Chapter 36

Lia

I stare distractedly out the window, watching the busy nightlife of San Francisco. People walk around aimlessly, enjoying their life, oblivious to everything around them. How happy would I be if I could just forget everything and not worry about someone trying to hurt me again? Would I be different than I'm now? Would I still be a fighter? Would I go from one place to another, staying hidden from public eye so I don't get discovered? Would I meet my sweet Cakey, or the club, or my brothers?

I probably wouldn't.

I wouldn't have what I have now.

A family.

And I'll be damned if I let someone destroy that. I don't care what that fucker Patrick thinks he'll achieve, but for now, it's nothing but fury.

"Kitten? Why are you up?" I turn when I hear Blake's sleepy voice behind me.

"Hey, I didn't mean to wake you up, I'm sorry." I whisper into his chest when he pulls me into his embrace.

"You didn't, I just felt cold without you." He teases, pressing a kiss to my head. I turn in his arms to stare at the city again.

"Cheesy." I chuckle forcibly, taking his hand off my waist and playing with his rings. We stay like that for a while, just watching the view and wearing nothing but our skin.

"What's bothering you, baby?" Blake whispers after a while, leaning his chin on my shoulder, rocking us slowly in a soothing manner.

"I'm just thinking..."

"About what?"

"Everything. I was just wondering how different would my life be if it weren't for my shitty parents and that fucker Patrick..."

"Why are you thinking about that?" I can tell Blake didn't expect that. He turns his head to stare at me worriedly, but I shush him with a quick kiss.

"I don't know. I guess the meeting with Anna shook me up more than I thought. She... she said she wants to get her daughter back..."

"Yeah, I remember."

"But do you know what she said when she found out about my fighting? She called me a criminal. She accused dad of raising a monster. I know I don't have the cleanest record, I've done many bad things, but I honestly thought she would react differently. I mean, how can she think she's allowed to judge my life choices when she's the one that left me? She abandoned me and yet she thinks she can tell me who I should be! She's the reason I'm like this. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't be with Alexander, I wouldn't be homeless, I wouldn't get raped by Patrick... That one little thing she did had so many consequences..."

"That was beyond her control, though. You know that."

"I know, but hearing her say those things to me, calling me stupid, a monster, a criminal, when she did nothing for me my whole life was infuriating. She has no idea what I've been through. While she was living in her big marble mansion with her loaded husband, I was starving in the streets, scavenging dumpsters for scraps. While she was enjoying her dresses and lavish lifestyle, I was homeless, raped and almost beaten to death. She has no right to give me any shit about the way I'm living my life." I rant angrily, feeling beyond frustrated with Anna. I won't call her my mother, she hasn't earned that title. Just giving birth to a child doesn't make you a mom.

"You're right baby. She has no right to have any demands when it comes to you. You don't have to earn her approval. She's just another of the many people in your life. She's no one important if you don't want her to be." Blake calmly states, kissing my neck softly.