Chapter 49

Blake

Seeing Lia so snide and mean should make me feel bad for Mrs. Johnson, but no matter how much I try, I can't find it in me to feel sorry for her. She earned every ounce of disrespect sent her way.

Thankfully, the vile hag doesn't bother any of us for the rest of the lecture, keeping it strictly professional. She should've been like this from the beginning.

The day goes on peacefully, apart from the curious glances thrown Lia's way as we walk through the hallways. I don't bother doing anything about it, knowing people will keep staring anyway. And it's not like we're obligated to tell anyone what's going on in our life. They can stare all they want as long as they don't bother us.

When we're done with all our classes, it's time for the football practice. I am not looking forward to being interrogated by both the team and our coach, but it's unavoidable. We already told them we're going to talk to them about what was going on during the last weeks and neither Lia nor I break our promises.

"Justin?" I hear Lia ask as we walk past the bleachers. I glance at the guy she addresses, only for my eyes to widen slightly when he turns around. It's the captain of the Trojans!

"Hey Cookie. My god, what happened to you?!" He rushes to my girl, frowning worriedly as he looks her over.

"Trust me, you don't want to know." Lia sighs. "But what are you doing here?"

"I told you I'd come, you know, when you called about the drugs. – he shrugs – I already got the drugs to the cops and gave them my statement, but I thought I'd visit my Cookie. Dave told me you're coming back to classes today."

"And how did Dave know that?" Lia turns to me with an imploring look.

"I texted him and the guys yesterday. They've been asking about you." I reply casually.

"Aww, did they miss me? That's so sweet." She giggles. I only shake my head at her, having no response to that.

"Hey, knight couple! Get down here, will ya?" Coach Jones calls out, making me chuckle. 'Knight couple'?

"Yes, sir! – Lia calls back – Come on Justin, we can talk while the guys get tortured." Lia tugs at my hand and pulls me to the field. I hear Justin chuckle in amusement as he follows us, muttering something about Lia being a 'tough cookie'.

"Okay ladies, line up!" Coach orders as soon as we're all gathered, getting a curious look from Justin. Guess it's weird for the coach to call him team members 'ladies', especially with Lia here. "Since we're having a guest from the Trojans, we'll work on endurance and speed. We don't want to reveal our plays to an enemy, do we?" We all laugh at the dirty look coach throws Justin's way.

"You think I'd risk spying on the team with Cookie here? I'm not suicidal Coach Jones. – Justin chuckles – Lia is scary enough as it is and I'd rather not get on her bad side." He pats Lia's head teasingly, getting a glare from her. Few of us laugh at his admission, knowing exactly what he's talking about. Only those who know about my girl being an underground fighter know what she's capable of.

"Not the hair!" Lia complains before kicking Justin's shin.

"Ah fuck! Why did you do that?!" Justin whines, clutching onto his leg.

"Never touch my hair unless it's left loose. – my kitten warns sternly – I hate having a mess on my head. Blake, did he mess it up?" She pouts adorably, making me melt on the spot.

"A bit." I walk up to her, knowing she'd want me to fix it anyway. With expert fingers I adjust the messed up braid then tighten the tie around the ponytail.