Chapter 20

Blake

The woman sitting on my left, Annalise, is still crying, burying her face in her hands. I have no idea what to do. When Lia cries, I just pull her into my arms and let her get it all out, but comforting some stranger is not something I can do.

There is one thing that I find strange, though. "You said your name is Devereux. How come Alexander has the same last name as you when you clearly didn't get married?" I get Annalise's attention.

"Oh, yeah... It's my maiden name. I asked Alexander to put it on Amelia's birth certificate. I had no idea he changed his surname too." I nod in understanding.

"Will Amelia-"

"Lia." I correct, cutting her off.

"Lia. Will Lia... will she give me a chance?"

I don't want to crush her hopes already, but she needs to know it might not be that easy. "I don't know. It's not up to me."

"Could you maybe... talk to her? Convince her?"

"Why should I? – I counter, folding my arms over my chest as I lean back on the couch – It's her decision. Whether she wants you in her life or not, I'll still love and support her. I won't pressure her into doing something she doesn't want."

"I can tell you love her a lot. She's lucky to have such a supportive boyfriend."

"Fiancé, actually."

"Oh, sorry. I had no idea." She smiles.

"Tell me something, Annalise."

"You can call me Anna." She cuts me off with a smile.

"Anna, right. – I nod – How did you find her? And what's with the roses?"

"Um... The boys found her. They told me they've been searching for her behind their father's back for a while now. They found her, not me. And the flowers... I just wanted to somehow let her know that I don't have bad intentions."

I can't help but scoff. No bad intentions? She literally freaked my girl out! Lia had fucking panic attacks because of those damn roses! We all thought they came from that rapist that's after her! For weeks, my woman was suffering because of this!!!

"I'm gonna check on my girl. She's been gone for too long." I get up from the couch and head to the study, where Lia and her... brothers, I guess, had gone.

I don't bother knocking before coming in, only to stop in the doorway when I see the sight in front of me. I hear Anna behind me, but I pay her no mind, leaning my side against the door-frame with my hands in my pockets.

Lia is sitting curled up on the floor, sleeping against Aiden's shoulder. He watches her with a small adoring smile, just caressing her head gently. Ashton and Adrian are sitting in front of them, leaning against the back of the couch. I feel a smile appear on my face as I stare at them. I'll admit, I was apprehensive about letting them be alone, but those three seem to love their sister.

"She fell asleep few minutes ago." Aiden says when he notices me watching.

"I'll take her to bed." I move to go to them, but Aiden stops me.

"Let me." He pleads quietly. I only sigh and give him a nod.

Aiden swiftly picks Lia up, cradling her small form against his chest. He presses a kiss to her forehead then carries her out of the room, going to our bedroom. I open the door for him and he lays her on the sheets, tucking her in with another kiss to her head. "Sleep well, little sister."

"She must've been exhausted." Ashton states once we're outside the bedroom.

"Exhausted is an understatement. – I rebuke harshly – You have no idea what your stupid stunt caused. She hasn't eaten or slept properly for weeks because of you!"