72. up in the woods

72. up in the woods

 up in the woods

QUINN

     SHE KEPT HER EYES FOCUSED ON THE GROUND beneath her feet while she all but stomped through the forest. Ignoring Daryl his annoyed sighs and grunts was easy enough seeing as her thoughts were only focused on one thing.

It wasn't fair.

Tyreese had been an example to all of them. He was kind, decent and basically everything she wasn't. She was a liar who was betraying everyone close to her. So, what she couldn't understand was why the world had taken Tyreese his life and not hers. The man deserved to be happy, to have a future, to see a brighter tomorrow.

It wasn't fair.

And what only fueled her anger more was the fact that there wasn't a drop of water in sight. The earth was completely dry. Sand and dust blew into the air with every angry step she took. It hadn't rained in weeks so it wasn't strange there was barely any water. And with the sun shining its heat down so mercilessly even the biggest rivers were starting to become dryer with each passing day.

The only thing left to eat were a few nuts and mushrooms and some of that deer flesh she and Daryl brought back yesterday. Food wasn't an issue. They needed water. And she was determined to find some. But through her angry and miserable state she could hardly think straight and just walked around like a mad man. She was too proud to admit her emotional state however and refused to stop and let Daryl take the lead.

It was kind of funny to her actually how when Rick ordered them to make pairs, the two of them hadn't even looked at each other and just walked off into the forest together. It had been just the two of them for a while and even though she still felt like he a was mystery to her, maybe she understood him better than she gave herself credit for. She knew what he thought with only one look at him, knew what he was going to do in almost every situation and also knew that no matter what, he'd have her back.

And so she also knew he was letting her stomp around like an idiot because he understood she needed to get this out of her system. He understood her anger, her grief for a man she barely knew but wished a much better life for. What he didn't know, however, was how with every step her body felt like it would fall apart. Her skin was still a painting of blue, purple and yellow bruises and sometimes she'd wake in the middle of the night because her bones were aching so bad she thought she might die. The healing process was coming along way too slow and she couldn't wait until she could run around without pain again.