Chapter 28 ~ Gaara in A Bird

Hello!  We hope you enjoy this chapter! There will be a note at the bottom.

After they all got home and everyone started doing their own thing, Yamada went to the kitchen.  “TEMARI!!!” He shouted. Temari came down from her room to find Yamada in the process of getting a whole lot of cooking supplies out. 

     “Yes?” Temari asked politely, wondering what was going on.

     “You will be helping me with cooking duty tonight!  It will be fun and easy!” Yamada said. He had picked out BLTs because it was simple and easy for a lesson.  ‘No one can mess this up’ he thought. 

     “Ok, what do I need to do?”  Temari inquired, wanting to prove Kankuro wrong.  

     “We are making bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches!  So, first we have to rip the lettuce up.” Yamada explained, showing her how to rip the lettuce.  Temari instantly failed. The pieces she ripped off always managed to be too small or too large. When she tried to fix the larger pieces, she just ended up with two too small pieces.  Temari decided to admit that her brother was right. 

     “Sorry, Yamada, I think I just am not cut out for this.” Temari said, defeated.

     “Don’t be silly, it doesn’t matter the size of the lettuce, you can always put more than one peice on a sandwich.” Yamada comforted, “I think we have enough lettuce now, let’s toast the bread now!” 

     Temari concluded that the toaster hated her.  Every single slice of bread she put in came out burnt.  As soon as Yamada came over from where he was frying bacon to help her out, his toast came out perfect.  She left the toasting to Yamada. “I think I will just set up the table or something, I-“ she started before Yamada cut her off.  

     “Nonsense!  You can do this, here, let me show you how to cut tomatoes!”  Yamada exclaimed, turning down the burner on the bacon. Yamada showed her how to hold the knife and where on the tomato to cut.  “You want thinner slices, but not too thin.” Yamada instructed, returning to the stove, “You’ve got this!”

     Temari seriously doubted that she had this.  She repeated the steps to herself as she prepared to cut through.  “Ouch!!” Temari shouted in pain.

     Yamada looked over at Temari in surprise.  “SHOTA!!!!!!!!!!!” He screamed looking around in panic.

     Shota appeared worried that something was seriously wrong.  He hadn’t heard Hizashi that panicked since Shota had been in the hospital.  “What is wrong?” He asked, already assessing the situation for himself. Temari was holding her finger and trying to get Hizashi to calm down, saying it was just a small cut.  Shota sighed, “Temari, lets go get your finger fixed up so Hizashi can calm down.” He knew that Hizashi was not only upset that she had gotten hurt, he blamed himself, even if it was no big deal.  

     As soon as Aizawa had finished speaking Mustachio came into the kitchen.  He had heard all the noise and had wandered in to investigate only to smell the bacon.  Aizawa paid no attention to the cat as he ushered Temari up the stairs and towards the bathroom, leaving Yamada alone.

     Yamada locked eyes with the ‘starving’ cat as he was filled with determination.  He knew he had to keep the food safe, especially since Temari had gotten hurt while doing her best.  He could not let her efforts go to waste. He put himself in between the cat and the bacon as the tuxedo cat sniffed the air, nose high.  Mustachio’s emerald eyes narrow, looking behind where Yamada is standing, as he locks on to where he can only assume the delicious smell is emitting from.  And all Yamada can do is hope, as he prepares to face off against the terrifying beast.