Chapter 9 ~ Gaara, Shikamaru, Gaara

Enjoy!

      Gaara realized class was dismissed as he saw his fellow classmates leaving the classroom as he and Aizawa walked.

    “You did pretty well Gaara,” Aizawa said, turning to the small boy.  “Although we will have to work on your physical capabilities, since you can’t completely rely on your sand.  On top of that, just because you are being forced to be here doesn't mean that you are allowed to stop putting forth effort in the middle of my class." Aizawa stated irritably, Gaara just stood and listened, unfazed.  Gaara sighed, earning him a very confused look out of Aizawa, who was not expecting such a sound to come out of the boy.

    "Shukaku was being annoying, I was done dealing with both of you." Gaara said casually.

    Aizawa just stared at the boy.  His first instinct told him he should scold Gaara for being disrespectful, or tell the kid that he can’t get away with doing that, but he could tell Gaara was tired.  He could only imagine how hard it was to have a constant voice speaking to you, telling you what you should do and trying to take control. It sounded worse than living with Yamada, but then again, Aizawa chose to live Yamada, and Gaara couldn’t say the same.

    Aizawa decided to drop the topic and move on. "So kid, tomorrow you are meeting with the principal.  He wants to talk with you since you did not come to the school through traditional means." He informed, "The principal is quite interestin-"

    Suddenly,  he was cut off by a loud squeal.  “Gaaarrrraaaa!” Temari’s voice echoed through the building as she rounded the corner into the classroom.  Following behind her was the cat-eared boy, who showed more signs of exhaustion, though the same amount of excitement.

    “How was your first day at school?” Kankuro asked, walking over to Gaara.  He had originally planned on tackling him, but no longer had enough energy to do so.  Gaara merely shrugged at the question, though his thoughts went to what Shukaku had told him.  Gaara narrowed his eyes and tried pushing the thought away. He wouldn’t let the demon control his life.  Temari and Kankuro noticed Gaara’s narrowed eyes. Kankuro grew slightly worried, but decided not to say anything.

    “Everything okay Gaara?  Did anyone hurt you? If they did I swear,” Temari warned.  Gaara’s eyes went back to their near-blank state and he shook his head.

    “No,”  Gaara plainly stated.  Despite this, Temari spun around to Aizawa.  Temari then proceeded to put Aizawa through the third degree.

    “Did something happen to him?  Were the kids nice enough? Nobody got hurt today did they?  YOU didn’t do anything, right? Did anyone ask him a lot of personal questions?” Temari’s questions seemed like they would never end as her dangerous eyes told every intention she was planning on doing to anyone who so much as breathed on her baby brother.  

    “No.” Aizawa said irritated, “Gaara is fine, we have to go to the staff room to find Yamada and I have to get my materials."

    Despite being still worried, Temari decides to drop her concerns for now.  They all then head out and down the hall to the staff room.

     On their way there, they passed several classrooms, a computer lab, and a library.  Gaara glanced through the library window with envy which did not go unnoticed by Temari.

    "Gaara, you didn't bring any of your books from our house, did you?" Temari assumed.  Gaara shook his head no. "Aizawa, while you go to the staff room to pick up your materials, can we head into the library?" She asked.

    "Alright, but while you are in there, I suggest you should find your textbooks Gaara, from what I understand you are quite behind the other students thanks to your background." Aizawa gave in.  At the word textbook, Gaara's eyes lit up ever so slightly. For most of his life books had been his only source of information, Temari had started to teach him to read, but he had to figure it out on his own once his father found out.  This did not stop them from slipping him books whenever they got the chance though. He still doesn't understand why his siblings would give him anything.

    Temari gave a brilliant smile and grabbed Konkuro's arm forcibly dragging the protesting boy along, while Gaara followed behind.

    Kankuro really wanted to go to the staff room.  In both of his years going to U.A. he had never gotten close to the room, no matter how hard he tried.  Yet, there he was, the first day of his third year and he had been handed the opportunity on a silver plate.  Temari just had to go and ruin everything for him.

  “Alright Gaara, why don’t you look around for some good books that you think you’d like while Kankuro and I check for the textbooks you’ll need and anything that we think you might like,” Temari suggested, continuing to drag a depressed Kankuro with her.

    Gaara was wandering through the rows when he happened upon someone he recognized.  He was surprised because he was sure everyone in his class had gone home by this point and curious as to why his classmate was still here.  

    Keeping one eye on the boy down the aisle from him Gaara continued to look at the books.  He found himself in the romance section, a place he never would have ended up in if he had been paying attention.

    Little did Gaara know, the boy also was just wandering around the library and had happened to find himself in the romance section.  The boy was in the library of his own free will, finding comfort in the isolation of the library, the old and new smelling tomes on the rough wooden shelves, and the quiet atmosphere avoiding something he knew was impossible to ignore.  The boy finally noticed the small red head as their paths led them closer. The boy glanced over at the smaller boy, unable to look away. The smol bean felt the eyes of his stalker on him and turned, locking eyes with him.

    A sharp ringtone broke the boy's concentration as he blinked and full on sprinted out of the library, earning him angry shouts from the other patrons.

    What was interesting was that both boys were thinking the same thing: he has strange eyes.