seventeen

{ chapter seventeen  ~  sleepless and worrisome nights }

{ chapter seventeen ~ sleepless and worrisome nights }

Mila tossed and turned in the hammock that hung between both Peter and Edmund. The clocks turned in the back of her mind, constantly thinking of how bad the one on one battle might go. How Peter might not make it. How Miraz could play dirty and harm the love of her life. How she could lose everything in an instant. She finally lay still, looking at the ceiling, the soft snores of Peter comforting her nerves as she lay there. Now she understood why Peter was so overprotective, why he constantly told her not to do something, and to stay beside him. She couldn't lose him.

With one sigh, Mila flung her legs over the hammock and allowed the cold night air to conceal her body. She shivered slightly before wrapping her arms around herself in a hugging motion, attempting to keep any warmth in her body.

Walking around the cave that concealed the stone table to ease her late night thoughts wasn't the same as her midnight walks around Cair Paravel. The air was cold, instead of warm. It was dark and dim but still nerve settling like the warm and candle lit hallways of her home. However, her wonder around the cold cave still calmed her nerves, the sight of the concealed camp made her think of anything but her worries about Peter.

Mila stood at the wall that had beautiful paintings of her life in Cair Paravel. She smiled at the fond memories that came back to her instantly as she traced the engravings and paintings with her finger. Memories of meeting the Pevensies, her wedding, random memories from Cair Paravel. She had lived the perfect life. She really had.

She traced her finger across the wall again, the harsh brick scratching at her skin, but she didn't mind, because each touch took her back to another memory that seemed so far ways. "Can't sleep either?" A voice came from behind causing her to jump, slightly. "Gosh Caspian, you startled me," Mila said as she turned to the younger royal. "I didn't believe anyone would be awake at such an hour." She told him, noticing his gaze on the painting of her fond memory. A memory of her and Susan. "Neither did I," Caspian responded. "Was it just as beautiful as the history books say?" Caspian said, his finger tracing an engraving of Cair Paravel. "Huh?" Mila muttered before shaking her head, "The old Narnia?" He nodded. "It was more than beautiful Caspian. Cair Paravel, Narnia as a whole, it was extraordinary, the history books wouldn't be able to justify that." Caspian smiled, the light in Mila's eyes told him how much she loved Narnia. "My father used to take me to the ruins of Cair Paravel every year for my birthday. The tales my professor told me of the Kings and Queens of Old always fascinated me, I wanted to rule just like them. Just like you and Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy." Mila turned to him, a beaming smile on her face. "You'd make a great King, Caspian. You'll do amazing." the Prince smiled at the young Queen. "If you don't mind me asking, why are you awake? You need your strength for tomorrow." Mila began fiddling with her ring and a sigh entered the cold air as all the bad thoughts and feelings rushed back into her mind.

Caspian noticed this, he knew the feeling of nerves flooding your mind as you tried to sleep.  "Walk with me?" Caspian said, his arm held out for the girl to grab. "You're nervous." He simply stated as the two walked towards the broken stone table. "How do you know that?" She replied, looking up at the boy that had been so nice to her, even though he knew little about her. "I overheard Peter talking about how he missed you fiddling with your wedding ring or his whenever you got nervous." A laugh escaped her mouth. "He does love the little things about me." Caspian nodded, agreeing with the girl. He had read Narnian fables, love stories, about the Magnificent King and Hopeful Queen's relationship.

"So, what nerves are keeping you awake on this beautiful night?" Caspian asked as he sat down on the broken table. "The fight between Peter and Miraz." Mila sighed as she sat beside him. "Peter constantly spoke about how he couldn't lose me and we would argue about how he was overprotective and how I could look after myself. And now I understand why he hated me rushing into battle." Caspian glanced at the girl, it must be hard, having found your soulmate at such a young age and never wanting to lose them. It would be a constant burden in the back of your mind for eternity. "If you're so worried you can't sleep why don't you talk about it with Peter? Maybe Edmund could fight in his place. The history books say he was the best swordsman." Mila shook her head, "Miraz is sneaky and brutal. Even if Edmund fought in Peter's place I don't think he'd make it out of the fight with Miraz. They'll have a trick up their sleeve, forgive me for saying this but, Telmarines are dirty fighters." Caspian chuckled, "You're not wrong." Mila looked at the boy, "I'm just worried I'd lose him. And it's a battle to the death, Peter has never watched someone die, he's killed before but that's what happens in battle. I think he'd hesitate, and Miraz will strike him whilst he's off guard." Caspian placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, "He'll be fine, Mila. Peter's been preparing, he's a good swordsman." The Hopeful Queen nodded, "I guess I'll just have to have hope." She smiled, "Thank you Caspian." She said and gave him a friendly hug. "You're a good friend." He smiled, "I've never had a friend before." Mila turned, "Well now you do, four new friends and a whole Narnian family." Caspian's smile grew wider, "We should probably get some sleep before Peter wakes everyone up at sunrise." He told her as the two began to leave the stone table. "Too late." Mila chuckled at the sight of the sun slowly rising over the Shuddering Wood, a stunning sunrise to end a beautiful night. "Besides, I'm not sleepy anyways." Caspian agreed, "Want to practice some sword fighting? Even if we're not fighting today?" Mila asked, getting a grin from Caspian in return. "Am I getting challenged by my Narnian's best swordswoman?" Mila nodded and raised her eyebrows in a challenging matter. "I thought you'd never ask." Caspian chuckled as he grasped a sword and Mila's own. The two practiced until noise came from the caves, the echoing complaints from Edmund to Peter about being woken up too early, loud and clear. Today was the day. And Mila was still nervous but she was hopeful...

Hopeful that Peter would win this duo fights.

Edited - 20/04/2023