Chapter 7

Blake

I'm currently changing after the match, chuckling in amusement at the loud cheers of the guys from the team. They keep yelling at the top of their lungs, slapping each other's backs and singing. I try not to get involved, cause my girl's waiting for me outside. She's not looking too good; I noticed how distracted she was when we walked here after the match and how little attention she paid to the match. Something's on her mind.

"I'm going home guys!" I call out, gathering my bag.

"Don't forget about the party! We're celebrating tonight!" Damien shouts after me.

"I'll see what I can do. I might be busy." I smirk at him, getting loud 'ooooh's from the guys.

"Lucky fucker." I catch few laughs as I walk out.

"Come on, hottie, I think I need some consolation after our loss." I see the quarterback of the opponent's team pestering my girl outside the locker room, with his guys surrounding her.

Lia looks annoyed, folding her arms over her chest. "Fuck off."

"Leave her the fuck alone if you don't want to go back with broken bones." I snarl their way, possessively taking my girl's hand and pulling her to my side. "She's mine."

"Let's go home, I don't want to deal with them." Lia quietly tells me, tugging at my hand.

"Okay." I give her a peck then we leave, ignoring the players behind us.

The drive home is quiet, but it's not the comfortable silence I'm used to. Lia is distressed, thinking about something, staring quietly out the window.

But I'm not going to push her. I know she'll tell me when she's ready. We don't keep secrets from each other.

We reach our apartment pretty fast, despite the traffic. I park the car then we go to the elevators to get to our floor.

"Good afternoon!" We're greeted by an older couple when the elevator stops on second floor.

"Good afternoon." Lia and I greet back.

"Couple?"

"Engaged." I grin, always happy to introduce my girl as my fiancée.

"You're quite young. – the woman smiles softly at our joined hands, before frowning – Are you pregnant?" She boldly asks.

"Honey! Don't bother them." Her husband, I'm guessing, scolds her.

"Oh, stop it Jerry. – The woman just waves him off – So, sweetie, are you?" She turns to Lia and I barely stop myself from laughing at the scowl on my girl's face.

"I'm not." She curtly replies.

"Oh, then how come you're already engaged?" I catch the man's sigh at his wife's meddling.

"Because we love each other." I answer this time, leaving no room for further discussion, getting off the elevator when we finally reach our floor.

"Why are people so curious about others' lives?" Lia grumbles as she hangs her jacket.

"Don't mind them. It's just mindless chatter to kill time." I kiss her head then take my bag to the bathroom to set the laundry.

"I'm making cocoa! Want some?" Lia calls out from the kitchen.

"Yeah, thanks kitten!"

Once I start the washing machine, I go to the bedroom to change, then head to the balcony, where my kitten waits for me with hot cocoa. I sit down next to her on the couch and she immediately snuggles into me. I can almost feel physically how upset she is. With a kiss on her head, I take the mug with cocoa from her and wrap my arm around her shoulders as we stare at the city.

"I met with Razor..." Lia starts quietly. I don't say anything, not wanting to interrupt her. "We didn't fight. He's actually... - she takes a shaky breath and I run my fingers through her hair, knowing it relaxes her – He's a cop. He was in charge of my case 7 years ago." She sets down her mug on the small table and carefully sits on my lap, engulfing me in her small arms as she buries her face in the crook of my neck.

"Why did he look for you?" I softly ask, rubbing her back under the shirt, massaging the tense muscles with my fingers.

"He wanted to warn me. That man... the one that... - she sighs heavily – That fucker was caught." I feel my body go rigid when I get who, but decide to wait patiently for my girl to elaborate.

"He admitted to everything when he was arrested and then... he got away, leaving a note that he's looking for his doll. He called me that as he... He's fucking coming for me! Why can't I get away from him?!" Lia cries out, clutching onto me tightly as she sobs.

I set my mug down, then squeeze my girl in my arms, whispering sweet nothings into her ear and kissing her head. We stay in a tight embrace for what feels like hours until Lia's finally calmed down enough to talk.

"I finally get over that fucking night and this happens! Why?! Why me?!"

"Shh, kitten. Everything will be okay, no one is going to hurt you again. I'm never letting you out of my sight."

"I have his mugshot in my pocket." Lia whispers, sniffling softly.

"What?" I feel like my eyes are about to fall out of my sockets.

"Razor gave it to me. He said he wanted me to know who to watch out for." She hiccups, shaking terribly. "I haven't looked at it. I couldn't. I thought I was stronger, but I'm not! I don't want to see his face!" I struggle to keep my nerves at bay when I hear this, itching to punch that fucking Razor guy, but my girl is more important right now. She's hurting and she needs me.

"Then don't look at it. Give it to me."

"No. You're already having nightmares because of me, I can't add to that." Lia vehemently refuses and I almost growl in frustration. This woman! She's too independent, she needs to lean on me more.

"Lia, for Christ's sake, I'm your man. Let me take care of you." I pull her even closer, leaving no space between us.

"But-"

"No buts. Just don't think about it and leave it to me." I sternly tell her, just hugging her.

"How did I get so lucky to get you?"

"It's me that's lucky, kitten. You just need to be yourself and I'll love you for the rest of my life." I say sincerely. Lia pulls her head away from my neck, gazing at me with bloodshot eyes, then cups my face in her small cold hands.

"I love you so much."

"I know. – I gently grab her head, pecking her forehead – I love you, too. More than myself. Now give me that picture." I finish strictly, making Lia laugh for some reason.

"Nice one, Cakey." She smirks, patting my cheek. It's good to see she's feeling better.

"Can't blame me for trying. – I shrug – But I'm serious. Don't look at that thing if it causes you pain. I don't want to see you so hurt anymore. Please, kitten."

"I'll put it away. Hide. Burn. Anything. But you're not looking at it." Lia's tone leaves no room for discussion.

She collapses against me, sighing heavily, as we stay cuddled on the balcony. I keep my hand over Lia's back, just rubbing it slowly while I think about what I'm supposed to do now.

Because I sure as fuck won't let my kitten deal with it alone.