Chapter 12 ~ I live in the Sand

Hello there, we hope you enjoy 😁

      The next morning came sooner than Gaara had anticipated.  The beginning of the night was a little rough due to the fact that he had to figure out how to keep Swirls satisfied while still reading some of his book to keep himself occupied.  However, he ended up petting Swirls and occasionally tossing a toy for the cat, while using the sand to prop the book up and flip the pages.  By the time Gaara had finished the book, Aizawa was in his room telling him breakfast was ready.

    As he left his room he almost ran into Kankuro who was stumbling down the hallway yawning rubbing at his eyes.  Temari was behind him with a sleepy expression on her face.

    "Good morning Gaara," Kankuro yawned out using the wall to keep himself upright.  Gaara nodded in response, which he doubted Kankuro saw due to the fact that he was basically sleep walking.

     "What did you read last night, anything interesting?"  Temari asked, being careful to stay out of Kankuro's path.  At this point they had almost reached the kitchen.

    "I read a textbook last night, one of the ones for class," Gaara responded, "the one on Earth Science." Aizawa spat the orange juice he had been drinking out at this.

    That textbook was supposed to cover material for a whole school year and Gaara had read it in one night.  Aizawa supposed that just because he read the book, did not mean that he understood the entire thing.

    Kankuro seemed to snap out of his drowsy state slightly and he wrinkled his nose.  "Ew, I never even finished that one in an entire year.  There were so many long, useless words," Kankuro groaned.  Gaara simply shrugged.

    "It wasn't that complex and was actually kind of interesting.  I learned more about the atmosphere than anything else, but the most interesting was about sandstone.  How a rock is weathered and eroded, creating sand, and from there the sediments can fall into a bowl-shaped basin and be compressed into stone," Gaara casually said, seeming more invested in the conversation than usual.  Kankuro grew a mischievous smile, first nudging Temari.

    "See, I told you he was a genius," Kankuro sneered, before turning his attention back to his brother.  "You know Gaara, if you ever get bored, I have some Calculus textbooks you can-" Kankuro was cut off by a punch in his arm by Temari.

    "Don't try to get out of doing your work!  You should use Gaara as an example of what you should be doing and get things done on time... Though if you pay attention in class you wouldn't have to really even read the book," Temari retorted.  Kankuro and Temari began bickering again, but Aizawa was further stunned.

    Aizawa was watching this exchange with bewilderment.  Although he had high hopes, he had been afraid that Gaara would not be able to catch up to the rest of his class, due to his lack of schooling, but if he could read this quickly and retain and understand the information, he could definitely catch up - possibly even surpass his class.  Aizawa felt a flash of warmth run through him. He wondered if he was getting sick or just turning soft.

    Aizawa suddenly realized something, or rather someone, was missing: Yamada.  Aizawa quickly slipped away from the bickering siblings as he went upstairs to his room to find the yellow-haired man still asleep holding the black and white tuxedo cat.  Aizawa felt the warm feeling again, which he always got while looking at Hizashi and realized that he was growing attached to the young bean downstairs.  Aizawa sighed and went to wake up his husband.

    After eating breakfast and feeding the cats, everyone went back up to their rooms to get ready for the day.  Gaara got dressed and grabbed his books and supplies. He didn't have a backpack so he used his sand to carry his things down the stairs.  

    Upon seeing Gaara with his improvision, Yamada, made a mental note to buy the boy a backpack, having not realized that since Gaara had never been to school before, he never had a need to have a backpack before.  Seeing as it was too late now, he decided not to worry about it till later.  Temari and Kankuro saw no issue in it, having been used to Gaara usually carrying his things that way.

    "Let's go then!" Yamada said enthusiastically clapping his hands together.  They all got into Aizawa's car and headed to school.