Chapter 1

Four years earlier

Maddison tipped-toed up to her mom's room before pressing her little ear against the door. She made sure she was quiet, so she could listen even though it wasn't a problem hearing her parents argue and yell through the door.

"You aren't serious, Charlie!" Rachael spat out while holding her one-year-old son. The infant started to yell, causing the two adults to argue louder. "Hell yeah, I'm serious, Rachael!" Charlie stated while pacing back and forth with his hands over his ears. "But these are your kids too!" She cried. "I didn't make them on my own!"  "I know that! Shit! But, I didn't sign on for this!" Charlie admitted over the baby's screams. "Sign on for what, dammit? Rachael yelled at Charlie while gently bouncing her son in her arm, hoping to soothe him. Charlie just stared at the little boy as he just continued to cry. It seemed like he was a broken electronic toy that was stuck on one sound that wouldn't turn off. And it was driving Charlie mad.

Rachael, reading his mind, dared him again. "Sign on for what, Charlie? At least be a man and say what you feel. What's on your mind before you walk out for good!" She stated in anger.  He groaned frustrated that he couldn't even hear his own damn voice. "I didn't sign on to be the parent of a kid that is retarded!"

At that moment, the baby quieted down and the bedroom door open. Rachael's mouth dropped open at his choice of words before she looked to see their daughter stand there at the threshold. The look on the child's face ripped her to the core. But she held her ground and held her chin up. "Well, I guess it's a good thing that your name isn't on neither of MY children's birth certificates then."

Charlie ran a hand over his face as he huffed a quick breath. "Wait now, Rachael. Maddison's my baby too." Rachael stepped up to him, holding the baby in one hand. She used her free one to poke him in the chest. "If Kaleb isn't fit to be your child or a part of your life then neither is Maddy. And for your information, Kal was diagnosed Autistic!" She told him, her voice rising in anger. "HE HAS AUTISM! IT'S NOT SOMETHING HE CAN HELP! IT'S NOTHING HE OR I DID WRONG! HELL, IT'S NOTHING YOU DID WRONG! SOMETIMES THINGS HAPPEN IN LIFE! BUT, IF YOU WANT OUT THEN HERE'S YOUR OUT!" She screamed, leading him to the front door to open it up.

"I don't need you," Rachael said, trying to calm down. "I own this home. I own my own car.  My kids will be okay. And they are well taken care of. You want out then, be prepared to sign over your rights to both my babies. Make your decision right now. Both are yours or neither!" Charlie just looked at her. Rachael gave him a blank stare while her eyes were full of anger. He slowly stepped up to Maddison and tugged at her ponytail. "Maddy, baby, I-." He began when Maddison cut him off. "Daddy, is it true?  You don't want the baby?"

He opened and closed his mouth before sighing. "Maddy, how about just you and I spend some time together. Just the two of us." He suggested to Maddy. The little girl backed away looking at her daddy in a new light. She walked backward until she reached out and held her mommy's free hand before looking down. He looked off before he turning to walk out the door and out their lives. Rachael let go of her daughter's hand and moved quickly to the door. She locked up, before sliding down on the floor holding Kaleb and Maddy tightly before the two females started to cry.

Two months later

Rachael arrived home with a sleepy Kaleb in his car seat. She parked the car in front of the mailbox, reaching in to grab the mail. She tossed it in her lap before driving her Dodge caravan up into the driveway. Turning off the engine to park for the night, Rachael exhaled a tired breath. She then did her daily task of getting her son out of the car along with his bag and the mail. A tired smile graced her lips as she listened to him breathe softly, letting her know that she'll finally get a bit a peace and quiet to herself before Maddy's school bus brings her home.