eight

{ chapter eight  ~ finally able to feel like a Queen }

{ chapter eight ~ finally able to feel like a Queen }

Mila stood hand in hand beside Peter as the large group looked upon an old, yet beautiful little hideaway. The group walked slowly towards it, many centaurs had begun to line up as they awaited their Kings and Queens arrival. Mila grinned as a tunnel of swords was made for them, a simple yet honourable technique. Purely for them, out of the excitement of the rightful Narnian ruler's return. Hand in hand with Peter, the Pevensies (including Mila) began their walk through the swords. Caspian and the army followed shortly after. Mila leaned closer to Peter, their hands intertwined. "I finally feel like a Queen again," Mila whispered, a proud smile on her face. "You've always been a Queen, Mila, in or outside of Narnia. You'll always be a Queen to me." The two blushed a deep red, like small school kids, as they began their walk of fame.

Mila looked around the dimly, lit cavern. "It may not be what you're used to, but it's defensible," Caspian told them. Mila smiled. "It's great." She sighed, "Much better than some dingy dorm in England." She whispered, partially because she didn't want Peter to hear and partially because she didn't want to explain what a "dorm" or what "England" was. Mila was simply just happy to be back; back in her home; the place she had longed to be back within. Narnia was perfect, it was a place where she could be herself and fit in. Of course, in Finchley, she had to pretend to be someone she was not. "Peter!" Susan called, "You should come to see this."

The married couple, and Edmund, followed the calls of Susan Pevensie. Prince Caspian also followed quickly. Mila let out a gasp of awe as she traced the cold, rocky wall with her painted fingernails. Pretty drawings of reds and browns coated the walls. "Oh wow," Mila whispered into the silent air as the family and Caspian admired the beautiful drawings on the walls. "It's us," Susan said, announcing the obvious. "It's our journey." She whispered, smiling at a clear drawing of one of the best days of her life. Her wedding day. Engraved above the painted King and Queen were the words that treasured them. "Our Destiny." Peter smiled, his arm wrapping around the waist of the girl as he too admired the painted memory. "I'd do anything to go back to that day." He whispered,  his words angelic. He lightly kissed her forehead, his eyes never leaving the painting as he played the memory of their vows in his head. "What is this place?" Lucy's voice broke the silence of admiration. "You don't know?" Caspian questioned, confused at how the family where unsure of such a legendary place. He grabbed a torch and walked deeper into the cave, the curious Pevensies following behind.

Hand in hand, Mila and Peter walked behind Caspian. Not too far behind, however, Peter was almost on his toes. The light of the three torches bounced off the damp stone walls as their footsteps echoed. "How much further Caspian?" Mila questioned, breaking the long silence. "A little further." He replied, a warm and pleasant smile forming on his lips.

And then she felt it. She felt hope. "I've been here before." She whispered, just as a carving of the Great Aslan and the stone table were illuminated. Mila watched as Lucy stepped towards the stone table that lay central. A shaky breath escaped her lips as she saw the cracked table, she had visited it long before with her father but the happy memories were masked with the story of Aslan's death and resurrection. "He knows what he's doing," Lucy told the group. Mila nodded. "I think it's up to us now," Peter announced, as he took his rightful leadership role. "So what are we going to do?" Mila spoke. Peter didn't make a sound, he simply turned on his heel and made his way back the way they came. "Do you think he has a plan?" Edmund asked his best friend and sister-in-law as they followed Peter. "I believe so. And if I'm honest, I don't think it's a very good one..."

edited - 20/04/2023