Chapter 13 ~ Everybody Hated Me

Hope you enjoy!

     Gaara sighed as he glided down the halls.  Carrying both himself and his things with his sand.  This was earning him quite a bit of looks as he traveled.

    "I thought you didn't want to stand out?" Shukaku said.  Gaara stopped in the middle of the hallway as the cold voice took its normal place in his consciousness. Gaara could imagine Shukaku raising an eyebrow.

    "And I thought I would finally have some peace and quiet." Gaara shot back, wondering why he had remained silent for so long.  Shukaku had never gone that long without speaking before, even though most of the time it was some snarky comment.

    "You can't get rid of me that easily, in fact you can't get rid of me at all." Shukaku said proudly.

    "I bet I could find a way." Gaara responded, earning him a chuckle from the tanuki*.  As he was speaking to Shukaku he had reached the classroom.  Strangely, Gaara did affect him.  He immediately went to his seat which was beside the boy he had seen at the library the other day.  Of course, Gaara did not remember his name, nor if he had ever heard his name.

     Gaara opened the next textbook he planned on reading, which was Japanese History, and ignored his classmates happy drones.  He felt eyes on him coming in the direction of the boy, but he ignored that too. Shukaku was also humming and it was harder to push away than the other distractions.  

    "Class." Aizawa said in a form of greeting.  "Ok everyone is here," he continued after a quick scan.  "For the rest of homeroom, do individual study, I'm taking a nap." he yawned zipping up his yellow sleeping bag.  "Oh, Kazekage, the Principal wants to see you, go to his office." He said as an afterthought.

    At this Gaara stood up while the students whispered and made strange noises.  Gaara walked to the front of the class and out the door. As soon as the door shut, the caterpillar closed the eye he was keeping on the boy, leaving the rest of the class bewildered.

    "We don't even have homework yet, and we already are supposed to individually study?" a girl with pink hair complained to a yellow haired boy near her.

    "Yeah, it's pretty strange," he said eyeing the teacher, "but I am guessing we are going to have to get used to strange."

    The boy who sat next to Gaara just watched the door.  He was quite mystified by the small redhead. He wondered why he was being called to the principal.  On top of that, he wondered why he had been in the library past school hours the other day, and seemed to be carrying a lot of books. (Man Todoroki, stop being such a hypocritical stalker)

    As Gaara walked down his classroom's hallway, he realized that he had no idea how to get to the principal's office and suddenly stopped.

    "Wooooow, great job," Shukaku said sarcastically. "Now we're really lost."

    "Shut up" Gaara said back, not realizing that he had said this out loud.

    "Hey," a boy said, causing Gaara to jump slightly.  He had been so caught up in arguing with Shukaku, he forgot he was still in a public place.  Gaara turned around and saw a boy with indigo hair and dark purple eyes, with bags like Aizawa.

    "Yes?" Gaara asked, confused as to what the boy might want.  The other boy was quite confused as well. He wasn't sure whether he should be offended or concerned by the boy.

    "Uh, you were the one to tell me to shut up... I was only wondering where you were headed."  Gaara quickly realized what the boy was referring to, and Gaara internally glared at Shukaku. He also guessed that the boy had said something before Gaara had ended his most recent talk with Shukaku.

    "Sorry, I didn't realize I was talking out loud," Gaara spoke quietly.  The purple haired boy gave another look over the redhead.

    "Uh huh," he nodded.  Just before he was about to turn away, he noticed the small boy's uniform.  "Hey you're in the hero class, right?" he asked. Gaara didn't see how this was relevant, nor how the boy knew, but he nodded.  The boy's posture changed slightly as he leaned back more. "What would someone from the hero course be doing in the General Studies hall?" he questioned.  Gaara was now quite puzzled as he glanced around.

    "I wasn't sure where I was going and I was also quite distracted." Gaara stated.  The stranger gave him another weird look. He wasn't quite sure whether the boy was messing with him, or if he actually was lost.  Looking at Gaara's calm expression, the boy from General Studies was not convinced.

   "The hero classes are back in the opposite direction you came from and to the right," He said.

    "Thanks but I just came from my classroom, I am actually looking for the Principal's office." Gaara explained.  The purple haired boy again looked at Gaara strangely.  He had thought students were given a map of the school, or at least knew the basics of their classes, lunchroom, and the principal's office.  However, from Gaara's expression the purple haired boy could tell he wasn't joking or messing around.

    "Well if you're looking for the principal's office you're in the wrong place.  For that you'll want to go down this hallway the way you were going hang a left and continue until you come to where the main entrance is...'' halfway through trying to give the directions, the boy decided it'd be easier if he just showed him.  "Actually, it'd be easier if I just show you," he said, walking down the hallway.

   Gaara was slightly thankful he didn't have to keep track of directions while Shukaku was humming or talking about random things just to annoy him.  Gaara followed the boy as he led him through the halls.  He paid as close attention as he could, so he would be able to make a mental map of the school for later.

    "My name is Shinso by the way." Shinso said looking back at Gaara.

    "My name is Gaara." He said softly.  

    "Gaara?  That is a weird family name." Shinso stated.

    "It's not my family name, why would I use that?"  Gaara asked in confusion. Now that he thought about it, Aizawa had called him by his last name earlier.  

    Shinso was extremely confused at this point, how could the boy not know how people were addressed?  He took a moment, debating whether he should even bother explaining it to the clearly clueless boy.

    "When you first meet someone it's customary to introduce yourself by your last name, and you only use their first name when you are close enough and given permission," Shinso finally explained.  

    Gaara nodded slightly, taking in the new information.  He guessed that he did not know this because he was only ever around family.

    "Call me Gaara anyway.  It's the name I am used to." Gaara dismissed.  

    "Okay then... anyway we are here." Shinso pointed at the door next to him.  "Well... it was interesting, Gaara, I will probably not see you around, or at least you won't see me." He said while walking back the way they came.

    "That's what he thinks,"  Shukaku said with a challenge hidden in his voice.  Gaara just shrugged and walked into the principal's office without bothering to knock.

*Tanuki: Japanese raccoon dog