Chapter 48

Lia

I play distractedly with Blake's fingers as he drives to Berkeley, thinking about what my brothers told me.

My grandparents want to spend Christmas with me. They want me to go to Atlanta...

I don't know what to think about it. On one hand, I'd like to give them a chance, since Aiden said they're really looking forward to meeting me, but on the other, I feel reluctant about going to see them. What if they turn out to be like Anna? What if they don't accept me for who I am...

I asked Aiden to tell them that I'm still considering their offer. As much as I understand that it's a 'family tradition' for them to spend holidays together, I can't just drop everything and give up my plans to go to them.

It's also my and dad's tradition to spend Christmas together. We were forced to give it up for two years, but now that there's no more threat, we want to be a family again.

Besides, I already have plans for holidays. I'm spending Christmas Eve with Blake's parents and my dad. It's our first Christmas as an engaged couple and we decided to spend it together with our families. On twenty-sixth, Blake and I are going to dinner with Maggie and Gun since they already invited us, and then on twenty-seventh we're supposed to go to Chicago to Mama Maria.

Maybe we could fly to Atlanta right before New Year's Eve. Yes, we. I sure as hell am not going there alone. Blake is my fiancé and if my 'family' wants to meet me, they have to be ready to meet my man too.

"A penny for your thoughts?"

"I'm just thinking about the whole 'Christmas-with-my-grandparents' thing. Do we really want to fly all the way to Atlanta without even knowing what kind of people my grandparents are?"

"We?" Blake chuckles.

"Of course. Surely you don't think I'd go there without you." I interlock our fingers and keep our joined hands on my thigh.

"I will follow you anywhere, kitten, even to the pits of hell need be. I just thought you'd maybe want to get to know your family without any interference." Cakey glances at me inquisitively and I sigh quietly.

"I do, but I'd rather not be alone. It's Christmas and I want to spend it with you." I tell him, getting a wide grin in response as Blake blows me a kiss.

"Okay, then. But when would we go? Our schedule for holidays is quite packed..."

"I was thinking maybe twenty-ninth?" I suggest.

"What about New Year's Day? Weren't we supposed to have a get-together with Will and Ty?" Blake implores and I curse. Fuck, I forgot about that.

"Damn it, it totally slipped my mind."

"We could always reschedule, I'm sure guys won't mind. We're free until the sixth, so we'll still have time to spend some time with them."

"We could also go to Atlanta after New Year. Not to spend holidays there, but just for a visit." I shrug.

"That's true, but we don't know if your grandparents and the rest of the family are available..." Blake trails off unsurely. He's right.

"You're right. Maybe it's best to go there during holidays. If it doesn't go well, we'll still have some time to go back to Walford. So, we gonna fly there on twenty-ninth?"

"That sounds like a good idea. – Cakey takes my hand, pressing a kiss to the back of it – Don't stress over it, kitten. We have bigger problems now." I frown questioningly at this.