ten

{ chapter ten ~ fireflies and firsts }

Hand in hand, Mila and Peter walked through the tall grass towards the dark forest and the gushing sound of the flowing river. The two teenagers made small talk about childhood as they walked further into the now, darkness. The noise of nature around them gave their nighttime walk a pleasant easiness, as did the light wind, which seemed to wrap around them like a warm blanket as they walked into the unknown. Although they walked into the unknown, they felt safe. After all, they had each other and both were somewhat skilled with a sword. 

Mila gasped lightly as she and Peter stumbled downhill into some bushes, the two teenagers chuckled before standing up, fireflies now surrounding the two. Mila noticed the reflection of the bug in Peter's stunning blue eyes almost instantly. She admired them, the subtle glow of the beautiful creature seemed to make his eyes much more mesmerising. He noticed the same for Mila. Her dark eyes seemed to be the perfect base for a reflection for any beautiful occasion. This night especially was amazing. The reflection of the gorgeous fireflies in Mila's dark brown eyes stunned Peter Pevensie, as he had said once before, her eyes reminded him of the night sky, and now that night sky was filled with stars. "Beautiful," Mila murmured. "Yeah." Peter breathed, still staring at Mila.

The two teenagers, still hand in hand, simply admired the fireflies as they danced in the darkness. Peter occasionally glanced at Mila, her bright smile made his cheeks flush and his heart pounded harder and possibly louder. He would also nervously look away when Mila caught him looking. He would later hear her giggles as she squeezed his slightly sweaty hand tighter. "Peter." She whispered, her eyes not looking away from the sight before her. He hummed in response, only his eyes fell on the beautiful Princess. "Thank you." Peter smiled slightly, "For what?" The Princess smiled as she turned towards the boy, "For making me feel so special." The eldest Pevensie's cheeks flushed a deeper red. He also took his free hand and brushed the loose strands of hair from Mila's face. "Well... You are special Mila." He told her.

Peter hesitated slightly before he moved closer. He wanted to, he really wanted to, but he was worried about the friendship. He didn't want to lose Mila as a friend over something so silly. Clearly lost in his thoughts, he hadn't realised Mila had come forward the tiniest little bit. "Can I kiss you, Mila?" He whispered. He had been brought up right, consent was something he prided himself in. "Of course," Mila responded before the two lightly pressed their lips together.

Now in a fairytale, sparks would have 'flown' but of course, this isn't like a Narnian fable. But feelings did blossom between the two young teenagers. And within seconds, simple feelings turned into something slightly more powerful...

Edited - 19/04/2023