Chapter 26

Blake

I leave my kitten alone for a while, knowing she needs a moment of peace. I wish there was something I could do to help her, but I know she should work through this first before she talks to someone.

I'm staying in the study, working on my assignment when I hear the bathroom door slamming with force. Something's wrong!

I quickly save the file on my laptop then go to the bathroom, knocking on the door frantically.

"Kitten! Everything okay?"

"Give me a moment. – she calls out from inside, making me frown when I hear the distress in her voice – I'll be out in few minutes." She adds.

I wait for her impatiently, pacing back and forth in front of the door. Is she sick again? I know she's been throwing up a lot the last few days, but I was sure it was a stomach bug because of that Indian food we got. Even I felt sick for a couple of days after that.

"You can come in now." Lia calls out after a while. She must've heard me pacing out the door.

I rush inside, only to see Lia curled up against the bathtub, staring blankly at the counter in front of her. "Baby, what's wrong? Are you feeling sick again?" I ask worriedly, crouching beside her.

Lia briefly glances at me then stares back at the counter. I follow her gaze, only for my eyes to widen when I see the thing lying next to the sink.

"Is that-?"

"A pregnancy test."

"Are you pregnant?"

"I don't know. I have to wait two more minutes. – she sighs, putting her arms around her knees – Blake, how can we have a baby right now?!" She cries out in despair.

I can't watch my kitten so broken, so I sit next to her and pull her onto my lap, cradling her to my chest. "First we need to know if you're pregnant, baby. We'll make it work. We always do." I kiss her head reassuringly.

"Do you want a baby?" Lia implores quietly, sounding slightly apprehensive. As if she needs to fear my reaction.

"I do, if it's with you. It's my dream to have a family with you, kitten. You're my dream." I confess, cupping her face so I can look into her gorgeous hazel eyes. "I love you, Lia."

"I love you too, Blake." She wraps her arms around my neck, hiding her face in the crook of it.

After a moment, Lia releases me of her hug and turns to the pregnancy test on the counter. Without a word, she gets off my lap and stands stiffly by the sink, just staring at the test. It takes her few seconds to finally make a decision and flip the test over to see the result.

"Kitten?" I implore after a moment of silence.

"Negative."

"What?"

"I'm not pregnant." She lets out a breath, almost falling to the floor as her knees buckle under her. I catch her before she manages to hit the ground, just holding her as she calms down. "I'm not pregnant." She sighs relieved.

But I can't help but feel conflicted about this.

On one hand, I'm relieved to hear we're not going to have a baby right now. We're nowhere near ready for that yet, especially with all the shit that's been happening with Lia's mother, that rapist stalker and Declan. I don't want to put a baby into all that.

On the other hand, I'm slightly sad, maybe even disappointed. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up just because Lia took a test, but I was already imagining her with a mini me in her belly. I've always wanted a lot of kids. Being an only child is... lonely sometimes. Though I never thought I would think about kids at the age of twenty. I've never imagined I would find a woman that I would love as much as I love Lia; that I would yearn for a family.