five

{ chapter five  ~  special day }

Peter Pevensie has risen well before the sun, in fact, he had barely slept. Excitement took over his head as he leaped from Mila's side. He analysed her for a small moment, watching as her chest moved in rhythm to her soft snores. He smiled, as once again he was able to lie right beside the love of his life.

Peter quietly and quickly pulled open the chest of drawers that sat beside his side of the bed, he grasped a notebook and pen, and scribbled a few words before sneakily rushing out of the room.

Mila woke up alone that morning. She sighed before sprawling across the bed; she shivered at the sudden coldness that Peter had left behind. Groaning, she pulled herself up, her eyes sticking together as sleep attempted to pull her back into the darkness. "Peter?" She called, however, her voice simply echoed around the house. Usually, when she woke up alone, he was briskly making breakfast or cleaning the mess they had probably made the day prior. However silence answered her back, it was unusual for Peter not to be home during the morning. He worked the afternoons with his father, so the house being silent at this hour was strange to Mila.

With the silence bringing her nothing, she flung the cover from her body and climbed out of bed. She shining sun from the window brought warmth to her pale body as she gracefully walked towards the dressing table that sat in the corner of the room. Her painted fingernail traced the desk before stopping at a small note...

Meet me at Narnia...

It simply said, in Peter's scribbly but legible writing. Mila grinned before hurriedly getting dressed. Moments later she rushed out of the door and called for a taxi.

Now, the Narnia Peter mentioned in his note wasn't the real Narnia, for they hadn't been there in a long while. However, another Narnia held a special place in their heart. A small park by the riverside, hidden away reminded Mila of Narnia as soon as she stumbled upon it accidentally. She and Peter had gotten lost after a walk one evening. Since then, it had been their little Narnia. Their small little secret.

The lush green grass swayed slowly in the wind, the trees moved gracefully - almost as if they were dancing. The sky was a gorgeous blue and the beaming sun complimented it beautifully on that early spring day. Peter Pevensie sat upon a blue and red tartan rug, many scrumptious desserts and mouth-watering savouries littered the blanket. Peter wore a simple but slightly formal outfit, a bouquet of yellow, blue, and pink flowers where clutched in his hand. He waited patiently, a smile on his face.

Mila hurriedly made her way through the woods. Streaks of light hit her face through the green canopies of the trees. Her hair flowed behind her, almost as if Mother Nature was ensuring she was perfect before joining her destiny. Her summer dress framed her figure as she rushed through the woods, the trailed pattern of roses on her dress flew behind her. A smile was imprinted on her face. This wasn't the first time she had run through the woods to find Peter's location, in fact, it happened all the time during their time in Narnia.

"Hello, my love," Mila shouted as she first laid eyes on Peter through the trees. "Finally, beautiful." Peter grinned, "I've been waiting for you for ages, my love." She chuckled as he kissed her cheek and handed her the flowers. "You did all of this for me?" She questioned, her honey eyes finally laying sight on the beautiful picnic setting behind her. "Only the best for my Queen." She chuckled. Before Mila could even process, Peter had picked her up bridal style and carried her towards the picnic blanket. "Oh, Happy Birthday by the way." Mila smiled at his form before lightly kissing him, "Thank you."

Mila and Peter laid on their back, hand in hand as the two watched the world go by, after all, they had all the time in the world. "That cloud looks like Aslan." Peter muttered, "See." He said, pointing to one of the many clouds. Mila followed his finger, "It does." She agreed. "It just shows that he's always looking out for us." Mila mumbled, "Even in this world..."

Peter grinned at her, his simple yet effective smile always seemed to light up her life. "Why are you looking at me like that?" She giggled, her hands roaming up to clutch his face. "How did someone like me get someone to have you?" He simply said, his eyes not leaving hers. "Destiny, Peter Pevensie. Destiny brought us together." Peter lightly kissed her head before rolling back down beside her. "I love you Mi." He whispered, his eyes now fully focused on the slowly sinking sun. "I love you more." She told him.

The two lay in silence for a while, their eyes focusing on the colour-changing sky. Their day spent together had been truly magical, perfect even. Peter took his eyes from the sky for the first time in a while, instead, he watched the reflection in Mila's eyes. Her dark eyes always played the perfect canvas for any beautiful moment. And that's how Peter wanted to remember that sunset, he wanted to remember it from the display of the love of his life's eyes.

Mila turned to him, a simple smile on her face. "Thank you." She whispered, into the now dim, field in which they had lain in all day. "For everything." She told him. "I don't know what I would've done if you hadn't helped me from that wardrobe all those years ago." Peter chuckled, "You could say you literally fell for me, huh." Mila let out a laugh as she rolled her eyes. She turned back to the darkening sky before hauling herself up. "Coming Peter? Or are you just going to sit and stare at me?" The, now young man, jumped up. His eyes still focussed on the girl, he would soon call his wife... again. "No, but I'll stand and stare at you." Mila chuckled, her hand lightly slapping his shoulder. "Let's go home."

Edited - 21/04/2023