eight

{ chapter eight  ~  a less royal wedding }

Mila's eyes simply stared at the rising sun from Susan Pevensie's bedroom window. Her cold fingertips deprived the mug of coffee of its warmth. "Excited for today?" Lucy asked as she entered the large room. "Being married once is every girl's dream but twice!" Mila chuckled as she was greeted by the comforting arms of little Lucy Pevensie, however, she wasn't so little anymore. "Very excited Lu." She simply said as the hues of orange and pink gave her pale skin that healthy glow she had been waiting for. "I just miss Peter." She honestly said as she smiled.

Peter Pevensie hadn't seen his soon to be wife (again) in two weeks. He had been preoccupied with wedding plans. He wanted it to be special, so he told Mila to sit back and let him deal with it. However that worried her, Peter wasn't very good with planning. Yet, he had seemed to have done a very good job as she stood before the ceremony hall.

It was ever so similar to the grand hall they were married in at Narnia. Ever so similar. The white stands on either side were complemented elegantly with yellow and pink flowers. A beautifully decorated arch stood alone at the foot of the hall, and a simple but stunning carpet streamed down the isle before it. The stone walls of the church were almost identical to those of Cair Paravel, their pale and almost glistening colour just brought a comfort that no words could explain. But what forced Peter to get this venue was the skylight. It was perfect. The sun beamed in through the glass roof, just like it had done back in Narnia. The day would be perfect.

Mila fiddled with the ring that hung around her neck. Her first wedding ring. "You're nervous." Edmund chuckled as he strolled into the room. "Ed?" Mila questioned as she turned to see the boy eye to eye. The lace and silk of her dress spun with her, making the simple turn seem a lot more drastic and dramatic. "Your dad, is he downstairs?" Edmund nodded in return as he fiddled with the red lipsticks Susan had neatly placed moments ago. "yeah." He simply said, his eyes looking at her through the mirror. "Lucy go get him." He simply muttered to his younger sister as he approached Mila with one of the lipsticks. Mila chuckled, shaking her head as she attempted to back up, "Su will kill you if you mess up her  'masterpiece' as she called it." Edmund chose to ignore her statement as he began to lightly dab the girl's lips with the lipstick.

"Oh my." Mark Pevensie said as he entered the room. "Well, don't you look just lovely!" He smiled, tears swelling slightly in his eyes as he approached a girl he was proud to call his 'daughter'. "I wanted to ask you something." Mila smiled, as she took her father in law's hand. "Mark? Would you walk me down the aisle?" Mila smiled as the father of four smiled before breaking down into tears completely. "Of course my dear! Of course, I'll walk you down the aisle."

Mark Pevensie reminded Mila a lot of Mr. Tumnus, he was kind, he was caring and most importantly he took over a fatherly role when there was no one else to do so. So it seemed fitting since Mr. Tumnus had walked her the first time, Mark would do it the second.

The nerves before walking down the aisle were something Mila Jones didn't miss. The sweaty palms and frantic mind overtook her as she fiddled with the ring around her neck. "Are you ready?" Mark asked as he watched Mila, the smile he wore told her he was proud. Proud that his son had found someone deserving of all the love he could give. "I'm ready." She replied as she took his arm, the bouquet of yellow flowers held firmly in her hand as she followed Susan and Lucy down the aisle.

Mila gasped as she made her way down the path. The absolute beauty and simplicity of the church room felt so comforting and familiar to her. It was almost as if she had stepped right back into Narnia. Then her eyes finally fell onto Peter Pevensie himself, he was a vision. The dream man. But most importantly he was Mila's destiny and dream come true.

Mark Pevensie lightly kissed her cheek as she handed her to Peter. "Well, don't you look radiant, my Queen." Peter whispered into her ear as he kissed his wife.

Mila and Peter stood hand in hand through the Priest's speech, "The two have prepared their own vows, that they will now read." The vows prepared were vows from a time ago, ones recited under the scorching radiant southern sun. 

"Peter Pevensie, years ago you captured a lonely and frankly disappointing girl's heart, and you managed to turn me around and help me become the strong woman I am today. You captured my heart by being exactly who you are and I still remember the awkward, stuttering mess of a boy you were when we first met, even though you tell me to forget that. Peter Pevensie, you have stood by me through all of the good and bad, sad and happy times. You have been the reason I wake up every day with a smile on my face because I wake up to see you. You have believed in me, even when I had lost hope, and you encouraged me to fulfill not only one destiny but another as well. A destiny of love. Now, I'm not entirely sure a lifetime is enough for me to return everything you have given to me, but I promise that for the rest of my life, I will stand by your side, as an equal, but most importantly your wife. If you'll have me?"

Peter smiled through the tears as he wiped his fiancée's own. "Of course, I'll have you." He whispered to her as he took a breath.

"Mila, my love, you are a dream come true. You are my world, the joy, and hope in my heart, and the air that I continually need to breathe. Today I take you as my best friend, my equal, and most importantly my soulmate and true love. I promise you my deepest love and devotion, through not only the present but through the uncertainty of the future. I promise to remain forever by your side. I promise to laugh with you in the good times and comfort you in the bad. I promise that you will never have to face anything alone. I promise to cherish our union and to love you more and more each day than I did the day before. I promise to trust you, respect you and to protect you as your devoted husband. I give you my hand to hold and my life to keep. May we remember the day that we spent gazing at the stars, May we remember when I told you no one was perfect? And can we now mention how that was all a lie because you are perfect, my love. You truly are. Therefore I will make it my destiny to continuously tell you so. May we never forget how we felt when we first stared into each other's eyes and when we shared our first kiss. May this bond that we make today never be broken, and may it only blossom and continue to grow stronger as we do. May it become the strengths that bind us and our love until the end of eternity. I love you, Mila."

"Do you, Mila Jones take Peter Pevenisie to be your lawfully wedded husband?" Peter's glossed eyes never left Mila's own as he watched her pronounce the words "I do."
His glossed blue eyes remained staring into Mila's as she slid a golden band onto his finger. "Do you, Peter Pevensie take Mila Jones to be your lawfully wedded wife?" Mila's smile never faltered as Peter carefully slid her new wedding band atop her old, a few tears flooded down her naturally rosy cheeks. "I do," he spoke, a small and delicate chuckle escaping his mouth as he did so. The excitement of becoming bound to one another again overtook them. "Well then." The Priest said, "By the power invested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife. Peter, you may kiss your bride."

Every time they kissed, it felt like a million butterflies had erupted within them. Sparks had flown with every single kiss they had shared since their first one as they gazed at the firefly filled sky those many Narnian moons ago. Mila and Peter were married again, as they should be. After all, they are destined for forever and after.

Edited - 21/04/2023