69. safe and sound

69. safe and sound

 safe and sound

QUINN

     THE SILENCE WAS BROKEN SUDDENLY. The cops reached for their guns and in return Quinn and the others took theirs. Daryl rushed forwards to pull Beth out of the line of fire and even made the effort of taking Quinn's dagger out of Dawn's corpse. He didn't even give the corpse a second glance. Quinn took the weapon from him but her eyes remained focused on the cops standing before them, waiting for one of them to make a wrong move.

But the female cop her group had taken prisoner held out her hands in an attempt to stop them for firing. 'It's done,' she said, her voice stern for someone who looked so unsure of herself. 'It's over.'

'Yeah,' Rick said, watching as the cops slowly lowered their weapons. 'And I'm taking anyone back there who wants to come with us.'

Silence fell over the hall once again. The wards and patients that had watched the entire scene play out from the back of the hallway needed a second to realise Rick was talking about them. They shared a few uncomfortable glares, which was enough for Quinn to know they would never take Rick his offer. They'd rather let themselves be beaten up by poor excuses of cops than step outside and be free. Granted, outside the dead roamed. Inside these walls they could at least pretend like the world was fine and not getting worse with each passing day. For however long these walls would keep on standing...

Quinn was pretty sure that sooner rather than later this place would be gone. She didn't believe in safe havens anymore. It was just them against the world now. And she was more than willing to take those chances.

When no one answered Rick nodded curtly and the look on his face told her that he was thinking the exact same thing she was. These people were already dead. He turned on his heels and walked up to the door without a second glance.

The group didn't hesitate to follow him, leaving the tense silence behind and while they made their way down the stairs the mood slowly changed. It started out subtle but the further down the staircase they got, the brighter the group seemed to shine. Beth was hugged by everyone and even though silent tears were still rolling down her cheeks, she managed to smile so brightly that it was almost painful to look at her. As they walked down the long hallway that would take them to their freedom, the teenager came walking next to Quinn and put her arm around the woman her shoulders. 'Thank you,' she whispered.

Her gratitude made it impossible to not smile back at her. 'You're very welcome,' Quinn replied as she pulled the girl closer, not planning on ever letting her out of her sight again.