when the front door was hauled open and Edmund and Lucy had been embraced by their father. She had remained in the dining room, she didn't want to intrude on the family reunion. "Hey, Pete," Edmund said. "There's a present on the dining table for you." He bluntly told him. Mila could hear Susan's questions about where her present was, but Lucy quickly told her to shut up.

Peter came to a halt at the sight of the nervously sitting figure on his dining table. The room was silent, all but the sound of fingernails breaking as Mila nervously chewed them. "Hello, love." He muttered, his voice sort of strained from not greeting someone in such a tone for a long while. Mila's breath caught in her throat as she stood from the table. "Hello." Mila smiled, a few crystallised tears falling onto her cheeks. She took a step forward, her feet thinking for her; however, she halted when Peter took the slightest step back. "You are mad at me," Mila mumbled. "Your mad that I stayed in Narnia." Peter shook his head, very quickly. "I'm not mad." He spoke quietly. "I've just dreamt of this moment so many times, I don't want to wake up again and be disappointed." He spoke, his voice cracking here and there as he held back his tears. "You're not dreaming Peter, I'm really here. Aslan granted my wish to come home." She smiled. "You're my home, Peter. You are my destiny and my home." Peter smiled, his ocean-like eyes lighting up the dark room as the sun sunk beneath the rain clouds. "You gave up Narnia for me?" Peter hesitantly said. The distance between the two was still there, however as the two spoke, Peter grew less distant and began to realise he wasn't dreaming. "Narnia really isn't home without you." She shrugged. "Besides, it didn't really begin to feel like it until after I met you."

Peter smiled before taking a step close, "God I've missed you Mila Pevensie." He grinned. "Not as much as I've missed you." Before Mila could even process his movements, Peter had walked closer. "Usually when I try to take you in my arms you disappear and I wake up." Mila smiled, her eyes focussing on every inch of Peter's face. "I promise that won't happen, this time." She told him, her hand reaching up to wipe the tears from his cheeks. Peter gasped at the touch, unable to believe he was actually feeling the caring touch of his wife. He lightly grasped her wrist before taking her by the waist and pulling her to him. The moment they shared was almost identical to the first kiss they had, the one with the fireflies in the forest. Of course, there were no fireworks, as this isn't a fairytale. But there was a spark because they were destined. "I love you, Peter," Mila told him as he held her in his arms. "I love you too, darling."

Susan almost collapsed at the sight of Mila Jones as she entered the hallway. "Well, I never!" She shouted before snatching her friend away from Peter. "I've missed our chats Mi. We have to have tea at the Café in town! It is a must!" Mila nodded, excited to catch up with the whole family. Mila greeted Helen Pevensie, in truth, Mila had missed her, she had always shown kindness and care to the girl she barely knew anything about. "You must be Peter's Mila." A male voice spoke from the back of the hallway. "Mark Pevensie." He greeted as he shook the girl's hand. "I don't believe Peter would've spoken about me much." Mila shook her head, "No, Sir. Peter and Edmund and the girls always talked about you. I've heard such lovely things about you and the whole family. In fact, you were always the main topic over Sunday's lunch." Mark chuckled, "I bet that was a boring conversation, Mila." She shook her head, as she took Peter's hand. "No Sir, quite fascinating really. You remind me a lot of my father."

Mila had never felt more at home, she was finally at her happiest. Reunited with the love of her life and his family, her family.

Edited - 21/04/2023