Chapter 24 ~ Gaara, Gaara, Lee

Ello!

The rest of the meal went a lot smoother.  Other than the fact Aizawa ate mainly sweets, Yamada was quite pleased with the whole event.

     “Is everyone full?”  Yamada asked, ready to go.

     “Yes.  Thank you for letting me join you!” Nejire said happily.  Temari nodded in delight, while Kankuro let out a burp, patting his stomach.  This earned him a punch in the arm. 

     They all got into the car, this time with Aizawa in the driver’s seat.  Aizawa wanted to make sure that there would be no more unnecessary stops.  
Sure, give it a little break before we continue with the actual plot.  Not sure, I’ll check
     Aizawa got Nejire’s address from her and dropped her off.  With that, the group headed back to the house. As they walked to the front door of the house, they could hear meowing.

     “Are those your cats?” Kankuro asked, quite confused as they parked along the curb.  With that, a wave of realization hit Yamada and Aizawa like a bus as they realized they never got the cats their dinner.  Swirls also hadn’t been on a walk in a few days and was probably getting restless. The couple raced out of the car and to the front door.  Aizawa cared deeply for his cats, and didn’t like the thought of them going hours past their usual dinner time. Yamada was more concerned with the house, since he knew what kind of damage each cat on their own could cause.

     “Uh, I guess we should head in as well,” Temari stated slowly.  She then grabbed some bags with the outfits she had gotten for Gaara, and watched as Kankuro rushed in with a few bags of his own.  Gaara and Temari were the last ones in the house, but as soon as they stepped in, a scream could be heard through the whole neighborhood.  Dropping the bags of clothing, Temari raced upstairs to check on her twin, terrified for what could have caused such pain in his voice. As soon as she approached the bathroom, she knew what it was.  Dirt was sprinkled here and there towards the stairs, and inside lay a shattered pot, a mound of wet dirt, and a dismantled cactus that was obviously dead. Scattered along the floor were small pea-looking pieces of the plant.  Despite not sharing her brother’s love for succulents, Temari still felt bad. She knew how much Kankuro cared for the plant.

     “What happened?” asked Gaara who had now made his way upstairs, after having put away his clothes.  He sounded more annoyed than concerned.

     “My life is ruined!  Spikasaurus Rex is dead!  And now I can’t go on in life without her!” Kankuro cried out, picking up the remains of his beloved plant.

     “One of the cats must have knocked over the pot, and from that height, it shattered when it hit the ground,” Temari explained, patting her brother on the back.  Gaara looked at the dirt, and the broken pot. He felt a tinge of sadness creeping up, but he wasn’t sure why. He didn’t really care for people, let alone plants.  He did remember how his brother had helped him at the restaurant earlier that day, and wondered if he should return the favor. So, Gaara simply waved his wrist as sand swirled to make a new pot, hardening in front of Kankuro.

     “G-Gaara…” Kankuro wasn’t sure what to say as he carefully picked up the slightly lighter pot.  He felt his eyes water up even more as he smiled at his baby brother. “Thank you Gaara! Now Spikasaurus Rex can have a proper memorial!” Kankuro suddenly exclaimed as he began collecting the dirt and pieces of his cactus, and putting them in the new pot.  Gaara shrugged and walked back to his room. He felt a unique feeling in his chest. It was an almost warm feeling, but he decided not to worry about it.

     “You're getting soft on me again, I’m warning you, this path will only get you hurt.” Shukaku cautioned.  Gaara did his best to ignore it, and pulled out his textbooks, wanting to distract himself with his studies.  After about half an hour, Gaara was joined by an eager Swirls, ready for her nightly routine.

     Meanwhile, Shota and Hizashi were headed to bed, exhausted over taking care of the cats.  After shutting their bedroom door and getting ready for bed without speaking, the pair curled up in bed together.  

     “So… ‘Zashi,” Shota started, moving so he was facing his husband.  “What was that earlier? Like how you gave them each a hundred dollars?”  

     “Well, I just feel like we need to spoil them, ya know?” Hizashi said.  “They really haven’t had a family to do things like that, to let them get what they wanted.” 

     “We aren’t their family either ‘Zashi, they are just staying here for a while.” Shota said.

     “What if they were… you know that I want us to have kids Sho.” Hizashi said hesitantly.  

     “I know love, I have been thinking about asking if you wanted to adopt them, but this isn’t just about us.  I don’t want to go too far. They just lost their father and moved here two days ago. If it’s okay, we could put in a request to adopt them, and if it is approved we can ask them about it.” Shota mumbled, earning a shriek and sobbing from Hizashi.

     “Be quiet!  They are sleeping!” Shota hissed, “Nothing is set in stone though, you understand that right?” 

     After calming down, Hizashi responded.  “Yes, of course! I just thought you didn’t ever want kids.”

     “I didn’t.” Shota said, “But these ones are okay I guess,” 

     “Awww is my brooding hubby having emotions?” 

     “Shut up.” Shota grumbled, turning over.  Hizashi smiled and cuddled into Shota. 

This is since the story started.
Death Count of Spikasaurus Rex: 1