fourteen

{ chapter fourteen ~ all hail the ice queen }

The smiles of the family of four seemed to disappear as Peter began talking. The young Princess quickened her pace at the sight of the depressed-looking faces of the siblings. Her slightly wavy hair blew behind her as she ran towards the four and their small picnic area. "They need us. All four of us." Lucy said in protest. Mila joined their side. "Lucy it's too dangerous. You almost drowned! Edmund was almost killed!" The Princess coughed slightly, making her presence known to Peter. She saw the crystal-like tears threatening to fall from his sapphire, blue eyes. "Which is why we have to stay," Edmund mumbled as he smiled at Mila. "Hey, look at me." She whispered to Peter. "I understand you want to protect your family, but Narnia needs you, it needs us." She smiled slightly, "I need you, Peter, I don't think I could handle you leaving Narnia and I don't want to think about that right now. Edmund and Lucy may have been in danger. And Susan may face it. But you can prevent that. You'll keep your promise to your mother. Be the protector, you want to be." She watched as he quickly wiped the few stray tears from his cheeks. "She's right. I've seen what the White Witch can do and I've helped her do it. We can't leave these people behind to suffer!" Mila raised an eyebrow at Edmund, a beaming smile on her face. She was proud of him. "You'll need training," Mila told the four. "I'm practicing with Orious later? Sword fighting. You're welcome to join." She told them. Susan shook her head. "I think I'll train with the archers." Mila nodded. She then looked at Lucy. Who had a look of uncertainty painted on her face. "Lu's not fighting." Peter quickly said. Mila nodded, "Of course not, but she'll need some simple self-defense." The small girl grinned. "I'm sure someone will teach you, just ask around. Everyone's friendly enough." Mila watched as Lucy and Susan jumped up. "Where are you going?" Peter asked them. "To get in some practice." And before the three knew it, the two Pevensie girls were on their way.

Peter turned to Mila. "Thank you for that." He whispered to her. "Thank you for everything." He spoke once more before lightly kissing her cheek. Mila, who now has pink cheeks to match her purple dress turned to Edmund. Who was grinning. "How are you, Ed?" She quickly stated, not wanting Edmund to speak about the situation. "Oh, I'm fine." He glanced toward his brother who was scratching the back of his neck. "But you're going to have to catch me up. So since when have you been all lovey dovey Pete?" Mila watched as the older brother grinned at the younger one. "Since the first day I came here." Mila blushed even more, which only caused Edmund to tease her. She shook her head. "Did someone say sword practice? Yeah? Okay, let's go!" She rushed her words before quickly running towards her tent.
Edmund grinned at his older brother, who simply playfully pushed him. "Oh shut up," Peter told him before he began walking to join Mila. "I'm happy for you!" Edmund called before rushing off to join the hopelessly in love duo.

"Good! You're getting it!" Mila called as she practiced with Edmund and Peter. "Lunge faster Peter or you'll get yourself killed!" She told him, "Your cute when your bossy!" Peter shouted over the noise of the clashing blades. "It would be cute right now if you two stopped flirting!" Edmund mumbled as he lunged for Mila. She sighed as the boy tagged her shoulder slightly. "Oh, I'm sorry." He paused. "No, no that's good! Keep practicing and you'll probably become Narnia's best swordsman." The boy grinned, "Even better than you?" Mila chuckled. "Notice I said swordsMAN Ed, not swordsWOMAN." Peter smiled, "What about me?" Mila pretended to think about it. "You've got your pretty face and personality to make up for being moderately okayish at sword fighting." He rolled his eyes, "That was hurtful Mila, but being able to practice with you makes up for it." She nodded before standing on her tippy toes to lightly kiss the lips of the boy. Edmund groaned. "You know, horse riding and sword fighting together is a good skill to have during battle." Peter grinned. "Finally something I'm good at!"
The princess watched as the boys saddled up two horses. "Aren't you coming?" She nodded, "I'll catch up." Peter watched as the girl lightly fiddled with the hem of her sleeve. "You can't ride can you?" She groaned. "No, I can't! I never got that white pony to have lessons on!" Peter grinned, "Come on." He told her before reaching for her hand. "We'll go together."