four

{ chapter four ~ the secret police }

Mila rushed to the side of Mrs Beaver, "What is she doing?" Peter asked at the female beaver dashed around her home, throwing everything from her cupboards into a small bag. "You'll be thanking me later!" Mila grabbed essentials, being on the run for a while she knew what to get. "What's that?" Peter asked her as she clung to a glass bottle and a few cloths. "Alcohol!" She shouted back. "Do you really think we're going to have time to give a toast?" He sarcastically asked. "It's for wounds! Stupid!" She smiled as she saw Peter smack himself in the head, clearly calling himself an idiot. "Why do we need that?" Susan questioned. "It's a long journey and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry!" She said as she grabbed a loaf of bread. "I'm cranky now!" He told her. "Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan asked as she and Mrs Beaver finished packing. "Only if the Witch serves toast!" Peter spoke in a hurried tone. Mila stopped what she was doing to laugh at the boy, she knew it wasn't the time but what he said made her chuckle. Clearly, Susan wasn't impressed. The Princess only stopped laughing when a bark came from the window above her. "We need to go now!" She shouted. She grabbed Peter and Lucy before staring at the Beavers. "Well then?" She shouted, becoming impatient as time went on. "This way!"

A dull, small tunnel. Mila went last, hoping to attempt to fight off any wolves. That was if she could. All she had on her was a small dagger that had belonged to her father before he passed. "Mila!" Peter shouted to her, causing her to pick up her pace. The grunt Lucy made her look to the floor, there the little girl lay, her sister clutching her. The barks and howls of the wolves bounced and echoed. "They're in the tunnel." Mila's eyes widened. "Quick this way!" "Hurry!" Mila helped Lucy to her feet before the group continued running. "Run!" Peter said as he continuously turned back to make sure the girls (including Mila) were safe.

A dead end. Mila held her breath as the commotion of the wolves drew nearer. Her head, still with an open and untreated wound, was pounding. "After all this time! I didn't think I'd die in a tunnel, by some dogs!" She was panicking. She knew now wasn't the situation. But it's all she could think of. "You should have brought a map!" Mrs. Beavers argued. "There wasn't room next to the jam!" Mila watched as Mr. Beaver jumped up, digging a quicker escape route. Peter went last. Once again making sure everyone was safe before him. "Here!" Mila said, lending him a hand to get him out of the tunnel.

It was dark outside, Mila only took her eyes from the surrounding area to the grunt of Lucy as she tripped over some small statues. "I'm so sorry dear." Mrs. Beaver comforted her husband. "He was my best mate." Mila took her eyes from the scene. The White Witch had struck again. "What happened here?" Peter Pevensies' words broke the awkward silence. "This becomes of those who cross the White Witch!"

A fox. Mila gasped, holding her dagger ahead in a threatening way. "Stay back!" She told him. "Traitor! If you take one more step, I'll chew you to splinters." Mr. Beaver angrily said, still upset about his friends. "Relax, I'm one of the good guys!" Mila let out a low chuckle, "Really?" She said in disbelief, her dagger held firmly. "Because you definitely look like one of the bad guys!" The fox drew nearer. "An unfortunate family resemblance, Princess. Now, we'll cover that later, we have to move!" Previously Mila hated using her royal ways, especially since she hadn't been one for centuries. "I don't take orders from a fox!" She stated firmly. From behind, Peter smirked, Mila wasn't the shy and frightened Princess he had met in the torn-down home of Mr. Tumnus, she had come out of her shell a little, instead, she was a strong defender, fighting for her home. Once again the barks from the wolves came. "Okay! Only once!" ("What do you have in mind.")" she and Peter said together, causing them to grin. But only Susan noticed the light pigment of colour that flushed their cheeks.

"Greetings Gents." The fox slyly said to the wolves. Mila and the group observed from a safe distance up a tree. The Princess often shivered, she was cold but that wasn't something she could worry about at that moment. "Lost something has we?" In any other situation, Mila probably would have chuckled at the fox's sly remarks. "Don't patronise me!" The wolf, Mila recognised as Maugrim, barked. "We're looking for some humans!" Mr. Fox chuckled, "Humans? In Narnia? The only human I know of is Princ-" The fox cut himself off at the growl of Maugrim. "Mila Jones, but nobody has seen her in centuries!" he corrected as Maurgrim and his pack still circled, "She's one of the humans!" Another chuckle, "Well that's some interesting information!" The fox replied. Mila jumped slightly as Maurgrim flung himself onto the fox. The cry from the animal caused Lucy to gasp. Peter eyed her and simply placed his finger to his lips, telling her to be quiet. "Your reward is your life!" He told the, now, injured fox. "And it's not much." He chuckled. "Where are the fugitives?" Mila thought for a second, the fox was going to rat them out. After all, he didn't have to save them, his life was surely more precious to him than theirs was. The group waited on the tree branch anxiously. "North. They ran North."

After the wolves had definitely gone, Mila was the first to jump down. "Thank You." She told him. "Is there anything I can do to help?" She motioned to his bleeding wounds. "Save Narnia? That's all I want from you, my Princess." She nodded a smile forming on her face, "I'll try."

As the darkness took over, Peter and Mila set out to look for firewood. "That was close." She mumbled as she held her arms close to her for warmth. "Extremely," Peter replied. Mila grabbed a few sticks from the ground and she handed them to Peter. Who once again, noticed how cold her hands were. "Aren't you cold?" He asked her, his blue eyes dancing over her. "Freezing." She honestly told him. "But I'll warm up as soon as we get back and get a fire started." Peter smiled. With one hand clutching the wood, he took his other arm from the coat sleeve and flung it loosely around Mila. "Better?" He asked her, a smile forming on her face. "Much." The two walked back slowly, possibly wanting to spend more time alone. "Why are you being so nice to me?" Mila asked. "Because you're helping us." He replied. "I wouldn't have to help you if you had never met me in the first place. I practically got you in this situation."
Peter shook his head ever so slightly. "Don't." He told her as he looked down at her small figure. "Being back in the countryside with Professor Kirke would be boring anyway. I'm glad I met you!" Mila let out a sigh of relief as she leaned closer to the boy. "I'm glad I met you Peter Pevensie."

Edited - 19/04/2023