thirteen

{chapter thirteen  ~  maybe your wife

{chapter thirteen ~ maybe your wife... }

The Narnian army walked slowly back to camp, their defeat weighing on their shoulders with a crushing force. Edmund and Susan clutched Peter's hand as they walked together, tears of sadness and anger spilling over with no way of stopping. Lucy stood up ahead, her smile quickly dropping at the sight of such a small number returning. A small gasp escaped her lips when she noticed four royals, instead of five. Mila hadn't returned and she knew, simply by their faces she hadn't made it out.

"What happened?" She questioned, her older brother's teary face turning to one of anger. "Ask him." He simply stated as he shook his sibling's hands from his own and carefully took Mila's sword from Edmund. He sheltered it from the wind like a baby, the sword was a prized possession. His late wife's prized possession.

"Peter," Susan warned as she witnessed the harsh glare that Peter had forced upon Caspian. "Me? You could have called it off there was still time." Caspian retorted. The High King shook his head, "No, there wasn't thanks to you." The shaky breath he let out to keep back the tears was audibly heard by the remaining Narnians. "If you stuck to the plan those soldiers would still be alive now, my wife would still be alive now!" His voice grew louder as he spoke, the anger he'd kept in finally spilling over. "If you had just stayed here like I suggested - like your wife suggested - they'd all definitely be alive now!" Caspian shot back, his voice too, laced with anger. "You called us remember!" Peter shouted. The Narnians and the Pevensies siblings watched in awe as the two young men fought. "My first mistake!" Prince Caspian snarled. Peter chuckled, "No, your first mistake was thinking you could lead these people." He stated quickly before turning away from the younger man. "Hey!" Caspian shouted, his loud and suddenly abrupt voice capturing the attention of anyone in the radius. "I'm not the one who abandoned Narnia!" The eldest Pevensie took a breath before stepping closer to the young Prince, "You invaded Narnia! You have no more right leading them than Miraz does! Not you, him, your father! Narnia's better off without the lot of you!"

A roar came from the two young men as blades were unsheathed and pure anger and fury coursed its way through their gains. "Stop it!" Edmund shouted causing the two men to lower their swords. Trumpkin lay almost lifeless in the arms of Glenstorm. Lucy rushed over quickly, her veil of shimmering liquid ready in her hand. She saved Trumpkin quickly.

"Is she really gone?" Lucy whispered into the silence as the four Pevensies lay on the cracked stone table. Nothing but each other and silence to comfort one another as they all huddled around their elder brother. Each of them wrapped in the other's arms. A sob finally escaped Peter's trembling lips, "She's gone, Lu." He shuddered, tears falling from his ocean eyes that Mila adored so much. "It's all my fault." Edmund whispered, causing Peter to look at him, "Mila told me not to tell you. I came up with the plan after you ordered her Pete, it's my fault she was there. I just wanted to make sure she planned to come safely because I knew she'd come anyway." He spoke quickly, tears now falling from his eyes as he played with the tatted bracelet Mila and he had made all those years ago. "I really thought she had gotten out." He muttered. "It's my fault too," Lucy said, her head burying deeper into Peter's arm. "I spoke to her before she left, I told her I'd keep it a secret." Peter shook his head as he pulled each of his siblings closer, "If I had just let her come in the first place." He muttered. "It could have ended the same way, Peter," Susan told him, her hand placed gently over her brothers. "Mila would have fought to the death, we know that. She wouldn't have easily backed down because she was fighting for her home." Peter chuckled, "She was a stubborn one, wasn't she?" The four laughed, "More stubborn than you surprisingly, Pete." Edmund chuckled, which caused his head to be tapped lightly by Peter. "She'll be with her mum and dad now," Susan said, a smile on her face because she finally knew Mila would have fulfilled happiness. "And Mr. Tumnus, the Beavers, and everyone else we knew," Lucy told them. "Besides, Peter. You and Mila are a destiny. You'll see her again, someday."

Edited - 20/04/2023