fifteen

{ chapter fifteen  ~  a funeral for two Kings and a Queen }

{ chapter fifteen ~ a funeral for two Kings and a Queen }

A shaky sigh escaped Queen Mila's slightly tinted lips as she placed a bouquet of yellow flowers upon each of the three coffins that concealed her loved ones. Stray tears cascaded their way down her rosy cheeks only to be frozen in place by the harsh laughter of death that hid within the blowing force of the wind. Time had seemed to stop that morning, she still couldn't wrap her head around it, and even when she was slowly beginning to come to terms with the death of her husband; the occasional questioning of when daddy would return home broke her all over again. "And that's how it all began." Mila loudly spoke to the audience, her voice croaking from the back of her throat as she attempted to prevent any more tears from falling. "That's how a normal Finchley family met a slowly disintegrating Princess, and how they all grew to reign over the magical land of Narnia." She paused for a moment, a shaky breath leaving her lips once again, "That's what we told the kids anyway." she said, as she allowed a small chuckle to escape her lips alongside the rest of the crowd.

"Now, our time together may have been cut, extremely, short;  the happiness we shared together, will last a lifetime. I will forever mourn the loss of my husband, my best friend, my soulmate, my destiny, my everything. But, I will find comfort in the knowledge that he loves me and our children to no end. Peter, if you are listening, I want you to know that I will be living one life, for the two of us. I want you to know that you shall watch our babies grow, you will always be beside us, through me. We love and miss you always and forever." The young woman hastily wiped away the tears from her cheeks.

"And dear Eddie and Lu. Words cannot describe how quiet my world has been without the everyday laughter and fighting of you two. And although the arguments between you two were usually a pain in my arse, I do so miss them. Look after yourselves up there. And no more fighting!" She chuckled, almost as if she was scolding the two like she usually would back in Narnia after they had a small pitiful fight. "We'll see each other again, I can feel it."

A few others had given their speeches that evening, each one bringing hope to the young woman as she fondly remembered memories. "Someone once told me, within a dream of a dream, that I would meet Peter again." She spoke up at the end of the ceremony. She was referring to Aslan in the train station on the day of the disaster. The wind blew circles around her as it carelessly ran its fingers through her slightly curled hair. "That we were destined to do so. And I will forever cherish that dream until my time comes." Mila smiled, her small hands taking one of her children's in each. "After all, death only parts two lovers momentarily. They always meet again, especially when those two lovers are destined."

And she was right, the Pevensies would most definitely meet again.
Destiny would see to it...

Edited - 21/04/2023